LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 164 users in the forums

Overrated 9ers that need to go..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Moran Norris will be one of the first players cut by Harb.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Clements
Haralson
Norris- he has no place in a WCO

Those three have to go.
Also to think about are
Goldson
Rachal
a lot of backups
we need to shuffle our roster because we have had the same problems with these guys for years.

Agree with 1-4, but Manny needs to stay and Frank isn't getting traded.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I love how everyone says we're so talented blahhhblaaaah blaaa... The truth is we lack speed at crucial posistions and overall talent at others. We need upgrades all over this roster. These are just a few guys who have been supremely overrated by this team and fans..

1:Dashon Goldson He was screaming last off season that he was the next Ronnie Lott and how he was gonna make mad money of the FA market... Yea he's an average player that isn't a game changer.

2: Franklin, Aubrayo One year wonder... Wouldn't bring him back for more than 3 or 4 mil a season.. I'd rather switch back to a 4-3 but thats for another thread

3:Nate Clements.... We've all bashed him on this board so he's not really overrated by us. But he was never worth the contract we paid him. I try him at safety for a reduced price..

4: Parys Harlson Had one decent year signed him to a decent contract and he sucked..

5:Manny Lawson.. Had his best season to date but still isn't what we thought he would be.. Makes me wonder how he may have thrived in a 4-3....

6: Frank Gore Yep I sad it.. And said it 2 seasons ago. Gore isn't overrated but we put too much focus on him. I posted that we should trade him after his huge year in 2006 with Norve and the gang cause I new we still were years away from a superbowl... I got roasted for the most part but look where we at now.. An aging HB with a bad hip.... Shoulda got what could for him while we had the chance. Cut throat like the organization use to be....

An aging running back? Are you serious? Until he was hurt, I believe he was the NFL leader in yards from scrimmage, if not at least in the top 5. He turns 28 this year. That isn't old, even for a running back.

Most of those choices are horrible. There is a difference between being overrated and actually needing to go.

Nate Clements is overpaid, but he doesn't need to go. Play him closer to the receivers where he can get his hands on them and jam them with some real safety help and a legit pass rusher and he would look MUCH better (especially at a reduced salary).

Manny Lawson has earned a contract. He isn't the pass rusher we want him to be, but brings so many other things to the table. You don't let a guy like that go unless their asking price is too high.

Aubrayo Franklin- Looked good in 2008 when we switched to a one gap so he isn't just a one year wonder. Ricky Jean isn't ready to start. I'd like Franklin to return for the right price.

Now as for our players that actually need to go

Dashon Goldson- Maybe just maybe his injuries have slowed him down, but the way he has played, if he is offered anything, a 2-year deal, minimum value deal as a back-up. If he doesn't accept, he can walk.

Parys Haralson- one trick money that has run out of tricks. Release him or trade him, but I doubt he fetches us anything higher than a 6th round pick.

Chilo Rachal- Either send him to the bench or send him packing. I think his power was one of his strengths coming out of college, but for him to get run over the way he has, something is missing in terms of technique, footwork, etc.
i think ur list is good except for manny lawson and gore. lawson does everything well. id rather have a guy like him than a guy who can only rush the passer and not do anything else. gore is a great back to have and the trade value would be relatively low for him since he just had a major injury to go along with the rest of his major injuries. i think delanie walker is way too hyped up around here for what he does. hes decent but he drops a lot of passes and fumbles and thats not good for a 2nd TE to do. if u dont get the ball much u shouldnt put it on the ground ever.
I put money on Harbaugh drafting Marcic(sp?) from stanford and Owusu next year
  • kray28
  • Veteran
With regards to Gore. His shelf life is ending, if it isn't already over after the latest injury.

That's reality as it is.

Secondly, running back has to be one of the more replaceable positions in this league.

And the Frank Gore we had this year....he was very replaceable....he was easily one of the least efficient backs in the league this year in terms of utilization.

Basically, you don't have to be Barry Sanders to be an effective running back in this league, you just need a good offensive line. Develop that OL, and you won't need your back to be a superstar to get yards.
Share 49ersWebzone