LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Popular veteran player Harbaugh will get rid of

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

These are their highest totals, ever. Gore touches the ball more than this every season. Consistently 20-25 touches a game and it has worn him out. His injuries are well documented, he needs a few series off every game and that will help him tremendously. I didn't say he shouldn't start or shouldn't get the majority of touches. Nor did I say that the Walsh era didn't have a main RB. What I said was the offense back then didn't revolve around the RB.

I love stats, stats are fun (borrowed from Wodwo)

If you're going to borrow my statistics, represent them correctly.

Frank Gore has had around 20 touches a game except in 2006... when he was our entire offense, but was used correctly.

The only other time he had more was this season. That was because Mike Singletary is an idiot.

Before this season Frank Gore has only missed five games due to injury. Five games in four years is not that big a deal. Running backs get injured all the time. He's never had a severe injury (in the NFL) until this season and finished each of those other four seasons with over 1,000 yards rushing on terrible teams.

Mike Singletary had Frank Gore running "Power O" up the gut and landing under a pile of 300+ Lbs. linemen almost every carry. Mike Singletary wanted to run the ball more... and would have if we hadn't been losing nearly every game.

The power running game that we used is likely what caused the fracture in Gore's hip. Before this season, Gore did not land under piles nearly as often. As a bone is repeatedly put under stress, it begins to weaken as the porous internal structure is destroyed. This can result in a stress fracture from a low impact collision. It has been reported that Gore's hip was broken when a safety from the Cardinals landed on it after he was tackled.

This type of injury can be very serious, but in Gore's case it does not appear to be. Because the porous internal structure of the bone carries blood, if the hip is displaced the blood flow can be interrupted. If this were the case Gore would have required surgery, but he did not. This is good news, but it is still a serious injury and should not be taken lightly. His carries are going to have to be reduced.

So, in other words... BLAME SINGLETARY.

Gore would have been fine continuing at 20 touches a game if not for that idiot.

I agree that Gore won't have 2nd round trade value, I was throwing out a hypothetical to prove a point to the poster who basically said Gore was untradeable. To me, every player except a franchise QB is tradeable. Especially aging RB's.

And I didn't misrepresnt anything. I was responding to the poster's claim that Walsh era RB's were "featured" like Gore is. They were not. Gore's touches

2006 (first full year) - 23.3 per game
2007 - 20.8 per game
2008 - 20.2 per game
2009 - 20.7 per game
2010 - 22.6 per game

I said he's had 20-25 per game for his entire career, and that's true. IMO, 20 should be the MAX, not the average. There are studies that show that an NFL tackle is the equivalent of a 20 mph car crash. Link So imagine that 20-25 times a game! If you can limit that by even 3-5 times a game it will have a tremendous impact on a player's health over the course of a season. Here's another interesting article I found describing NFL hits: LINK

Anyway, my point wasn't to bash Gore. He's a great talent and I like his game. As long as he's okay with a reduced role in the new system then keep him. But if some team felt they were one RB away from a championship (Tampa Bay, Green Bay, etc) and offered good value, why not listen to them? The same goes for any other player on our team.

I believe when people say "untradable", they are looking at things with some thought. You have to consider value, and if the trade is at all worthwhile. If a player is important to your team, but not so much to any other teams to the level of them offering very much, then that is a trade that would not be pursued. Thus the player is considered untradable. The only reason you would trade a player like Gore for not much in return is if you already have the next starter in place. That is not the case here.
Originally posted by Pick6:
RB's are overrated to begin with... which makes Gore EXTREMELY overrated. Have you guys not seen the RB's that are starting around the league and where they come from? More and more teams are using dual RB's as well... there is plenty of talent out there at RB.

As for Thomas Jones - he was AWFUL this year...

I don't know that I cut Gore (unless provoked to do so) but I definately begin planning for his replacement (last year). IMHO he has maybe 2 or 3 years left...

As for the Patriots and how they handle players - name their leading rusher for the last 5 years. Hint - its been 4 different guys... Lawrence Maroney is the only guy on the list twice and they traded him to Denver. The other three - Ben Jarvis Green Ellis, Sammy Morris and Corey Dillon.

Someone said if the Pats had a capable back up behind Brady they would trade Brady?! Uh, Matt Cassell threw for over 4,000 yards... then was traded to the Chiefs. Dion Branch, Maroney, Troy Brown, Terry Glen, David Givens - ALL contributed significantly and were cut or traded.

You wanna see ugly at 30 - look up RB's... I could probably list 10 RB's off the top of my head whose production was nearly (if not) cut in half post 30.

Belichick, Walsh... they got it. Its better to get read of a player a year too early than a year too late.

Are you referring to me about Brady and the Pats? If so, you should read what I said again.

As for running backs...a lot of you act like you can just pick up a running back with no problem like it's so easy to replace Gore. If it was so easy, how come most of are backups have done jack squat? If it's so easy to pick up good running backs, you should help out the Broncos, Colts, Cardinals, etc.
[ Edited by YOUNGster08 on Jan 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM ]
Every player has a price tag and every good coach is always looking for the replacements as soon as the ink dries on the contract. Walsh bringing Young before Montana started to diminish is an excellent example of this. A healthy Gore might bring in a draft choice and Josh Johnson but right now, I can see no way anyone would trade for Gore. We keep Gore and hope he comes back to form by next fall. He is very versatile, excelling in all three areas of a RB: blocking, running and recieving.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:04 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I agree that Gore won't have 2nd round trade value, I was throwing out a hypothetical to prove a point to the poster who basically said Gore was untradeable. To me, every player except a franchise QB is tradeable. Especially aging RB's.

