There are 165 users in the forums

Overrated 9ers that need to go..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wrong WRONG ON GORE LAWSON AND FRANKLIN. ask willis if franklin or lawson or gore are not great. Ask our coaches and all the people in the nfl and fans. Actually gore behind our ol and a bad qb is for sure a top 5 back and a top 2 or 3 combined back for catching and blocking.

And franklin. Checl the gb game when he was OUT. we were ran over. There is a reason we were SECOND in yards per rush on d. And lawson is great vs pass and run and avg in pass rush. Same way j harrison is great in pass rush but slow in pass d.

You are right about goldson and morgan is a number three wr. Clements is a good number two cb....not a number one anymore.

We need to draft a de olb or cb and we are set on d. Mays will step up next year in goldson or smith cant
Clements
Haralson
Norris- he has no place in a WCO

Those three have to go.
Also to think about are
Goldson
Rachal
a lot of backups
we need to shuffle our roster because we have had the same problems with these guys for years.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I love how everyone says we're so talented blahhhblaaaah blaaa... The truth is we lack speed at crucial posistions and overall talent at others. We need upgrades all over this roster. These are just a few guys who have been supremely overrated by this team and fans..

1:Dashon Goldson He was screaming last off season that he was the next Ronnie Lott and how he was gonna make mad money of the FA market... Yea he's an average player that isn't a game changer.

2: Franklin, Aubrayo One year wonder... Wouldn't bring him back for more than 3 or 4 mil a season.. I'd rather switch back to a 4-3 but thats for another thread

3:Nate Clements.... We've all bashed him on this board so he's not really overrated by us. But he was never worth the contract we paid him. I try him at safety for a reduced price..

4: Parys Harlson Had one decent year signed him to a decent contract and he sucked..

5:Manny Lawson.. Had his best season to date but still isn't what we thought he would be.. Makes me wonder how he may have thrived in a 4-3....

6: Frank Gore Yep I sad it.. And said it 2 seasons ago. Gore isn't overrated but we put too much focus on him. I posted that we should trade him after his huge year in 2006 with Norve and the gang cause I new we still were years away from a superbowl... I got roasted for the most part but look where we at now.. An aging HB with a bad hip.... Shoulda got what could for him while we had the chance. Cut throat like the organization use to be....

1.Goldson we have someone on the roster who can replace him and he was pretty average this year. I wouldn't mind keeping him but not at the price he will most likely want. Smith might be a better option because he can come down and play man

2.Aubrayo If you want to continue to have a successful line you need guys like this. He came in making an impact last season and you need a rotation for the fat guys so they can keep wrecking havoc. He needs to stay.

3.Clements I don't care whether he stays or goes. If he goes we better have a replacement in mind because outside of Spencer who is ready to start? Maybe if we get Champ at a good price I would be ok with Nate leaving.

4.Haralson He can go, we have depth at OLB and we need a pass rusher anyway. He has been a liability in the run and hasn't exactly been Clay Matthews either.

5.Lawson How do you replace him? He is our best cover LB and does an excellent job at keeping edge contain and stopping the run. He should stay if he can be kept at a good price.

6.Gore Again who d we have to replace him? Dixon seems like he might be good and Westbrook is as injury prone as they come. Bring back Coffee?

7.Morgan All the breakout seasons he is supposed to have? He just finished his 4th season which should have been his breakout year. Problem is our offense and QB were completely inconsistent. Morgan should be a slot guy but we don't have anyone to put him there. Not to mention this is probably the LEAST important position to worry about. a #2 WR never made a team a SB contender. He put up respectable #s for the situation he is in.

Instead of getting rid of all the guys that make this team "talented" without having someone on the roster to replace them we need to keep a lot of these guys. This isn't madden where you just get rid of guys and can get by with backups. You have to have depth everywhere especially if we go to an 18 game schedule.
Aww damn!! How could I forget about JOSH MORGAN! How many years has this dude been ready for a "breakout" season???

I liked Morgan, but this last game was the last draw when Alex threw the perfect bomb and all he had to do was stretch his arms out and the ball was there. But nope, he pulled his arms back. I hope he brings in some Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald Wr's, that fight for the ball,catch first, then worry about who's gonna hit them or what defenders in the area.

I'll never forget when anquan boldin caught that Td pass and knew he was gonna get hit. Might of fractured some part of his face, then healed, and played again immediately.

Tell me do we have any Wr on our team with that type of devotion, and tenacity.
DO NOT get rid of anybody unless you KNOW you can get somebody better.

Having said that, the people/positions I'd like to see upgrades for:

1) D. Goldson - what everybody else has to say about him. Out of position, late to react, wants to deliver a hit rather than make a tackle, then frequently whiffs.

2) M. Norris. It's time. Don't care if Gore loves him. Need a younger FB/HB who is a threat to get the ball and move the chains.

3) C. Rachal. Just too inconsistant/unpredictable. Looks good for several plays, then seems to disappear and be dominated. Never know when he's going to have a bad GAME, rather than just a bad play.

4) P. Haralson. Where did he disappear to? Get the feeling he got his big contract, then checked out.

5) The entire defensive backfield. Problem is, when you say something like this, you have to wonder if it's a bigger problem (Scheme and/or Coaching). It may be time to try Clements at S, or it could be time to move on. Need at least 1 more good CB for nickle/dime. Mays had a year to gain some experience, time to let him sink or swim.

And the big one has taken care of itself as far as being off the team, just no replacement in sight (starting QB)
Originally posted by jimrat201:
I hope Goldson didnt say he was gonna be the next Ronnie Lott because Im sure Ronnie would make a special visit to Santa Clara and deliver a forearm shiver to Goldson dome.

