LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Does anyone have a link to Steve Youngs reaction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sounds like Steve creamed his pants.
Originally posted by titan:
^ I think Steve Young is too rich to be the 49ers QB coach! I think he is trying to own it, not coach it.

I wanna see him as the 49ers owner. I was hoping it would happen in 04 when the niners fell apart.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Who cares what Steve Young has to say. He's a freaking moron.

Be careful mayo, you might get a mormon beat down.
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Here is the transcript of the Young reaction/interview to Harbaugh hiring on NFL Live.

If you want to go directly to the site: Click That. It starts at 00:09:26.

It was a 3 minute interview. I've cleaned it up and made it easier to figure out who's saying what.

Quote:

NFL Live:
Joining the program now, somebody that knows Walsh and the Niners as well as anyone, hall of fame quarterback and NFL analyst, Steve young. Your reaction to the Niners landing Jim Harbaugh?

Steve Young:
Hallelujah! No, look, I'm a season ticket holder for the Stanford cardinal as well. I'm sad for the Stanford cardinal. I think Jim obviously could have been one of the great college coaches but hallelujah because the 49ers had vacated Bill Walsh and his legacy over the last ten years pretty effectively.

And I think it was the source of a lot of the problems that they had been facing. And I am so excited because i think Jim does understand that legacy, understands what Bill did, what he did is transformational in football and I see so many football organizations doing that, but I'm so much more affiliated with and it has been hard to be unaffiliated with what's been going on in San Francisco for so long. So this is a realignment, in my mind, for what the 49ers have always been and will be into the future.

I think Jim is a great resource for getting that figured out. I think offensive football will be re-energized here. He's got a good group of guys to get figured out. Quarterback is probably going to be the big issue as it always is with new coaches. But I personally think that we're very lucky to have somebody that is connected with Bill, someone knew him at Stanford, played in the era that understands what the 49ers did and now can re-energize that again for the Bay Area and for the 49ers.

NFL Live:
With that said, Steve, a lot of people look at the recent history of some college coaches making the jump to the NFL. You talk about bobby Petrino, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, butch Davis, Mitch Riley. Jim Harbaugh played in the league for a long time.
What are your thoughts of the transition he'll have to make from the college game to the NFL game?

Steve Young:
Well, I think it is a lot of just the way that the NFL is run and how, you know, college is just so significantly different. And so there are -- just like college quarterbacks and pro quarterbacks, a huge filter.

Jim has a leg up because he's played and he's been through it and he knows. That's a piece of it. That's not all of it, but it is a piece of it. Jim is a great recruiter and set up for college. But I think he also is very smart, I really appreciate his love for the artistry of quarterbacking and the NFL and understanding that.

And I think you talk about a quarterback centric lead, if you got somebody that understands the league, understands offensive football, has experienced it, understands the 49ers and how the 49ers did it successfully for so long and can re-energize that, you've got a lot of leg ups.

Michael (Michael Smith was hosting), there is no question that you go to the pros, no matter who it is, it is not 50/50, but it is tough to know you'll be successful. Not very many are. So knowing that, I think there is a lot of pieces to Jim Harbaugh that give you a sense that, you know, there is the incrementally better off than a 50/50 bet. I just -- I have a high sense that Jim will be successful here.

NFL Live:
All right, Steve, thank you very much for the insight.

You just gave me masturbation material for the next month. Thanks...
They had Young on the telephone...he wasn't in the studio. I swear, he said BW told him Harbaugh would be the next great Niner coach. I could've heard it wrong, but I don't think so.

I guess I do not understand this comment...I can only guess you are joking because Steve Young is a HOF QB, knows the WCO, the 49ers, and what it take to win better than everyone in this forum combined. So, if he says this is the right move, I am going to take his word for it.
Young was pumped up when I heard him on ESPN...it was just after the announcement that Harbaugh had been hired. It was his early gut reaction to the news...and you could tell, he was excited.
Originally posted by vaden:
Dunno where to post this, and a lot of new threads get locked... came across this great NFL Primetime highlight of a hobbled Steve Young's comeback against the Bengals in '96: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XQ09JU0zkM

Also T.O.'s first TD catch.

I saw that game in person. It was amazing to watch Young hobble into the endzone on the bootleg.
Originally posted by Truman1:

I guess I do not understand this comment...I can only guess you are joking because Steve Young is a HOF QB, knows the WCO, the 49ers, and what it take to win better than everyone in this forum combined. So, if he says this is the right move, I am going to take his word for it.

i think it was a joke truman lol
Originally posted by fandemonium:
Originally posted by vaden:
Dunno where to post this, and a lot of new threads get locked... came across this great NFL Primetime highlight of a hobbled Steve Young's comeback against the Bengals in '96: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XQ09JU0zkM

Also T.O.'s first TD catch.

I saw that game in person. It was amazing to watch Young hobble into the endzone on the bootleg.
This was the first 49er game I ever went to. My dad and I flew out from Austin and watched it. I'll never forget it. I think I still have the ticket stub somewhere.

Share 49ersWebzone