LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Popular veteran player Harbaugh will get rid of

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Every new coach that comes in usually dumps at least one popular vet player from the previous regime.

My money says its gonna be Gore.

To me Gore just doesn't have that team first attitude, he seems very concerned with his stats more then he does about the overall team success.

Here is how its probably gonna go down. Gore meets with Harbaugh: Harbaugh tells Gore that he is only gonna get about 50% of the carries because Harbaugh believes in the running back by committee approach. Gore gets pissed and tells Harbaugh to kick rocks, and Gore ends up getting traded for a mid round pick.

who do you think its gonna be ???

I'm all for trading Gore if we can get a 1st/2nd round pick for him.

I thought this was a serious thread?

Yes.

Speculating about getting a 1st or 2nd round pick for Frank is not the mark of a serious thread.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
RB's are overrated to begin with... which makes Gore EXTREMELY overrated. Have you guys not seen the RB's that are starting around the league and where they come from? More and more teams are using dual RB's as well... there is plenty of talent out there at RB.

As for Thomas Jones - he was AWFUL this year...

I don't know that I cut Gore (unless provoked to do so) but I definately begin planning for his replacement (last year). IMHO he has maybe 2 or 3 years left...

As for the Patriots and how they handle players - name their leading rusher for the last 5 years. Hint - its been 4 different guys... Lawrence Maroney is the only guy on the list twice and they traded him to Denver. The other three - Ben Jarvis Green Ellis, Sammy Morris and Corey Dillon.

Someone said if the Pats had a capable back up behind Brady they would trade Brady?! Uh, Matt Cassell threw for over 4,000 yards... then was traded to the Chiefs. Dion Branch, Maroney, Troy Brown, Terry Glen, David Givens - ALL contributed significantly and were cut or traded.

You wanna see ugly at 30 - look up RB's... I could probably list 10 RB's off the top of my head whose production was nearly (if not) cut in half post 30.

Belichick, Walsh... they got it. Its better to get read of a player a year too early than a year too late.
Originally posted by Pick6:
RB's are overrated to begin with... which makes Gore EXTREMELY overrated. Have you guys not seen the RB's that are starting around the league and where they come from? More and more teams are using dual RB's as well... there is plenty of talent out there at RB.

As for Thomas Jones - he was AWFUL this year...

I don't know that I cut Gore (unless provoked to do so) but I definately begin planning for his replacement (last year). IMHO he has maybe 2 or 3 years left...

As for the Patriots and how they handle players - name their leading rusher for the last 5 years. Hint - its been 4 different guys... Lawrence Maroney is the only guy on the list twice and they traded him to Denver. The other three - Ben Jarvis Green Ellis, Sammy Morris and Corey Dillon.

Someone said if the Pats had a capable back up behind Brady they would trade Brady?! Uh, Matt Cassell threw for over 4,000 yards... then was traded to the Chiefs. Dion Branch, Maroney, Troy Brown, Terry Glen, David Givens - ALL contributed significantly and were cut or traded.

You wanna see ugly at 30 - look up RB's... I could probably list 10 RB's off the top of my head whose production was nearly (if not) cut in half post 30.

Belichick, Walsh... they got it. Its better to get read of a player a year too early than a year too late.

Are you really trying to compare the Pats and the Niners? Claiming that the Pats were still a success after off-loading a bunch of players HAS NOTHING TO DO with this Niner team. Do you know why the Pats were/are a success, even after getting rid of good players? They have a great QB, one of the best QBs to play the game.

Just cause the Pats can get rid of talented players doesn't mean the Niners can do it. Hmmm.... I seem to remember the Yorks doing the same thing after 2002, didn't they get rid of some talent? How did that work out?
Agree Clements is a more likely candidate. Hopefully they can find a trading partner...but his big salary will be something he'll have to be willing to renegotiate. If they're serious about keeping Goldson, that would most likely squash any thoughts about migrating Nate to S. Another guy, probably not as popular, but equally deserving of the boot is Haralson. He had that one good season...and has largely sucked since then. They may already have his replacement...Gibson. I guess you could also look at Brooks as a replacement. Either way, we need a lot more consistent pass rushing and overall OLB play than Haralson's been giving.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Agree Clements is a more likely candidate. Hopefully they can find a trading partner...but his big salary will be something he'll have to be willing to renegotiate. If they're serious about keeping Goldson, that would most likely squash any thoughts about migrating Nate to S. Another guy, probably not as popular, but equally deserving of the boot is Haralson. He had that one good season...and has largely sucked since then. They may already have his replacement...Gibson. I guess you could also look at Brooks as a replacement. Either way, we need a lot more consistent pass rushing and overall OLB play than Haralson's been giving.

