LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
For me this is a toss up...our DBs (besides Spencer) were terrible this year, and last year we played much better in coverage, which showed up in the stats (top 5 in many defensive categories). There was less blitzing this year than there was last year, but that had a lot to do with the needed extra help in coverage, and that included a LB a lot of times.

At least some teams have a true pass rusher to hide the fact that the secondary is weak, but we don't. Manusky did a good job with the lack of talent we had this year in the secondary, however, he could've been more "exotic" in his schemes. I don't know if some of that had to do with Singletary or not, but Manusky proved that he can coach a defense and make it good, if not great, like he did last year.

Our pass-rush was more consistent last year which directly correlates to how the secondary performed. The 49ers don't have a pass-rush guys. People keep talking about the secondary and we can't yet control the LOS. If you want to fix the secondary quickly, get a pass-rusher. You can't - repeat - cannot fix an entire secondary in one off-season. They have to play together as a unit, etc, etc., which takes time. Having a someone in beast mode come off the edge rushing the QBs passes doesn't take any time.

GET A PASS-RUSHER :)

Agreed as much as people complain about our secondary which isn't without warrant the main thing is that's killing us is pass rush.

A good pass rusher would mean more turnovers since most of those are caused by the pass rush either making the QB fumble or making a QB hurry and make a bad decision. It's rare a QB throws an INT when he's had all day to read the defense and be able to make a good throw.

Also one good pass rusher would upgrade the entire secondary so I think this needs to be right behind QB in our needs this offseason.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Neither one of those guys seem very appealing, I think Harb should look into more options.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Rizo:
For me this is a toss up...our DBs (besides Spencer) were terrible this year, and last year we played much better in coverage, which showed up in the stats (top 5 in many defensive categories). There was less blitzing this year than there was last year, but that had a lot to do with the needed extra help in coverage, and that included a LB a lot of times.

At least some teams have a true pass rusher to hide the fact that the secondary is weak, but we don't. Manusky did a good job with the lack of talent we had this year in the secondary, however, he could've been more "exotic" in his schemes. I don't know if some of that had to do with Singletary or not, but Manusky proved that he can coach a defense and make it good, if not great, like he did last year.

Spencer? really. Clemens atleast plays against the RUN better then most CB around. Spencer has NO positives. SPENCER has been the most overrated CB on the Niners since POPE. haha Agree on the Pass Rusher. We NEED ONE BAD! Not sure about Fangio, but I don know I'm tired of the D playing soft towards the end of the game.

I don't know, Spencer has been fairly solid. Everyone gets burned deep but when he's in position, the receivers rarely catch the ball on him unlike Nate who rarely wins even when he has solid position.

I'm no where saying that Nate is better in Coverage. haha But I think Nate can be a reliable RUN STOPPER. Spencer is just plain Horrible. We need a revamped SECONDARY.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think the defense looked great in week 17 when Sing was finally gone

LOL, you really think Manusky was being handcuffed by Sing? Highly doubt it. I think if Sing was responsible for the D, they'd be much more aggressive as that's how he played.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think the defense looked great in week 17 when Sing was finally gone

LOL, you really think Manusky was being handcuffed by Sing? Highly doubt it. I think if Sing was responsible for the D, they'd be much more aggressive as that's how he played.

Also you can't judge anything by that game. Zona was playing to lose.

Spencer? really. Clemens atleast plays against the RUN better then most CB around. Spencer has NO positives. SPENCER has been the most overrated CB on the Niners since POPE. haha Agree on the Pass Rusher. We NEED ONE BAD! Not sure about Fangio, but I don know I'm tired of the D playing soft towards the end of the game.

I don't know, Spencer has been fairly solid. Everyone gets burned deep but when he's in position, the receivers rarely catch the ball on him unlike Nate who rarely wins even when he has solid position.

I'm no where saying that Nate is better in Coverage. haha But I think Nate can be a reliable RUN STOPPER. Spencer is just plain Horrible. We need a revamped SECONDARY.

Sorry, but if you think Spencer is "horrible", than I really don't think you watch the games, and if you do, you have no clue what you are talking about.
Originally posted by boast:
it's time for a change. bye Manusky.

totally agree , it's time for a new look !
Alot of people here are Bashing Manusky...But those that are Bashing him I have a REAL question to ask you...are you part of the Niners coaching staff in that you KNOW it's Manusky calling the plays and not Singlebraincell?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Manusky is done in SF...!
I think Manusky and fangio would have similar results.

The lack of a strong pass rush and a slow secondary makes it hard for any coordinator.

The draft should rectify some of that this year.

Originally posted by susweel:
Neither one of those guys seem very appealing, I think Harb should look into more options.

This. Hopefully he doesn't limit himself.
Now that Rivera will be announced as the Panther' head coach on tuesday, I suspect Manusky will join Wade Phillips as the Texans LB coach.
Originally posted by contrarios:
Now that Rivera will be announced as the Panther' head coach on tuesday, I suspect Manusky will join Wade Phillips as the Texans LB coach.

I don't think Manusky goes back down a level. He will be DC somewhere else.
Originally posted by contrarios:

I don't think Manusky goes back down a level. He will be DC somewhere else.

DC for the Chargers if Rivera gets the job in Carolina
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I think Manusky and fangio would have similar results.

The lack of a strong pass rush and a slow secondary makes it hard for any coordinator.

The draft should rectify some of that this year.

I'm tired of Manusky's vanilla bend but don't break system. AT LEAST Fangio sends pressure which is a start
Share 49ersWebzone