There are 355 users in the forums

Heitmann or Baas

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JDog:
Neither, draft Pouncey's little brother from Florida. Worked out good for Pitt, rookie made pro bowl.

Seriously? You want to start a rookie at center?

Wow!

Fortunately, won't happen. Let's bring them both back for now. I have no issues with using a lowish pick on a developmental center, but this is not a position you want a rookie starting.

Normaly I would agree with you totaly, but having seen what Pitt did with his brother this year and then see him also go to the Pro Bowl, I dunno?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
We have to sign someone, so why not just sign Ryan Kalil who's 25 and imo the best C in the NFC. Heitmann is going into his contract year, and he can compete with Rachal at RG and go back to C if Kalil gets hurt.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by CrunchE:
I watch every niner game. Aside from many outside factors, from what I saw on one v one matchup between center and d tackle I come away thinking Baas is superior than Heitmann.

Now that Heitmann is comming off another major leg injury. Do you think it is in the best interest of the Niners to resign Baas to start at center next year? Regardless of the CBA.

only saw a handful of games and what I saw wasn't good

here ya go
wow two guys blow right by him like his massive head isn't even there

Way too many missed blocks bad snaps and blown assignments/calls at the line for me to say Baas is better than Heitmann at this stage.

I would like the 9ers to draft a pure center.
Heitmann is superior than Baas, whether it be at guard or center...However, this was from training camp (five months ago), where Heitmann was the unquestioned starter and team captain. And, for all my criticism of Baas before this year, he was better than I expected. Now, he couldn't generate hardly any holes up the middle, and the myth than Heitmann was a liability in short yardage situation was exposed when Baas was worse in 2010, but Baas pass protected just as well as Heitmann, in my estimation. The difference in play is not that obvious. The bottom line: Center is not an issue with Heitmann or Baas.

Every year is different. Do I speculate that Heitmann is still better than Baas, after his neck and leg injury? Sure. But, it is impossible to know until they strap on the pads. It could be that Heitmann does not have nearly the mobility as before. It could be that Baas' concussions have started to catch up with him. we simply don't know.

What I can say is that Heitmann is better on one leg and a broken neck than Chilo Rachal...so it doesn't matter who plays where (Heitmann at center, Baas at RG, or visa versa). Put the best five guys on the field, and let them go.

Having an experienced vet like Heitmann or Baas next to Davis might be the best solution to help his AD's development.

The team will need to take a serious look at center in the draft, regardless if Baas re-signs and/or Heitmann returns to full strength. This is an area that will need addressing in the next couple of years. I like the TCU center in this draft as a mid-late round prospect.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Heitmann is superior than Baas, whether it be at guard or center...However, this was from training camp (five months ago), where Heitmann was the unquestioned starter and team captain. And, for all my criticism of Baas before this year, he was better than I expected. Now, he couldn't generate hardly any holes up the middle, and the myth than Heitmann was a liability in short yardage situation was exposed when Baas was worse in 2010, but Baas pass protected just as well as Heitmann, in my estimation. The difference in play is not that obvious. The bottom line: Center is not an issue with Heitmann or Baas.

Every year is different. Do I speculate that Heitmann is still better than Baas, after his neck and leg injury? Sure. But, it is impossible to know until they strap on the pads. It could be that Heitmann does not have nearly the mobility as before. It could be that Baas' concussions have started to catch up with him. we simply don't know.

What I can say is that Heitmann is better on one leg and a broken neck than Chilo Rachal...so it doesn't matter who plays where (Heitmann at center, Baas at RG, or visa versa). Put the best five guys on the field, and let them go.

Having an experienced vet like Heitmann or Baas next to Davis might be the best solution to help his AD's development.

The team will need to take a serious look at center in the draft, regardless if Baas re-signs and/or Heitmann returns to full strength. This is an area that will need addressing in the next couple of years. I like the TCU center in this draft as a mid-late round prospect.

MD, one could say that Baas wasn't really very good at LG, in fact, he was probably as bad of a LG as Rachal is a RG.

I would like to see Heittmann moved over to RG. Baas did show some very nice ability to pull from the C position, which he will probably be required to do more often.

What we really need is a solid backup at either Tackle position as Simms can only last so long. I really hope we stop looking for backups in the draft and start looking for starters. Nothing better than to have a backup plan when the incumbent wants a huge contract.
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I would rather stick with Baas, I think Heitmann's injury's will be too much for him to come back as strong as before.

We wasted a draft pick on Cody Wallace a couple of years ago, please just give Baas a new deal.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by cal49er:
one year injured after being the veteran anchor of our OL, and now David Baas should be kept as starting C and Heitmann forgotten??

David Baas was decent filling in at C this year, but Eric Heitmann is better, and has way more experience. as long as he comes back healthy, theres absolutely no reason why he shouldnt get his job back.

because he is better at the G position than he is at C. Oh that's right we need a RG.

lol how do you know thats still the case? Heitmann hasnt played Guard since Jeremy Newberry was our C. that was a million years ago. when Newberry went down he filled in at C, and stayed there all these years. i dont think theyre giving up on Rachal yet.

I'm pretty sure he would still be a better G than Baas or Rachal.

maybe so, but i dont think David Baas was all that impressive at C this year. hes a crappy Guard, so why would be be a solid C? Heitmann was a great veteran anchor for the line. moving him back to Guard because Baas and Rachal suck doesnt seem like a good enough reason.

Rachal is still young enough to warrant more playing time to see if he keeps getting better. we threw our rookie OL out there every game all season sink or swim. Rachal has one more season before they replace him imo.

what we really SHOULD do is put Heitmann back at C, keep Iupati at LG, move Davis to LT where he should be, move Staley to RT where he should be, and sign a RG thats better than Rachal and Baas.

