LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

Popular veteran player Harbaugh will get rid of

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
As for running backs...a lot of you act like you can just pick up a running back with no problem like it's so easy to replace Gore. If it was so easy, how come most of are backups have done jack squat? If it's so easy to pick up good running backs, you should help out the Broncos, Colts, Cardinals, etc.

When you have an offense that centers around a QB and the passing game, then yes, it is easy to just pick up a RB and replace your starter. The Broncos with Shanahan did it, the Packers and Patriots this year, the Saints, the Colts, the Chargers etc. You can't throw in the Broncos and Cardinals this year because they have much bigger problems than RB.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Can't trade him, don't know when or in what shape he will return, he fits the bill for a pass catching power runner, he is fearless, and he can't go anywhere else injured. So why would the 9ers cut him?

Norris, Gore's buddy is another question...he's gone.
Nedney if he looks like his injury is lingering.
Walker because he is injury prone and blocking is questionable for a TE.
Spikes in a youth move (though I think this would be a mistake).
Clements if he doesn't restructure.
Sims-youth move.

Many of these players are favorites of mine, Walker for instance, but looking at it from a practical point of view this is the way it will go.

Norris- agreed
Nedney- could be
Walker- no way. The offense he runs is all about the TE's. Walker has been getting a lot better. I can say with 99.9% confidence Walker will remain a 49er.
Spikes- idk how you get rid of someone who no longer belongs to the organization but as far as bringing him back it just depends on 1. DC and if we run the 3-4 or 4-3 2. if Spikes wants to play for us again. (I'm expecting Willis to talk to Hatbaugh about extending his contract)
Clements- it will all depend if he takes a pay cut. I am for him staying a 9er because of the fact that we have no one better on the roster and he is one of the best tackling cb's in the NFL.(yes I know you hate him blah blah blah the fact is we have no one better on the roster.
Simms- ehh I don't care

Who is Simms??

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

Now you're just nitpicking... If I had said 20-24 then that would have been okay? I was just estimating. 23.3, 25, 20.2 - they're all too much to "average" for a season, period. RB's that do that don't last long and offenses that favor one RB like that aren't successful anymore.

Everyone keeps saying we have to have a "replacement" for any player that we trade or release. It's just not that simple... The salary cap, a player's salary, his age, his longevity, etc all play into the delicate balance of when you get rid of someone. Walsh was a master at it, so are the Patriots/Belichick. My only point is that we need to get back to that type of thinking. What can we get for Gore? I have no idea, but neither do any of you. It's all just speculation on our parts. But I see no reason why we wouldn't at least entertain the idea.

No, I'm not nit-picking... saying 20-24 would have been just as bad. He still never averaged that many touches. You'd still be exaggerating. As far as "too many touches", that's your opinion. Many coaches around the league seem to disagree with you. Even when sharing carries, many backs get 20 touches a game.

Why hasn't Belichik traded Tom Brady? He's getting old, isn't he? He missed a season because of injury and has had nagging injuries all season. It is simple... you don't trade your best players when you don't have someone to replace them. Frank Gore is one of this team's best players and we don't have a replacement.

If we had a replacement for Gore, of course I would listen to trade offers. As it stands, we have one other running back on the roster... Anthony Dixon. He hasn't exactly proven himself, has he.

Call it speculation if you want, but try to be realistic. Gore is still 28 years old with a broken hip.

We'll see what happens, but this seems pretty unrealistic to me. You're right... that's just my opinion.
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
As for running backs...a lot of you act like you can just pick up a running back with no problem like it's so easy to replace Gore. If it was so easy, how come most of are backups have done jack squat? If it's so easy to pick up good running backs, you should help out the Broncos, Colts, Cardinals, etc.

When you have an offense that centers around a QB and the passing game, then yes, it is easy to just pick up a RB and replace your starter. The Broncos with Shanahan did it, the Packers and Patriots this year, the Saints, the Colts, the Chargers etc. You can't throw in the Broncos and Cardinals this year because they have much bigger problems than RB.

When you establish the pass first, the RBs have an easier time. But, they still must be good in order to be good. Shanahan, or someone in his scouting group, must have a very fine eye for RBs because he consistently found guys that did well. NE has the same knack but not to quite the degree as Denver did. The common thread--great QBs and who were able to recognize Ds and take advantage.
I dont think Barry Sims will be back
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Now you're just nitpicking... If I had said 20-24 then that would have been okay? I was just estimating. 23.3, 25, 20.2 - they're all too much to "average" for a season, period. RB's that do that don't last long and offenses that favor one RB like that aren't successful anymore.

