LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 324 users in the forums

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Fangio really a better option than Manusky?

Let harbaugh make the decision. we should sit back and enjoy. Stop being a coach from the couch.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by statman:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Manusky is clearly capable, I don't know why people would just say Manusky sucks without blaming the players that suck, outside of Willis/Spikes/Justin.

So for me Manusky vs Fangio, toss up.

All you have to do is watch the games. I can't tell you how many times we only rushed our 3 linemen, giving the opposing QB aaaaall day to pick apart our weak ass zone.

The only people on staff who should be retained are Tomsula and Schottenheimer, maybe Solari.

I believe we play a weak ass zone because our secondary sucks (nothing Manusky can do about that), with a lack of pass rush, Spencer, Goldson, Clements can easily be toasted.

Manusky adjusts by preventing the big play, and playing their game in the red zone with a goal to hold them to 3 points. Our corners are not skilled enough to play man-to-man on every down. So there is a reason to play a soft zone, or bend don't break. I personally don't like it either. But there's a logical reason for it, and you have to also hold players accountable.

This has been brought up by a few defensive players before.

If your secondary sucks, you don't hang them out to dry by giving the QB 5 seconds to throw because you only rushed 3 defenders. You send more guys, you blitz; you give the QB 1.5 seconds to throw and the DBs will play much better.

And his "bend don't break" philosophy didn't work anyways, we always broke.

I want a creative, aggressive DC.
Fangio is better. Get Vic. Enough of no risk, no reward offensive and defensive philosophy of Nolan and Singletary. Dan Synder was right when Nolan was in Washington. And everyone was right about Singeltary's conservatism. This team needs to play reasonable amount of risk to take a win, instead of playing not to lose. We need coaches who have the balls to be progressive. Harbaugh is one and Fangio is too.
Originally posted by servegmo:
I was thinking about that yesterday but at the end I would prefer ideally an ex head coach coordinator, a la mangini, nolan (don't kill me for that one but he is a hell of a coordinator), mora, someone who can help the coaching staff with his experience and that has a good track record as a coordinator...

if not a person like that, them I would prefer fangio, I love Manusky but that defense didn't look as advertised, we were 13 on total D which is not bad but there some call on crucial part of games that I really didn't like...

of course at the end I would like what ever Balkee and Harbaugh like they are day day in day out, they should pick the guy with the better "fit"...

go nienrs

oh and the other guy I forgot to mention was Kevin Green if he want to be a D coordinator we should give him a try, he has don wonders in green bay....
Bring in Fangio as the LB coach/asst to the head coach... Keep Manusky as DC!

2 minds are better than one!
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Not always. It could lead to unneeded drama.
Did anyone watch the GB game yesterday? 'Nuff said. A blitzing defense that gets to the QB with frequency can't be a bad thing.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Not always. It could lead to unneeded drama.

Just don't hire drama queens and we'll be ok.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
i will take anyone over manusky.

even Billy Davis?
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Agreed. I hope they keep Manusky, Rathman, Tomsula, and maybe even Johnson, as QB coach or OC.

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Tomsula for D coord imo.

This!
It's all on Harbaugh...he has the relationship with Fangio...Fangio doesn't have a great record..in fact it sucks..but there could be more too it.

I think Manusky did a very good job considering how bad our DBs were.
What makes Fangio better than Manusky is his creativity. He brings blitzes from all points of the field and his defenses have always ranked near the top in sacks and turnovers, not to mention points allowed.

Our defense is too passive, we've played soft zones under Manusky and haven't been creative enough to exploit our talented front seven. Fangio will bring creativity and pressure, which is clearly a better match for a Harbaugh-led offense than Manusky.
I think Harbaugh is very cerebral and will be more strategic and sophisticated with game plans on both sides of the ball. He is an Xs and Os guy. Whether the next defensive coordinator is Fangio or Manusky, there will be more intensity and more attention to details.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think the defense looked great in week 17 when Sing was finally gone

They were also playing the Cardinals, so it is hard to tell. Against any decent team, the defense has been picked apart.

what was our Defense's fianlly ranking this year?
Share 49ersWebzone