I disagree, Baas did a lot better as the C then you are giving him credit for. Remember that is the first time he played at his natural position since being drafted. He is pretty much learning the position all over again. Our best Oline for next year would be

Staley-Iupati-Baas-Heitmann-Davis

If we went with that lineup we would have a solid Oline.

i still think Davis should move to LT. Staley is a bit overrated, and Davis is going to end up being our LT eventually. if you get picked 11th overall, you better be playing LT. why keep him learning a position that he probably wont stay at? get him started at the LT spot and give him blocking help until he can handle it on his own.

Sing NEVER gave the younger guys help when they needed it. hed just keep yelling at them like "Chilo! hey! Chilo! do you wanna play, or sit on the bench?? are you here to play football or not? LETS GO!" rather than just giving him some help, he expected screaming to motivate...

While I do agree that Staley is overrated I do not agree that eventually Davis will be playing LT. I believe he was drafted to be the RT. Unless Staley keeps getting injured then he will be our LT for years to come.

Yeah I think ADavis is gonna stick at RT. He still has a lot to learn, and did pretty well by the end of the year.

Has Heitmann ever lined up at guard? He'd be a lot better than Rachal

if you take a T at 11th overall, he should really be a LT. thats alot of money to pay someone whos not playing the blind side. Staley gives up way too many sacks to be LT imo.

and yes, Heitmann was a Guard his whole career until mid 2005 when Jeremy Newberry went down. he filled in and eventually just stayed put at C ever since.

this is the stupidest thing I have ever read. He was drafted to play T and they decided to put him at RT. End of story. He will stay at RT while Staley sits at LT.

LT are more important than RT. do you watch football? why do you think LT make big $$$ and RT make significantly less? because in the NFL, the QB is the gem of your franchise. almost every QB is right handed, which means his left side vision will be much more impaired. a LT job is to block the elite pass rushing DE of the NFL. you send the pressure to the QB's blind side, and the LT has the job of protecting that.

LT is one of the highest paid positions in football for this reason. when you draft a T 11th overall and give him 11th overall money, he should be good enough to play the LT position. RT is always where the weaker option plays. its common sense.

dont insult what i said based on your own ignorance of NFL offensive linemen.

I have plenty of knowledge about OLineman. But to say oh we drafted this guy at this spot so he has to be the LT is retarded. Staley is the better T on the team right now so to move him to RT all for the sake of putting Davis the higher draft pick in his place would be just foolish.

Don't insult what I said based on your lack of ability to comprehend basic information.

Guys, do you both have to finish every post with an insult? You support the same team you know?

It is true to say that you would generally draft the LT, for a right handed qb, early. It certainly looks as though the intention on drafting Davis was that he would end up on the left. That being said I think the differential between left and right is eroding.

But Davis was thrown into the starting line up very early. Probably too early. Putting him on the blind side of the qb would not have been a sensible decision. Whether Davis moves to the left in a year or so remains to be seen, but I imagine Harbaugh will want his qb's blindside by the best guy available.

We'll see, huh?

i dont disagree with Davis starting at RT to begin with, but i think he needs to move to LT as soon as he can handle it. if were going to get on the right track sooner than later, we'd be better served getting him playing time over there. Staley is more experienced, but i dont think hes going to be all that much "better" than Davis at LT for much longer. Davis is more talented, and Staley hasnt really been all that productive from LT in a while.

id rather get Davis his playing time in at LT soon. Sing never gave his young OL help, but with help i think Davis could handle it. he had a couple games stuffing Darnell Dockett and Clay Matthews really well. hes coming along.

it takes some time to switch sides on the line, because the blocking physics are backwards. you have to learn the techniques a new way.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
the one that doesnt start at center needs to start at RG so chilo can chase butterflys or pick flowers while hes not on the field

Wasn't Heitmann a competent guard before he moved to center? Baas at center Heitmann at guard.
heitmann...he doesnt snap the ball out of the endzone and he wouldnt of been the cause of the disaster on the goalline vs. SD...i cant stand baas...he sucked as a guard and had to many breakdowns as C...your center has to be entrenched in the position...you cant just throw someone in there because its convenient or because there's no one else...baas at C was Sing and Solari's doing...f them and f baas
Baas had a great year for us transistioning back to his best position C (All-American C at Michigan) aside from the 2 horrible snaps that went over the QBs head

Besides that Baas fits the Harbaugh mold of a C better than Heitman, he's bigger and moves better and he's younger.

The only way I think we should go back to Heitman as the starting C is if we don't get anyone for the RG spot. In that case move Baas there to get Rachal on the bench.

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
With Heitmann at right guard we could have been in Chicago already

You realize that Heitmann was injured for most of the year. Started the season injured and finished the season on IR. I think he was only dressed for about 3 or 4 games.

If I recall he has some sort of neck issue. He may end up retiring.
baas
both for OL depth
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I'll take this opportunity to say "I told you so." I've been saying Baas at center over Heitmann for a long time. We should try Heitmann at RG and also draft a rookie to groom.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'll take this opportunity to say "I told you so." I've been saying Baas at center over Heitmann for a long time. We should try Heitmann at RG and also draft a rookie to groom.

Heitmann would be an improvement over Rachal every day of the week. I've said it a few times. Our best look for the OLine looks like this

Staley-Iupati-Baas-Heitmann-Davis

Not sure on what you mean by groom a rookie. Heitmann has only been in the league for 7 years.
Share 49ersWebzone