There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What will 49ers do to improve their secondary?

Originally posted by CaptainTabasco:
I'm just curious, because it was pretty god-awful this year.
Not one player in the secondary's job is safe.

"CaptainTabasco"
Originally posted by 2cents:
say it 20 times as fast as you can.....
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara
asomoughamukamara

Start with taking the best CB on the board in the draft...in the 1st round. IMHO there aren't any QB's now worth a #7 pick. Trade Clements...especially if management's serious about re-signing Goldson. Coach up Mays seriously so he can be the FS. He's got more range than DG and could become the ballhawk we really need back there. I was mildly impressed with Tarrel Brown's improved play this season. He started out badly, but seemed to get better as the season went on. He's also a very good ST player. I'm anxious to see what Stoudamire and Adams can do, too.
I think the Niners have to think seriously about using their first two picks in the draft on the secondary.

First, there is going to be a pretty good CB on the board at 7, whether it is Peterson or Prince. Either has to be a huge favorite to be drafted, since the Niners are probably going to release Nate Clements this offseason for salary cap reasons.

Second, let's be realistic about the FS position. It is simply not stocked with guys who are very good. Goldson is a hitter, but is not generating the amount of turnovers needed for a starting NFL free safety. We need a playmaker in the secondary, and he is not it. Reggie Smith is a backup, plain and simple. And, Mays is a guy who might be able to someday play close to the LOS, but is lost in coverage. So, unless we draft a safety, we are going to be deficient in 2011.

With the additional of a playmaking FS, and a new starting CB, the back end of the defense looks pretty decent. Spencer is a rock. Let Goldson, Smith and Mays fight it out for the starting SS role.

Cheers.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners have to think seriously about using their first two picks in the draft on the secondary.

First, there is going to be a pretty good CB on the board at 7, whether it is Peterson or Prince. Either has to be a huge favorite to be drafted, since the Niners are probably going to release Nate Clements this offseason for salary cap reasons.

Second, let's be realistic about the FS position. It is simply not stocked with guys who are very good. Goldson is a hitter, but is not generating the amount of turnovers needed for a starting NFL free safety. We need a playmaker in the secondary, and he is not it. Reggie Smith is a backup, plain and simple. And, Mays is a guy who might be able to someday play close to the LOS, but is lost in coverage. So, unless we draft a safety, we are going to be deficient in 2011.

With the additional of a playmaking FS, and a new starting CB, the back end of the defense looks pretty decent. Spencer is a rock. Let Goldson, Smith and Mays fight it out for the starting SS role.

Cheers.

IMO there is not a QB in the first round worth spending our pick on. I am not sold on Prince, and Peterson will be long gone by #7. I would like to see the 49ers draft a pass rusher who will not allow the offense of the other team to have a month to throw the ball. Allow Harbaugh to draft the best QB where he sees fit from there out.

If Jed is true to his word that money is not a problem, keep Nate, but move him to safety. Do everything we possibly can to pull in Champ and Nnamdi. Since it is highly unlikely there will be a salary can after the CBA, the salary cap will no longer be a concern.

Jed has the opportunity to build a team much like his Uncle did. Spend the necessary money and bring in the best.
Even Dieon Sanders can't help you if the QB has 4 seconds to throw. Remember all those losing seasons with the Falcons? You can have the best secondary in the NFL but without a pass-rush it's all a waste of money.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Start with taking the best CB on the board in the draft...in the 1st round. IMHO there aren't any QB's now worth a #7 pick. Trade Clements...especially if management's serious about re-signing Goldson. Coach up Mays seriously so he can be the FS. He's got more range than DG and could become the ballhawk we really need back there. I was mildly impressed with Tarrel Brown's improved play this season. He started out badly, but seemed to get better as the season went on. He's also a very good ST player. I'm anxious to see what Stoudamire and Adams can do, too.

No way any team is taking Nate's contract. He would have to agree to a restructuring of his contract before a trade could go down.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
They need new safeties. Every safety on the roster is a liability in coverage.

or maybe they are just made to look that way...

explain that one to me plz? You always have good insight and thoughts. I just don't trust any of them in coverage. None of them make any plays in the passing game unless they are playing the Cardinals. The biggest play out of the entire unit was Mays recovering a blocked punt.

First, we can look at pass rush in general. How many times have we seen opposing QBs have 6+ seconds to decide where to go with a pass? Having this kind of time makes a DB's job impossible. Our D scheme is predictable and very rarely allows for free rushes.

How long does it take for the average receiver to complete his deep route after making a double move? This takes time, but can take even longer if the timing and progression of the route is altered... affected by a CB disrupting said route.

How often do we see our CBs playing 10 yards off the receiver? This allows WRs to have a clean release... allows them to build better momentum for deep passes... allows QBs to throw the ball quickly underneath, should they like what they see... and why wouldn't they? High % passes underneath appeal to QBs.

Everything we do schematically KILLS our DBs and pass rush.
Nnamdi and Prince!!! if harbaughs qb of choice isnt there at 7 i can see him picking Prince Akumara or whatever his last name is and getting a qb later in the draft. two shut down corners in one offseason
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Cheers.

If we're going to spend the first two picks on defense, I would like one on the CB and one on the DE or Pass-rusher. We have nothin' opposite Justin Smith, and may lose our NT too. We don't have a dominant pass-rusher either.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Even Dieon Sanders can't help you if the QB has 4 seconds to throw. Remember all those losing seasons with the Falcons? You can have the best secondary in the NFL but without a pass-rush it's all a waste of money.

He was still top flight corner. They just didn't win anything. I'm guessing you are trying to say drafting a shutdown corner won't translate to wins or an overall better defense? If that is your point, I agree. I'd rather go pass rusher if we stay at #7 as well or possibly trading down if some team is hungry for a top 10 player.
The key to fixing our secondary is to fix the pass rush. The Steelers haven't had a shutdown corner since Rod Woodson and with that front 7, you don't need one. I won't say shutdown corners are overrated, but they aren't necessary to have a great defense. If you look at the best defenses in the last 10+ years, whether it was Tampa, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England, etc, only Philadelphia really had really good corners who stood out (when they had Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown).

We've been spoiled by having some pretty great secondaries during our dominance, but they are not the key ingredient to building a great defense.

We need to upgrade the pass rusher by taking the best pass rusher available at #7. Send more pressure from all of the LB positions and DB from time to time. We also need a FS that can cover better so that we aren't burned by the better QBs in the league. I think Nate Clements, at a reduced salary, will look a lot better if he isnt playing 10 yards back. I also wouldn't be upset if we made a run at Asomougha. We have plenty of cap space and if we were to sign him, that takes care of a need we don't have to worry about in the first 4 rounds of the draft.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
asomougha, prince akksasdf, spencer, mays and reggie smith.

this

I'd even keep clements. best run support CB in the game!

where do you put him IF we were to get Prince and Awesomemuahh?

if we would ever have the chance of getting both prince and Nnamdi, the only way nate would stay on the team is if he would rework his contract and move to FS.
this would be awesome.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

What he said.