There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Overrated 9ers that need to go..

I love how everyone says we're so talented blahhhblaaaah blaaa... The truth is we lack speed at crucial posistions and overall talent at others. We need upgrades all over this roster. These are just a few guys who have been supremely overrated by this team and fans..

1:Dashon Goldson He was screaming last off season that he was the next Ronnie Lott and how he was gonna make mad money of the FA market... Yea he's an average player that isn't a game changer.

2: Franklin, Aubrayo One year wonder... Wouldn't bring him back for more than 3 or 4 mil a season.. I'd rather switch back to a 4-3 but thats for another thread

3:Nate Clements.... We've all bashed him on this board so he's not really overrated by us. But he was never worth the contract we paid him. I try him at safety for a reduced price..

4: Parys Harlson Had one decent year signed him to a decent contract and he sucked..

5:Manny Lawson.. Had his best season to date but still isn't what we thought he would be.. Makes me wonder how he may have thrived in a 4-3....

6: Frank Gore Yep I sad it.. And said it 2 seasons ago. Gore isn't overrated but we put too much focus on him. I posted that we should trade him after his huge year in 2006 with Norve and the gang cause I new we still were years away from a superbowl... I got roasted for the most part but look where we at now.. An aging HB with a bad hip.... Shoulda got what could for him while we had the chance. Cut throat like the organization use to be....

[ Edited by jays9ers on Jan 7, 2011 at 21:01:06 ]
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I love how everyone says we're so talented blahhhblaaaah blaaa... The truth is we lack speed at crucial posistions and overall talent at others. We need upgrades all over this roster. These are just a few guys who have been supremely overrated by this team and fans..

1:Dashon Goldson He was screaming last off season that he was the next Ronnie Lott and how he was gonna make mad money of the FA market... Yea he's an average player that isn't a game changer.

2: Franklin, Aubrayo One year wonder... Wouldn't bring him back for more than 3 or 4 mil a season.. I'd rather switch back to a 4-3 but thats for another thread

3:Nate Clements.... We've all bashed him on this board so he's not really overrated by us. But he was never worth the contract we paid him. I try him at safety for a reduced price..

4: Parys Harlson Had one decent year signed him to a decent contract and he sucked..

5:Manny Lawson.. Had his best season to date but still isn't what we thought he would be.. Makes me wonder how he may have thrived in a 4-3....

6: Frank Gore Yep I sad it.. And said it 2 seasons ago. Gore isn't overrated but we put too much focus on him. I posted that we should trade him after his huge year in 2006 with Norve and the gang cause I new we still were years away from a superbowl... I got roasted for the most part but look where we at now.. An aging HB with a bad hip.... Shoulda got what could for him while we had the chance. Cut throat like the organization use to be....

I would keep Franklin, Lawson and Gore. If Harbough brings his Stanford DC, we will need a good NT and LBs.
Originally posted by Go49erss:

I would keep Franklin, Lawson and Gore. If Harbough brings his Stanford DC, we will need a good NT and LBs.

The sad part is good NT's are hard to come by. And our outside LB's have been average to below average. And those are KEY posistions for a 3-4 defense....
Aww damn!! How could I forget about JOSH MORGAN! How many years has this dude been ready for a "breakout" season???
Originally posted by Go49erss:

On the Money!
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I wouldn't say Gore needs to go but I think he's overrated. He's not a top 5 or even top 10 back anymore. He's decent, average. The injury risk is just too great to depend on him to run a 1-back offense. He needs to accept a legit 2-back rotation like most of the league runs, and even then it may be best to get something for him now before his decline becomes more apparent.

[ Edited by vaden on Jan 7, 2011 at 21:08:24 ]
I can't think rationally about any other position until Goldson is gone.
nate davis.
Trade Gore? That really is Madden talk. I get the idea, but in the screaming, angry voice of Chris Carter:

C'MON, MAN!!!

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skynet907:
nate davis.

Alex Smith, well he's not overrated....

Nate Clements must go, he gets burned all the time
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Trade Gore? That really is Madden talk. I get the idea, but in the screaming, angry voice of Chris Carter:

C'MON, MAN!!!

I don't think it's Madden talk.. The Patriots do it, the Eagles do it.. Let go of players a year early before a year too late. The RB posistion isn't what it once was. You don't need one bell cow unless he is truely extrodinary. You can usually get the job done with a multiple back system. Simpletary didn't seem to understand this so he force fed Gore and had no other dymensions to his offense.. Look at the past few SB winners.. Saints, Colts, Giants, Patriots....

your out of your mind on some of these man. A.Franklin had a nice year for us, a slow start but alot of that can be put on the fact that he missed TC/most of PS.

Gore is a beast when healthy and will greatly benefit from not being run up the middle 95% of the time and having a more predictable offense that actually has a scheme to it

Goldston was WAY overrated last year. After the year he had this season I suspect he can be retained on the cheap. He's still a young DB that could emerge and shouldn't be kicked to the curb if he can be retained at value.

Lawson while not a passrusher has alot of skill and if paired with a great edge passrusher his skills or lack of a pr skill wouldnt' be so apparent. He shouldn't get the $8M/year he wanted but he's def a good player.

Clements def a little overrated at one time but not anymore. He's a very good tackler and would make a good #2 CB on any team. If he's willing to re-structure I'd welcome him back in that role or at Safety if not he's def not worth his current slary.

Haralson sucks yes and should be gone.
I think Franklin is actually an underrated aspect of our line. He does a lot of the dirty work inside helping other players get their numbers. But after franchising him would he want to stay? Would we be willing to sign him to a big contract he most likely will be looking for?

As far as Goldson, I don't think losing him would matter much. Which brings me to moving Clements to S and hopefully writing in T. Mays as the other S. Clements is decent but I think an upgrade is needed at CB.

Frank Gore is one of the better backs in the league. Only concern with him is his past injuries catching up to him.

Haralson and Lawson- ehh maybe, maybe not. WOuld have to know who we are replacing them with first. If we can upgrade those positions to more of a pass rush guy I wouldn't mind.
with any sort of blocking, gore would beast. he can still rip long runs. so shaddap
I don't think it's Madden talk.. The Patriots do it, the Eagles do it.. Let go of players a year early before a year too late. The RB posistion isn't what it once was. You don't need one bell cow unless he is truely extrodinary. You can usually get the job done with a multiple back system. Simpletary didn't seem to understand this so he force fed Gore and had no other dymensions to his offense.. Look at the past few SB winners.. Saints, Colts, Giants, Patriots....

I think you're exactly right. However, I'm skeptical that the trade value commanded by Gore exceeds his utility to the club.

You've made a great summary of why it makes sense to trade Gore. Unfortunately, I'm assuming that our potential trading partners are up to speed on this argument, thereby diminishing his trade value.

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Jan 7, 2011 at 21:22:18 ]