LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

• FL9er
  • Veteran
I know it has been said already, but do you guys realize that Manusky is basically a coaching FA? (has an expiring contract)

Regardless, the issue on defense is the personnel, more so than the system. JMO. The 49ers need to upgraded their speed in the secondary and they could use a pass rusher or two.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
It is just time to part ways with coaches from the old staff. The only reason Singletary kept them around was he didn't have other coaches to bring in, it is why the OC search was so messed up, he was blindly calling people he didn't know and since they didn't know him, it was easy for them to turn him down once they found out his head coaching philosophy. The reports are Harbaugh was already calling people he knows for jobs on his staff once he agreed to be the head coach so that already shows how more prepared for the job he is. Vic Fangio seems like a good DC, is he this young hot shot DC on the fast tract to be a head coach? No. But can we win a Superbowl with him as DC? I think so.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Manusky has the better track record.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Manusky has the better track record.

We are talking about football not track
For me this is a toss up...our DBs (besides Spencer) were terrible this year, and last year we played much better in coverage, which showed up in the stats (top 5 in many defensive categories). There was less blitzing this year than there was last year, but that had a lot to do with the needed extra help in coverage, and that included a LB a lot of times.

At least some teams have a true pass rusher to hide the fact that the secondary is weak, but we don't. Manusky did a good job with the lack of talent we had this year in the secondary, however, he could've been more "exotic" in his schemes. I don't know if some of that had to do with Singletary or not, but Manusky proved that he can coach a defense and make it good, if not great, like he did last year.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think the defense looked great in week 17 when Sing was finally gone

I was the cards, man.

And if it means we stop running the soft zone all game, I'm down for the change.

I second that!
The Defense isn't the problem. The D would be great if they weren't on the feild 40 minutes agame.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
For me this is a toss up...our DBs (besides Spencer) were terrible this year, and last year we played much better in coverage, which showed up in the stats (top 5 in many defensive categories). There was less blitzing this year than there was last year, but that had a lot to do with the needed extra help in coverage, and that included a LB a lot of times.

At least some teams have a true pass rusher to hide the fact that the secondary is weak, but we don't. Manusky did a good job with the lack of talent we had this year in the secondary, however, he could've been more "exotic" in his schemes. I don't know if some of that had to do with Singletary or not, but Manusky proved that he can coach a defense and make it good, if not great, like he did last year.

Spencer? really. Clemens atleast plays against the RUN better then most CB around. Spencer has NO positives. SPENCER has been the most overrated CB on the Niners since POPE. haha Agree on the Pass Rusher. We NEED ONE BAD! Not sure about Fangio, but I don know I'm tired of the D playing soft towards the end of the game.
Doesn't matter nearly as much who the DC is (Fangio or Manusky); it's the talent that matters. Upgrade the talent at DB/OLB and you'll see improvement.
Originally posted by Rizo:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Spencer? really. Clemens atleast plays against the RUN better then most CB around. Spencer has NO positives. SPENCER has been the most overrated CB on the Niners since POPE. haha Agree on the Pass Rusher. We NEED ONE BAD! Not sure about Fangio, but I don know I'm tired of the D playing soft towards the end of the game.

I don't know, Spencer has been fairly solid. Everyone gets burned deep but when he's in position, the receivers rarely catch the ball on him unlike Nate who rarely wins even when he has solid position.

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Did anyone watch the GB game yesterday? 'Nuff said. A blitzing defense that gets to the QB with frequency can't be a bad thing.

But they actually have the personnel to accomplish this. Talented pass rusher in Matthews and a great secondary that frees you up to be aggressive. Not to mention a really good offense that can put points on the board which makes it easier for a defense to take chances and gamble.

Manusky isn't working with any of this and my guess is he's just doing the best with what he's got. Not to say he would be a brilliant coordinator with all those parts but I believe his scheming and playcalling would be different if he had talent to work with.

So our defense suddenly isn't going to morph into Green Bay's or the Steelers with a simple coordinator change and we desperately need to upgrade our pass rush and secondary (moreso the latter) if it's ever going to look like that.
[ Edited by Jikkle49 on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM ]
No way. After seeing the consistent manner his defenses have derailed each year to the lowest in the league in 3 years, I am thoroughly against hiring Fangio. Happened once? Maybe it's a fluke. Twice? Then it's concerning. But all three times he's been a defensive coordinator in the NFL this has happened. No thanks.
If fangio can teach our d to stop a screen, then yeah.
Originally posted by JJL1782:
The Defense isn't the problem. The D would be great if they weren't on the field 40 minutes agame.

this
Originally posted by servegmo:
I was thinking about that yesterday but at the end I would prefer ideally an ex head coach coordinator, a la mangini, nolan (don't kill me for that one but he is a hell of a coordinator), mora, someone who can help the coaching staff with his experience and that has a good track record as a coordinator...

if not a person like that, them I would prefer fangio, I love Manusky but that defense didn't look as advertised, we were 13 on total D which is not bad but there some call on crucial part of games that I really didn't like...

of course at the end I would like what ever Balkee and Harbaugh like they are day day in day out, they should pick the guy with the better "fit"...

go nienrs

+1
Share 49ersWebzone