LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Who were our offensive coordinators during the 1980s?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I was trying to find some information for the West Coast Offense thread, and discovered I could NOT figure out who was the offensive coordinator during the 1980s.

I know Mike Holmgren was our OC in 89-91, but haven't found anything besides that. Any help? I was shocked I couldn't find that info out there.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Sam Wyche was an assistant coach and directed the passing game for the San Francisco 49ers from 1979 to 1982.
Sam Wyche was in 1981, then Paul Hackett and Sherm Lewis in 84.

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jan 8, 2011 at 15:54:13 ]
And then we ended up beating Wyche w/ Joe Cool for the whole enchilada
We had Paul Hackett from 1983 to 1985. I don't know for certain if Wyche was offensive coordinator before then, but based on the years 1979 to 1982, it does make sense. I don't know who held that position before Holmgren.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Ray Rhodes was dc if I remember correctly.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

But neither was Offensive Coordinator
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

But neither was Offensive Coordinator

Hackett was in charge of the passing game and Lewis the running game. I think Walsh might have called the plays.
There were a number of assistants who helped with the offense throughout the 80s including Sam Wyche, Bruce Coslett, Denny Green, and Paul Hackett. But for the most part, Walsh pretty much served in the OC role as a HC. Probably because the offense was his baby and it was relatively new at the time so there werent very many coaches who were experienced in it.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We had Paul Hackett from 1983 to 1985. I don't know for certain if Wyche was offensive coordinator before then, but based on the years 1979 to 1982, it does make sense. I don't know who held that position before Holmgren.

Yeah, I saw Paul Hackett on Wikipedia (yeah, I know), and it just says QB/WR/TE coach. Same goes for Wyche. Is it that, during the '80s, it wasn't standard for teams to have an offensive coordinator? It would make sense as well. I'm sure Bill Walsh called the majority of the offensive plays.

Did you really need an Offensive Coordinator when you had these guys?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yeah, I saw Paul Hackett on Wikipedia (yeah, I know), and it just says QB/WR/TE coach. Same goes for Wyche. Is it that, during the '80s, it wasn't standard for teams to have an offensive coordinator? It would make sense as well. I'm sure Bill Walsh called the majority of the offensive plays.

That is what it seems like... Walsh was OC/HC
Rhodes was DB coach, the one who instructed Lott to deliver the whoo lick.
1979-82 Sam Wyche
1983-1988 Walsh/Assistants/Paul Hackett/Sherm Lewis/Homlgren (Before Holmgren took the OC title when Seifter took over in '89, Walsh called most of his own plays, and relied upon assistants who eventually became OCs).

1989-1991 Mike Holmgren
1992-1994 Mike Shanahan
1995-1996 Marc Trestman (Was fired in public by Eddie D during a conference, lol.)
1997-2000 Marty Mornhinweg

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 8, 2011 at 16:07:39 ]
Originally posted by zozell:
Did you really need an Offensive Coordinator when you had these guys?

I was JUST about to say... I hope Harbaugh can groom QBs, because I was just thinking about Seifert's teams, and the teams going into the late 90s. Even though our offenses, defenses, and coaching staffs changed majorly over the years, the four constants to those successful teams were: WCO system, Bobb McKittrick, quarterback play, and Jerry Rice. With those four, we were able to be successful over the many years.

In those later years when the overall talent level of the team was bad, Steve Young and Jerry Rice seemed to carry the team on their play alone.
Share 49ersWebzone