How much is Clements making this year? I thought a lot of his salary wasn't guaranteed.
Nobody fumbles the ball like Frank Gore, he almost makes an art of it amidst 'clutch' situations.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Nobody fumbles the ball like Frank Gore, he almost makes an art of it amidst 'clutch' situations.

Gore has lost four fumbles the last two seasons.

Ahmad Bradshaw lost six this season.

Peyton Hillis lost five this season.

Cedric Benson lost five this season.

Stop picking on Frank Gore!

You're right... Gore fumbles too much.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'm the Tampa Bay Bucs and I offer you my 2nd round pick (#20 in round 2) for Frank Gore.

Gore will not have any trade value. He just broke his hip and he's going to be 28.

Stop talking crazy.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Gore has lost four fumbles the last two seasons.

Ahmad Bradshaw lost six this season.

Peyton Hillis lost five this season.

Cedric Benson lost five this season.

Stop picking on Frank Gore!

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

How much is Clements making this year? I thought a lot of his salary wasn't guaranteed.

It isn't but if a team trades for him then they take the rest of his contract with him. If that team then cuts him then they don't have to pay him thus his contract isn't guaranteed. Thus why teams wouldn't trade for him b/c at his salary they all know that the Niners would likely cut him if he doesn't restructure.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

These are their highest totals, ever. Gore touches the ball more than this every season. Consistently 20-25 touches a game and it has worn him out. His injuries are well documented, he needs a few series off every game and that will help him tremendously. I didn't say he shouldn't start or shouldn't get the majority of touches. Nor did I say that the Walsh era didn't have a main RB. What I said was the offense back then didn't revolve around the RB.

I love stats, stats are fun (borrowed from Wodwo)

If you're going to borrow my statistics, represent them correctly.

Frank Gore has had around 20 touches a game except in 2006... when he was our entire offense, but was used correctly.

The only other time he had more was this season. That was because Mike Singletary is an idiot.

Before this season Frank Gore has only missed five games due to injury. Five games in four years is not that big a deal. Running backs get injured all the time. He's never had a severe injury (in the NFL) until this season and finished each of those other four seasons with over 1,000 yards rushing on terrible teams.

Mike Singletary had Frank Gore running "Power O" up the gut and landing under a pile of 300+ Lbs. linemen almost every carry. Mike Singletary wanted to run the ball more... and would have if we hadn't been losing nearly every game.

The power running game that we used is likely what caused the fracture in Gore's hip. Before this season, Gore did not land under piles nearly as often. As a bone is repeatedly put under stress, it begins to weaken as the porous internal structure is destroyed. This can result in a stress fracture from a low impact collision. It has been reported that Gore's hip was broken when a safety from the Cardinals landed on it after he was tackled.

This type of injury can be very serious, but in Gore's case it does not appear to be. Because the porous internal structure of the bone carries blood, if the hip is displaced the blood flow can be interrupted. If this were the case Gore would have required surgery, but he did not. This is good news, but it is still a serious injury and should not be taken lightly. His carries are going to have to be reduced.

So, in other words... BLAME SINGLETARY.

Gore would have been fine continuing at 20 touches a game if not for that idiot.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skynet907:

Are you upset about something?
Clements - needs to move to strong safety (even Lott lost his speed) and cut his salary or else bye bye baby.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
When you can have the yards per carry average that he has had throughout his career when everyone in the civilized free world KNOWS the 49ers are going to run the ball, yes I'd say you can make an argument that Gore is better than Roger Craig. When your team had no real offensive threats, meaning teams didn't have to gameplan for ANYONE else until Vernon Davis broke out in 2009, then yes, I'd say you can make an argument that Gore is better than Roger Craig (when teams had to gameplan for Dwight Clark, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Montana, etc).

No disrespect intended to Roger Craig, but I think because we have been terrible for so long, people are looking for someone to blame, dump, or minimize a particular players value value (Manny Lawson comes to mind).

These posts about trading gore are insane. I've heard reports that he doesn't want to come off of the field, but it's because the guy is passionate about the game. I have a hard time believing that he will have a problem coming off the field (which he did do when he was at Miami) once this team begins winning, IF the sharing of carries actually leads to us winning (which it will with better coaching and game planning).

Originally posted by Rizo:
[

I never claimed that he was better then Craig. and yes I have seen Roger Craig play. I do understand you wanting a RB that fits the WCO and I really do think Gore will do a awesome job in it. That's all I'm saying. He has awesome HANDS! He can catch anything. I actuallly think Gore fits the WCO way more then the spread or even a HARD NOISE RUNNING OFFENSE.

You guys saying he won't come off the field because "the guy is passionate about the game" is just as speculative as me saying it's because he wants his stats, correct? So it's unfair to call me or any other poster "insane" because we have an opinion. The OP asked what popular veteran might be gone, and I agree with his suggestion of Gore. I like Gore and his game, I just have my doubts about his willingness to fit into a "role," which is absolutely necessary in the WCO.

