LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Playoff teams doing what 49ers don't....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Win.
Actually being in the playoffs?
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
A couple weeks ago, I was aching for the playoffs. Thank God that didnt happen. We are no where near the caliber of these current teams.........it starts with coaching, and trickles its way down to quarterback and execution of the playbook.

Here's to a new era of 49er football. A lot of analysts have said (this week) that the Niners do not necessarily have to go into rebuild mode. We are a QB and a couple defensive players from being competitive not only in the NFC West, but also in the league. NFL Network pointed out that a big reason our defense struggled this season is because our offense did a piss poor job in TOP and putting points on the board. If we can put up points, a rejuvenized defense can once again be top 10-15 in the league.

Cant wait for next season...........Harbaugh, please go out and get a viable QB and a good CB / rusher.

Correct me if Im wrong but the Niners had the #13 defense already so thats in the 10-15 range ...Just Having Harbaugh SHOULD make the Niners favorites for the West (Not going to say that though cause of what happened this year) And we STILL DONT know what Harbaugh will do as an NFL HC till he coaches for a year or 2. So many people act as if the Niners just won a Superbowl cause they Hired J Harbaugh...

Also, it seems some of forgotten about the CBA. If the owners/players drag their feet on signing a new deal, the team could have minimal time to install this new WCO and whatever type of defense a new DC would want. Normally, the team would have plenty of time to install this stuff with OTAs Training camp etc...

This team could easily look worse next year simply because they might not have the time they need to install the desired changes.

This is why I think Harbaugh should retain Mike Johnson in some capacity because Harbaugh may have time only to modify the present scheme before the season begins. He'll probably need Johnson's help with last year's playbook.
I like seeing all these creative playcalls and formations. Seattle used a lot of stuff I really like. I've heard Harbaugh is very creative and innovative with his offense, so I'm really excited for that.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
With the playoff games this weekend, it has been a chance for me to watch the premiere teams with as much interest as i typically do the 49ers. WOW, it is so obvious what these other teams are able to do that the 49ers didn't/couldn't do.

The point of this post is to discuss specifics about the differences you see in these teams performances - as an indicator of what we need to improve to become a "real" NFL caliber team. (please don't bother posting the obvious one line post "better coaching", "no alex smith at qb", etc.

Here are a couple of things that have jumped out at me during the games so far:

1. QBs looking off and moving coverages - it is painfully obvious that all these playoff teams QBs know how to look one way (and then sometimes even another way) to move coverages off their targets. The 49er QBs almost never did this. They kept their vision into one area of the field.

2. Interior OLine play - all of the teams I've seen so far are very good at controlling the Guard-Center-Guard space, whether is opening interior holes or setting the passing pocket. There is very little immediate pressure coming up the middle or outside until after at least 2-3 seconds.

3. Route combinations - it seems like the pass route combinations work better together. I can't count the number of times our offense ran several receivers into the same area, which just created a crowd of defenders.

4. Screen game - all the teams seem to have very effective screen games, and their "outlet" routes to RBs is simply a check down, but puts the RB in a place with a lot of space to run. It is almost like a hi-bred outlet/screen scheme.

All that said, it is clear that these other coaching staff a were just head and shoulders above ours in terms of scheme and game planning. To me, we really need to move our OL, WR, and RB coaching into the modern era. Harbaugh weeks like the right guy to do it.

What else are you guys noticing??

I notice that all of your points rely on #2 actually happening, which doesn't very often for our team. That is the #1 reason the offense has sucked for so long. We need a much better center very badly and Chilo needs to put up or get out.
Share 49ersWebzone