LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

By Steve Wyche
The Dallas Cowboys could consider the San Francisco 49ers' Greg Manusky and Stanford's Vic Fangio as possible defensive coordinators on new coach Jason Garrett's staff, a league source said Monday.

Fangio was Jim Harbaugh's defensive coordinator at Stanford and is expected to join the coach in San Francisco, but some people in the league are advising the Cowboys to push for him, according to the source.

Manusky is the current defensive coordinator in San Francisco, but he isn't expected to be retained by Harbaugh. Manusky could be a candidate for the same job in San Diego since current Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera likely will land the Carolina Panthers' head-coaching job.

NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi reported Sunday that Todd Bowles likely will be the Cowboys' next defensive coordinator, but he isn't coach Jason Garrett's first choice.

League sources say Bowles' Miami Dolphins counterpart, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, is the No. 1 target, but he's unlikely to go to Dallas because he's under contract and it's a lateral move.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Given Barrows recent article about Fangio, it seems as though that the defenses under his guidance have regressed every single year. This begs the question, does Fangio really bring more to the table than Manusky?

If we kept Manusky, it would limit the turnover that the team as a whole is going to experience. Also, Manusky's main downfall has been the pass defense, but with an added cornerback through the draft, this facet could be tremendously improved.

Your thoughts?

-9fA

Turn this team over, and over. Get on with it. Out with the old under-performing, in with the new performing better.. OR frickin else..

I'm all for "new".. Manusky was not impressive in his scheming last year. Of course, that could be Sing meddling, but new, new..
Coaches in the NFL are interested in Fangio's expertise even though some of the 9erZone experts are not.
Dallas..... Get your hand out of that cookie jar!
Whatever Baalke and Harbaugh want.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Whatever Baalke and Harbaugh want.

You mean whatever Harbaugh wants.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd have to say so, and since Fangio has worked with Harbaugh, it makes for better chemistry. I think the main thing would be that Harbaugh is much more familiar on how Fangio would game plan.
Yes, exactly logical that they have a relationship and a understanding. A repor that can let them change and adapt to the situations easier, faster and more efficiently.
i trust harbaugh and baalke to bring the right guy in. i am not opposed to letting manusky go. you can say it was singletary all you want but we don't know that. manusky was not inventive at all. we didn't give up the most big plays in the league but teams would just dink and dunk us ALL GAME and we were tired by the 4th quarter. horrible blitzing too.

bring on fangio or anyone else. i'm willing to give anyone a try because i think we have some talent on D that isn't used. nate is a big physical corner who is a great tackler but why do we never see him in bump and run? why does he never blitz? this extends to other players on our defense and it goes back to our coaches not putting the players in a position that THEY can succeed
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I'm more worried that we let Manusky go and Fangio takes some other job in the NFL or as the HC of Stanford (if offered to him).
Originally posted by Shaj:
I'm more worried that we let Manusky go and Fangio takes some other job in the NFL or as the HC of Stanford (if offered to him).

Let Manusky go. Please.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by Shaj:

Let Manusky go. Please.

This could be a "be careful what you ask for", like when we let Mooch go. He wasn't the greatest, but we've gone downhill ever since he left. If we let Mausky go AND Fangio gets a job elsewhere, my sense is we're screwed...
Hw can any of you guys argue with the stats Matt B posted? Does Fangio really field a defense of champions? I've never seen a stat line show someone get worste every year they coach, that includes Jimmy Raye. I'm not all pro Manusky, but compared to Fangio he looks like Dick LeBeau.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i trust harbaugh and baalke to bring the right guy in
. i am not opposed to letting manusky go. you can say it was singletary all you want but we don't know that. manusky was not inventive at all. we didn't give up the most big plays in the league but teams would just dink and dunk us ALL GAME and we were tired by the 4th quarter. horrible blitzing too.

bring on fangio or anyone else. i'm willing to give anyone a try because i think we have some talent on D that isn't used. nate is a big physical corner who is a great tackler but why do we never see him in bump and run? why does he never blitz? this extends to other players on our defense and it goes back to our coaches not putting the players in a position that THEY can succeed

Normally I would agree with you, but we dont know if loyalty and emotions are clouding Harbaugh's judgement. Let's face it, he's bringing a buddy back into the NFL. Maybe he really does think Fangio is the best fit, but I'm skeptical that he actually is.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i trust harbaugh and baalke to bring the right guy in
. i am not opposed to letting manusky go. you can say it was singletary all you want but we don't know that. manusky was not inventive at all. we didn't give up the most big plays in the league but teams would just dink and dunk us ALL GAME and we were tired by the 4th quarter. horrible blitzing too.

Normally I would agree with you, but we dont know if loyalty and emotions are clouding Harbaugh's judgement. Let's face it, he's bringing a buddy back into the NFL. Maybe he really does think Fangio is the best fit, but I'm skeptical that he actually is.

You know Fangio came from Baltimore after the 2009 season. That's the same place that his brother John Harbaugh coaches. I don't think he washed out of the NFL, I think he made a move via the Harbaugh family.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd have to say so, and since Fangio has worked with Harbaugh, it makes for better chemistry. I think the main thing would be that Harbaugh is much more familiar on how Fangio would game plan.

I was going to write something very similar to this but you seem to beat me to it.
Share 49ersWebzone