Everyone keeps saying we have to have a "replacement" for any player that we trade or release. It's just not that simple... The salary cap, a player's salary, his age, his longevity, etc all play into the delicate balance of when you get rid of someone. Walsh was a master at it, so are the Patriots/Belichick. My only point is that we need to get back to that type of thinking. What can we get for Gore? I have no idea, but neither do any of you. It's all just speculation on our parts. But I see no reason why we wouldn't at least entertain the idea.

No, I'm not nit-picking... saying 20-24 would have been just as bad. He still never averaged that many touches. You'd still be exaggerating. As far as "too many touches", that's your opinion. Many coaches around the league seem to disagree with you. Even when sharing carries, many backs get 20 touches a game.

Why hasn't Belichik traded Tom Brady? He's getting old, isn't he? He missed a season because of injury and has had nagging injuries all season. It is simple... you don't trade your best players when you don't have someone to replace them. Frank Gore is one of this team's best players and we don't have a replacement.

If we had a replacement for Gore, of course I would listen to trade offers. As it stands, we have one other running back on the roster... Anthony Dixon. He hasn't exactly proven himself, has he.

Call it speculation if you want, but try to be realistic. Gore is still 28 years old with a broken hip.

We'll see what happens, but this seems pretty unrealistic to me. You're right... that's just my opinion.

I think you're being a little sensitive calling it "exaggerating." I was giving a range. Stating a range of 20.2-23.3 just sounds dumb. Had I said averaged 25, that would be exaggerating and misrepresenting.

I also stated previously that not every position is treated the same, particularly franchise QB's like Brady. Brady is not nearly as "old" in football life as Gore is anyway, so not a fair comparison. Now Favre...

As far as replacements for guys we get rid of, I don't think a team should be rigid. Sure there might be a drop off in RB production without Gore but then that frees up money/cap space for another position, and also touches for other offensive weapons. The 49ers of the 80's didn't always have the same player as the "star" each year, and neither should we now. If Gore was gone then someone else would step up and produce, simple as that. The Patriots are a prime example of a team doing that right now. There was no need to "replace" Randy Moss, the production simply went to other players. The offense changed. I hope our philosophy is similar to that.

I've said many times if we can't get good value for Gore, then of course keep him (assuming he buys into his new reduced role). But he's not so good that he's untradeable.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Clements will be sent packing, should have made this a poll question.
LOL i think Harbaugh is smart enough not to make his first big cut in the NFL the franchises best RB since HOFer Joe Perry.

Gore isnt even 28 yet. Harbaugh would be a fool to get rid of his kind of talent, regardless of what kind of team player Gore is.

btw when Gore got hurt this year, they had to hide his helmet so he wouldnt try to sneak in the game. players who are all about themselves wouldnt risk further injury. its not a good business move. players who want to help their team win would try and get back into the game.
Originally posted by Niners99:
LOL i think Harbaugh is smart enough not to make his first big cut in the NFL the franchises best RB since HOFer Joe Perry.

Gore isnt even 28 yet. Harbaugh would be a fool to get rid of his kind of talent, regardless of what kind of team player Gore is.

btw when Gore got hurt this year, they had to hide his helmet so he wouldnt try to sneak in the game. players who are all about themselves wouldnt risk further injury. its not a good business move. players who want to help their team win would try and get back into the game.

whatever dude frank gore was just trying to pad his stats and stuff, he is not a team player
Originally posted by valrod33:

whatever dude frank gore was just trying to pad his stats and stuff, he is not a team player

lol how the heck do you know if Gore is a team player or not? you play on the team with him?

theres never been anything said from anyone who could know that, to suggest he isnt a team player.

I know we screamed for a house cleaning to go down but this is more like a staff tornado tearing thru. That's how ya run a team.

lol how the heck do you know if Gore is a team player or not? you play on the team with him?

theres never been anything said from anyone who could know that, to suggest he isnt a team player.

Don't take Valrod posts seriously.

• JMAD
  • Veteran
Clements
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Every new coach that comes in usually dumps at least one popular vet player from the previous regime.

My money says its gonna be Gore.

To me Gore just doesn't have that team first attitude, he seems very concerned with his stats more then he does about the overall team success.

Here is how its probably gonna go down. Gore meets with Harbaugh: Harbaugh tells Gore that he is only gonna get about 50% of the carries because Harbaugh believes in the running back by committee approach. Gore gets pissed and tells Harbaugh to kick rocks, and Gore ends up getting traded for a mid round pick.

who do you think its gonna be ???

Where do you come up with this. I think gore is a self-less player. He wants the rock, but would you want him if he didn't?
Share 49ersWebzone