There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Popular veteran player Harbaugh will get rid of

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Every new coach that comes in usually dumps at least one popular vet player from the previous regime.

My money says its gonna be Gore.

To me Gore just doesn't have that team first attitude, he seems very concerned with his stats more then he does about the overall team success.

Here is how its probably gonna go down. Gore meets with Harbaugh: Harbaugh tells Gore that he is only gonna get about 50% of the carries because Harbaugh believes in the running back by committee approach. Gore gets pissed and tells Harbaugh to kick rocks, and Gore ends up getting traded for a mid round pick.

who do you think its gonna be ???

I'm all for trading Gore if we can get a 1st/2nd round pick for him.

I thought this was a serious thread?

Walsh and Belichek believed in getting rid of a player too soon rather than too late--so you never know.

The Niners in the past have let Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice and Charles Haley go. You never know.
Originally posted by valrod33:
My answer is Nate Clements

X2
Originally posted by fly15:

X2

Yah that dude will be gone for sure. His salary dont merit his play.
Originally posted by fly15:

X2

Yah that dude will be gone for sure. His salary dont merit his play.

ya hes popular
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
When you can have the yards per carry average that he has had throughout his career when everyone in the civilized free world KNOWS the 49ers are going to run the ball, yes I'd say you can make an argument that Gore is better than Roger Craig. When your team had no real offensive threats, meaning teams didn't have to gameplan for ANYONE else until Vernon Davis broke out in 2009, then yes, I'd say you can make an argument that Gore is better than Roger Craig (when teams had to gameplan for Dwight Clark, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Montana, etc).

No disrespect intended to Roger Craig, but I think because we have been terrible for so long, people are looking for someone to blame, dump, or minimize a particular players value value (Manny Lawson comes to mind).

These posts about trading gore are insane. I've heard reports that he doesn't want to come off of the field, but it's because the guy is passionate about the game. I have a hard time believing that he will have a problem coming off the field (which he did do when he was at Miami) once this team begins winning, IF the sharing of carries actually leads to us winning (which it will with better coaching and game planning).

Originally posted by Rizo:
[

I never claimed that he was better then Craig. and yes I have seen Roger Craig play. I do understand you wanting a RB that fits the WCO and I really do think Gore will do a awesome job in it. That's all I'm saying. He has awesome HANDS! He can catch anything. I actuallly think Gore fits the WCO way more then the spread or even a HARD NOISE RUNNING OFFENSE.

You guys saying he won't come off the field because "the guy is passionate about the game" is just as speculative as me saying it's because he wants his stats, correct? So it's unfair to call me or any other poster "insane" because we have an opinion. The OP asked what popular veteran might be gone, and I agree with his suggestion of Gore. I like Gore and his game, I just have my doubts about his willingness to fit into a "role," which is absolutely necessary in the WCO.

Now, does he have the skill set for the WCO? No doubt! I hope Harbaugh can get him to buy into it and be okay with not being the focus of the offense. If he can do that then we're set.

Originally posted by kidash:

He still is a good player no doubt. Just not sure if he will be on board with the new sheriff.

Again its just a possibility, I didn't start this thread to bash on Gore. I started it to see what other vets Harbaugh might dump.

As many have pointed out, not just in this thread, he welcomed all the different OC and played his heart out for all of them. What makes you think he will not do the same with this incoming coaches?

I think it was much easier to welcome the different OC's because they all featured him in the offense. He's now on a team and in a system where RB's are not valued as much. That's just how the NFL is now, I mean, look at the great teams. The Patriots, Colts, Saints, Ravens, Jets, Giants, etc all use a "committee" approach. And in a true WCO (like the Packers) the RB is easily interchangeable (yesterday's GE game is a prime example).

Again, I like Gore and his skill set. If he's willing to fit into a role and is okay with less carries and less focus, then great. But if not, and if we can get a 2nd rounder for him, I say do it.
Frank just wants to win guys. If Harbaugh can convince him that we'll get more W's with Westbrook & Dixion splitting carries, he probably wouldn't mind.
I for one am glad Gore want the ball every down. Why else would he be out there? It is the same for all the other great players in any sport. They all want that ball all the time.
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
Eric Heitmann.

He has some sort of issue with his neck that landed him on IR, he may just end up retiring.