Whether or not he said that, he still deserves a proper bludgeoning.
I love how everyone says we're so talented blahhhblaaaah blaaa... The truth is we lack speed at crucial posistions and overall talent at others. We need upgrades all over this roster. These are just a few guys who have been supremely overrated by this team and fans..

1:Dashon Goldson He was screaming last off season that he was the next Ronnie Lott and how he was gonna make mad money of the FA market... Yea he's an average player that isn't a game changer.

2: Franklin, Aubrayo One year wonder... Wouldn't bring him back for more than 3 or 4 mil a season.. I'd rather switch back to a 4-3 but thats for another thread

3:Nate Clements.... We've all bashed him on this board so he's not really overrated by us. But he was never worth the contract we paid him. I try him at safety for a reduced price..

4: Parys Harlson Had one decent year signed him to a decent contract and he sucked..

5:Manny Lawson.. Had his best season to date but still isn't what we thought he would be.. Makes me wonder how he may have thrived in a 4-3....

6: Frank Gore Yep I sad it.. And said it 2 seasons ago. Gore isn't overrated but we put too much focus on him. I posted that we should trade him after his huge year in 2006 with Norve and the gang cause I new we still were years away from a superbowl... I got roasted for the most part but look where we at now.. An aging HB with a bad hip.... Shoulda got what could for him while we had the chance. Cut throat like the organization use to be....

Agree 100% on Gore. Although I still believe there is still some value there for us in return if we decide to trade him. He was a steal in the third round. Neither Westbrook or Dixon (most likely) are our RBs of the future, but we don't need a franchise RB. RB by committee is just fine. Of the top 10 rated passers this year, only 3 QBs are not in the playoffs. Compare this to the top 10 rushers by yards and there are only 4 RBs who are in the playoffs. It's a pass first league, Harbaugh fits this style and I'd rather see us try and stock pile some picks and/or manuever around a bit to address some areas.

As much as I love Gore and what he has done for us, it might be time to move on.
7.Morgan All the breakout seasons he is supposed to have? He just finished his 4th season which should have been his breakout year. Problem is our offense and QB were completely inconsistent. Morgan should be a slot guy but we don't have anyone to put him there. Not to mention this is probably the LEAST important position to worry about. a #2 WR never made a team a SB contender. He put up respectable #s for the situation he is in.

Instead of getting rid of all the guys that make this team "talented" without having someone on the roster to replace them we need to keep a lot of these guys. This isn't madden where you just get rid of guys and can get by with backups. You have to have depth everywhere especially if we go to an 18 game schedule.
Just to agree with you and pad your point, this was the end of Morgan's 3rd season as he was drafted in 2008. His first three years stats are comparable to Reggie Waynes first three and better than Hines Wards first 3.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
First of all, Gore is coming off hip surgery.

Second of all, if Gore is such a tradeable asset because so many backs like him can be found in the draft, why in the world would some other team trade for him?

Does that make sense to anybody?

-9fA

no surgery on the hip 9fA
  • titan
  • Veteran
To trade Gore is just stupid! Don't rely on him so much and not make him the entire focal point of the offense would be a better idea. Harbaugh will be able to utilize our players better than Sing did and Gore will be even more valuable to us once the defense doesn't know when Frank the Tank is coming!

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Aww damn!! How could I forget about JOSH MORGAN! How many years has this dude been ready for a "breakout" season???

Look at who's been throwing him the ball. All Hail Captaaaaaiiiin Checkdown!!
I'm tired of seeing Nate Clements on the list of overrated, how long to you guys expect him to cover a receiver without any pressure on the quarterback. Until we get a consistent pass rush any CB you put out there is going to get burned.
WTH? Lawson has to be number 1 over-rated on this list

He runs fast and blocks a few kicks and plays well in home games, right?

Big freakin' deal!!!

Where is he when we need a sack on crucial 3rd downs??

Where is he in coverage when jamaal charles and mcCluster our averaging 19 and 23 yards per catch???

Where the hell is he in "road" games??? he practically vanishes like casper

All you lawson fans are in love with a few of his highlight plays but you MUST ADMIT that he is NOT producing the terror that a 3-4 linebacker ought to!!! (think steelers, jets, ravens, and packers, etc)
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:

I like Manny Lawson and Franklin---but not at high money---Lawson maybe $ 2 million a year and Franklin $ 3 million a year.

Gore---I am not sure he will fit the Harbaugh system--but his trade value will be low now with his age and injury history----so keep him unless we draft someone in the early rounds that looks good.

Dashon Goldson is not worth big money---supposedly his foot was sore--but that never got better---i would let him go.

Clements---resign him only for a lot less money and no guaranteed money and try him at safety---if it doesn't work out--release him in the final cutdown to 53.

Parys Haralson---I would cut him also if we can get someone better like Lamar Woodley.

You're not sure that Gore will fit the Harbaugh system? You do realize that his offense helped make a power back, Toby Gerhart, into a Heisman finalist?

I happen to think that Gore will THRIVE in this offense. The power running game is not gone with Harbaugh - it will get better.

Gore has dropped off a little each of the past 3 years---with his age and hip injury--I just don't see him being a power runner much anymore. Maybe he will prove me wrong---he has proved people wrong his whole career.
Originally posted by socal9er42:

4) P. Haralson. Where did he disappear to? Get the feeling he got his big contract, then checked out.
He's probably somewhere running after a RB after failing to contain
Share 49ersWebzone