And I didn't misrepresnt anything. I was responding to the poster's claim that Walsh era RB's were "featured" like Gore is. They were not. Gore's touches

2007 - 20.8 per game
2008 - 20.2 per game
2009 - 20.7 per game
2010 - 22.6 per game

I said he's had 20-25 per game for his entire career, and that's true. IMO, 20 should be the MAX, not the average. There are studies that show that an NFL tackle is the equivalent of a 20 mph car crash. Link So imagine that 20-25 times a game! If you can limit that by even 3-5 times a game it will have a tremendous impact on a player's health over the course of a season. Here's another interesting article I found describing NFL hits: LINK

Anyway, my point wasn't to bash Gore. He's a great talent and I like his game. As long as he's okay with a reduced role in the new system then keep him. But if some team felt they were one RB away from a championship (Tampa Bay, Green Bay, etc) and offered good value, why not listen to them? The same goes for any other player on our team.

Frank Gore has no trade value. 28 years old coming off a broken hip. What are you thinking we could get for him... realistically? It certainly won't be what he'll be worth to this team. So you tell me if it would be a good idea to trade him.

You most certainly did misrepresent my statistics. Saying "consistently 20-25 touches per game" is a total misrepresentation. He's never averaged 25 touches a game, that is an exaggeration and misrepresents my statistics.

Don't mess with my stats, man.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Every player has a price tag and every good coach is always looking for the replacements as soon as the ink dries on the contract. Walsh bringing Young before Montana started to diminish is an excellent example of this. A healthy Gore might bring in a draft choice and Josh Johnson but right now, I can see no way anyone would trade for Gore. We keep Gore and hope he comes back to form by next fall. He is very versatile, excelling in all three areas of a RB: blocking, running and recieving.

Walsh bringing in Young is not a very good example because he ultimately wanted Young to be traded, not Montana, at the the time Seifert dumped Montana off to the Chiefs.
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:

Walsh bringing in Young is not a very good example because he ultimately wanted Young to be traded, not Montana, at the the time Seifert dumped Montana off to the Chiefs.

You must not be old enough to remember Walsh gushing over Young and talking about him revolutionizing the game. No, Walsh brought Young in to take Joe's place.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM ]

You must not be old enough to remember Walsh gushing over Young and talking about him revolutionizing the game. No, Walsh brought Young in to take Joe's place.

That's funny because he actually said in a video a few years back that he wanted the niners to trade Young and keep Montana for a couple more years while the niners could develop another quarterback. If I find the clip, I'll post it.

That's funny because he actually said in a video a few years back that he wanted the niners to trade Young and keep Montana for a couple more years while the niners could develop another quarterback. If I find the clip, I'll post it.

I would appreciate it if you could. But, he did not bring Young in to trade him. If that came to him as an after thought well and good.

I would appreciate it if you could. But, he did not bring Young in to trade him. If that came to him as an after thought well and good.

Yeah, I'll let you know if I find it. I think the main reason he brought in Young was as an insurance policy and Walsh would always bring in someone to compete with his players, that's how he got the best out of them.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for dtg_9er.

Yeah, I'll let you know if I find it. I think the main reason he brought in Young was as an insurance policy and Walsh would always bring in someone to compete with his players, that's how he got the best out of them.

That we can definately agree on!

I'm actually interest on his thought of D-Love and how he will use him.
I think as long as the niners win gore will be happy with whatever situation he is, you guys gotta think about it, this guy hasn't gone to the playoffs just like the rest of his teammates since they got into the NFL, i would be mad too if im him. He said it before " anything to help the TEAM wins ", also you gotta remember what tony gerheart did at stanford under harbaugh, Gore is needed in this team i doubt he'll be traded or cut. Im not saying he's the main part but he is PART of what they are trying to build.

Bringing Young in as a potential future replacement for Montana made a lot of sense. He had taken a pounding over the years and recently had back surgery to repair a herniated disk. Bill Walsh needed a QB of the future and Steve Young was it.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

Bringing Young in as a potential future replacement for Montana made a lot of sense. He had taken a pounding over the years and recently had back surgery to repair a herniated disk. Bill Walsh needed a QB of the future and Steve Young was it.

That's why I said insurance policy. There was a program on NFL Network not too long ago where Walsh had said he recommended the niners trade Young and keep Montana because he still had a couple of years left in him and the niners should draft another QB. I remember it because Young is my favorite player of all time and I was shocked Walsh said that. If anyone else remembers what program, can you find a clip of it?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

2007 - 20.8 per game
2008 - 20.2 per game
2009 - 20.7 per game
2010 - 22.6 per game

Frank Gore has no trade value. 28 years old coming off a broken hip. What are you thinking we could get for him... realistically? It certainly won't be what he'll be worth to this team. So you tell me if it would be a good idea to trade him.

You most certainly did misrepresent my statistics. Saying "consistently 20-25 touches per game" is a total misrepresentation. He's never averaged 25 touches a game, that is an exaggeration and misrepresents my statistics.

Don't mess with my stats, man.

Now you're just nitpicking... If I had said 20-24 then that would have been okay? I was just estimating. 23.3, 25, 20.2 - they're all too much to "average" for a season, period. RB's that do that don't last long and offenses that favor one RB like that aren't successful anymore.

Everyone keeps saying we have to have a "replacement" for any player that we trade or release. It's just not that simple... The salary cap, a player's salary, his age, his longevity, etc all play into the delicate balance of when you get rid of someone. Walsh was a master at it, so are the Patriots/Belichick. My only point is that we need to get back to that type of thinking. What can we get for Gore? I have no idea, but neither do any of you. It's all just speculation on our parts. But I see no reason why we wouldn't at least entertain the idea.
Share 49ersWebzone