Besides, Baas is Michigan man and he played pretty well this season.
What is this i'm hearing about Gore doesn't have a team first attitude? He wants the ball because he wants to win. All great players want the ball. Nothing wrong with that. He thinks he's the best back on the team (which he is correct) and he thinks he gives us the best chance to win (which he does).

Now as far as your question it could be
Nate Clements
Takeo Spikes
P. Haralson
A. Franklin
B. Jennings
D. Goldson
M. Lawson
Originally posted by miked1978:
What is this i'm hearing about Gore doesn't have a team first attitude? He wants the ball because he wants to win. All great players want the ball. Nothing wrong with that. He thinks he's the best back on the team (which he is correct) and he thinks he gives us the best chance to win (which he does).

Nate Clements
Takeo Spikes
P. Haralson
A. Franklin
B. Jennings
D. Goldson
M. Lawson

all those dudes are free agents, and Jennings is a long snapper not someone you want to mess with if he's doing his job
Originally posted by Furlow:
He still is a good player no doubt. Just not sure if he will be on board with the new sheriff.

Again its just a possibility, I didn't start this thread to bash on Gore. I started it to see what other vets Harbaugh might dump.

As many have pointed out, not just in this thread, he welcomed all the different OC and played his heart out for all of them. What makes you think he will not do the same with this incoming coaches?

I think it was much easier to welcome the different OC's because they all featured him in the offense. He's now on a team and in a system where RB's are not valued as much. That's just how the NFL is now, I mean, look at the great teams. The Patriots, Colts, Saints, Ravens, Jets, Giants, etc all use a "committee" approach. And in a true WCO (like the Packers) the RB is easily interchangeable (yesterday's GE game is a prime example).

Again, I like Gore and his skill set. If he's willing to fit into a role and is okay with less carries and less focus, then great. But if not, and if we can get a 2nd rounder for him, I say do it.

They featured him because HE WAS THE OFFENSE. Nolan and Sing, esp. Sing, wanted a power running game, in which the OC's we've had designed for. You're right that the RB's are in tandem now-a-days but even if so, Gore and Dixon would be those for our team. Westbrook, minus the fact that he's not signed, is way older and has more tear and wear than Gore, IMO.

IMO, Gore being here will depend on his latest injury. The dude has a LONG list of injuries and this last hip injury seemed to be fairly serious. If Gore can come back without loosing a step, then he'll be here.

Gore should be able to fit a WCO without any problems. He's great at running the ball, as we've all seen over the last 5 years. He's also great at catching the ball out of the backfield, as we've also seen over the last several years. And the X factor, his blitz pick up. Gore can pick up blitzing defenders with the best in the league, and this is why I think he's so important.

IMO, Gore gives an offense a triple threat. Runner, pass catcher, and blitz pick up.....he can do it all.
If Gore can come back 100% from his latest injury, he'll be a Niner in 2011.
Originally posted by niners:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Just imagine Frank Gore being in an offense where he does not need to deal with these:

1. Defense knowing exactly where he will run
2. Defense knowing the passing game ain't s**t
3. 3rd down draws
4. Defense knowing exactly when he's going to run.

Exactly. The guy consistently gets over 1,000 yards and over 4.2, normally above 4.5 per carry when EVERYONE knows we will run. With a decent passing game, Gore is closer to 5.0 per carry, and with run blocking similar to what he had in 2006, look out.

he can no longer stay healthy for a full season. time to go.

that's why you share the load. This is a 2 back league. We had to be the only team using 1 back the whole game.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Nate Clements
Takeo Spikes
P. Haralson
A. Franklin
B. Jennings
D. Goldson
M. Lawson

all those dudes are free agents, and Jennings is a long snapper not someone you want to mess with if he's doing his job

I don't know if he should be necessarily cut, but Nate Clements gives up a lot of BIG PLAYS.
Originally posted by Furlow:

They featured him because HE WAS THE OFFENSE. Nolan and Sing, esp. Sing, wanted a power running game, in which the OC's we've had designed for. You're right that the RB's are in tandem now-a-days but even if so, Gore and Dixon would be those for our team. Westbrook, minus the fact that he's not signed, is way older and has more tear and wear than Gore, IMO.

I don't disagree with any of that, I was responding to you saying that Gore "welcomed all the different OC's" as evidence that he's a team player. If he welcomes his now diminished role in Harbaugh's WCO, then I'll eat crow (where the heck did that saying come from anyway? lol). He's our most talented back by far, so I hope I'm wrong or I hope he's matured and looks at winning being greater than his own success.