Now, does he have the skill set for the WCO? No doubt! I hope Harbaugh can get him to buy into it and be okay with not being the focus of the offense. If he can do that then we're set.

Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by susweel:

He still is a good player no doubt. Just not sure if he will be on board with the new sheriff.

Again its just a possibility, I didn't start this thread to bash on Gore. I started it to see what other vets Harbaugh might dump.

As many have pointed out, not just in this thread, he welcomed all the different OC and played his heart out for all of them. What makes you think he will not do the same with this incoming coaches?

I think it was much easier to welcome the different OC's because they all featured him in the offense. He's now on a team and in a system where RB's are not valued as much. That's just how the NFL is now, I mean, look at the great teams. The Patriots, Colts, Saints, Ravens, Jets, Giants, etc all use a "committee" approach. And in a true WCO (like the Packers) the RB is easily interchangeable (yesterday's GE game is a prime example).

Again, I like Gore and his skill set. If he's willing to fit into a role and is okay with less carries and less focus, then great. But if not, and if we can get a 2nd rounder for him, I say do it.

I referenced his time at Miami where he split carries and he did not complain. He didn't moan about it or pull an Albert Haynesworth. If he has to share carries with a Brian Westbrook who has shown to be a more than capable backup, he'll be fine with it. And this is based on him being in a similar situation in the past.

I do agree with the final point about trading him if he is against sharing carries, however I have a hard time believing it will come to that.

Also the theory about dumping running backs at 30, it all depends. The running backs that have had a sharp decline at 30 are those who had a high number of carries every season. That really didn't apply to Gore until this season. So I expect him to continue to be productive, even into his 30s. And if we work Westbrook and Dixon into the rotation more, that move all but assures he will be.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

These are their highest totals, ever. Gore touches the ball more than this every season. Consistently 20-25 touches a game and it has worn him out. His injuries are well documented, he needs a few series off every game and that will help him tremendously. I didn't say he shouldn't start or shouldn't get the majority of touches. Nor did I say that the Walsh era didn't have a main RB. What I said was the offense back then didn't revolve around the RB.

I love stats, stats are fun (borrowed from Wodwo)

If you're going to borrow my statistics, represent them correctly.

Frank Gore has had around 20 touches a game except in 2006... when he was our entire offense, but was used correctly.

The only other time he had more was this season. That was because Mike Singletary is an idiot.

Before this season Frank Gore has only missed five games due to injury. Five games in four years is not that big a deal. Running backs get injured all the time. He's never had a severe injury (in the NFL) until this season and finished each of those other four seasons with over 1,000 yards rushing on terrible teams.

Mike Singletary had Frank Gore running "Power O" up the gut and landing under a pile of 300+ Lbs. linemen almost every carry. Mike Singletary wanted to run the ball more... and would have if we hadn't been losing nearly every game.

The power running game that we used is likely what caused the fracture in Gore's hip. Before this season, Gore did not land under piles nearly as often. As a bone is repeatedly put under stress, it begins to weaken as the porous internal structure is destroyed. This can result in a stress fracture from a low impact collision. It has been reported that Gore's hip was broken when a safety from the Cardinals landed on it after he was tackled.

This type of injury can be very serious, but in Gore's case it does not appear to be. Because the porous internal structure of the bone carries blood, if the hip is displaced the blood flow can be interrupted. If this were the case Gore would have required surgery, but he did not. This is good news, but it is still a serious injury and should not be taken lightly. His carries are going to have to be reduced.

So, in other words... BLAME SINGLETARY.

Gore would have been fine continuing at 20 touches a game if not for that idiot.

I agree that Gore won't have 2nd round trade value, I was throwing out a hypothetical to prove a point to the poster who basically said Gore was untradeable. To me, every player except a franchise QB is tradeable. Especially aging RB's.

And I didn't misrepresnt anything. I was responding to the poster's claim that Walsh era RB's were "featured" like Gore is. They were not. Gore's touches

2006 (first full year) - 23.3 per game
2007 - 20.8 per game
2008 - 20.2 per game
2009 - 20.7 per game
2010 - 22.6 per game

I said he's had 20-25 per game for his entire career, and that's true. IMO, 20 should be the MAX, not the average. There are studies that show that an NFL tackle is the equivalent of a 20 mph car crash. Link So imagine that 20-25 times a game! If you can limit that by even 3-5 times a game it will have a tremendous impact on a player's health over the course of a season. Here's another interesting article I found describing NFL hits: LINK

Anyway, my point wasn't to bash Gore. He's a great talent and I like his game. As long as he's okay with a reduced role in the new system then keep him. But if some team felt they were one RB away from a championship (Tampa Bay, Green Bay, etc) and offered good value, why not listen to them? The same goes for any other player on our team.
[ Edited by Furlow on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone