LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Vick's return raises questions about the future of Kevin Kolb, who began the season as the Eagles' starting quarterback but lost the job after he was injured. Kolb, who's under contract in Philadelphia for next season, has said he wants to start in the NFL.
As badly as Kolb wants to start someplace he won't go anywhere unless the Eagles decide to trade him. That is unlikely given Vick's style of play and history of getting nicked up because of it.

The Eagles have a lot of talent on that team and will be planning on a run at the Super Bowl next year. They won't make it if Vick gets hurt and they don't have a decent QB. Hence, Kolb will be retained unless someone is willing to give the Eagles the 1st round pick they are asking. Though that price is high, with so many teams needing a QB, the bidding will almost certainly go that high.

Even if teams refuse to give up a 1st round pick, I highly doubt the Eagles would lower their asking price. They have ZERO reasons to trade him and this almost ensures that a team will have to over compensate to obtain him.

IMO, Kolb is a huge gamble. He's done nothing to warrant that kind of consideration. It seems some people have had a love affair with this guy since he had 1 good game several years ago. Since then Kolb has been up and down.....
If Kolb was worth a first round pick, he wouldn't have been so inconsistent considering the weapons that team has on offense.

Jackson, Maclin, McCoy, and Reid could make JTO look worthy of a 1st rd pick
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
The franchise tag will only last through the end of the 2010-2011 season. Any team can franchise anyone they want, but without knowing the terms of the new CBA it may not mean anything. If there is no franchise tag in the new agreement, the Eagles putting the tag on Vick in Feb won't mean a thing.

Actually, the franchise tag is a contractual agreement. A player must sign the contract in order to play.

If the Eagles franchise Vick and he signs it, he will be under contract just like any other player.

Sorry guys, but fakers is right on this one.

Wodo - love you bud but just because a player is franchised, it doesn't mean he has to sing this immediately. Vick nor any player with an agent worth his salt wouldn't have their client sign this until the new CBA is finished. Franchised just mean you sign the contract the moment before actual games begin.

Cosigned. Franchise tagged players probably won't sign until a new CBA is finished, and it's possible(not probable) that a new CBA wouldn't even contain a franchise tag or could make it irrelevant.

edit: So I guess technically he was right but for the most part it's still the same thing everyone else was saying. He probably wouldn't sign until a new CBA is reached and also, trades can't be made until a new CBA is completed I believe.

And not only that, I'm not even sure why Kolb is considered such a great option? He played with a great supporting cast and a great coach and he had a 76 QB rating. That's not even better than a certain QB everyone hates on the 9ers, and its not like Kolb has ever been amazingly productive to appear as such a great option.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jan 30, 2011 at 23:53:10 ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The franchise tag will only last through the end of the 2010-2011 season. Any team can franchise anyone they want, but without knowing the terms of the new CBA it may not mean anything. If there is no franchise tag in the new agreement, the Eagles putting the tag on Vick in Feb won't mean a thing.

Actually, the franchise tag is a contractual agreement. A player must sign the contract in order to play.

If the Eagles franchise Vick and he signs it, he will be under contract just like any other player.

Wodo - love you bud but just because a player is franchised, it doesn't mean he has to sing this immediately. Vick nor any player with an agent worth his salt wouldn't have their client sign this until the new CBA is finished. Franchised just mean you sign the contract the moment before actual games begin.

Hmm... I'm not so sure about how the rule works anymore. I tried researching it, but I failed.

NFL.com and ESPN.com are reporting that the franchise tag will ensure that Vick remains with the Eagles next season. I know that the franchise tag was extended into next season by the NFL. Goodell met with 10 reporters on the 27th to confirm this. link

I think this may be more complicated than I thought. I think it may be more complicated than I want to think about.

In any case, fakers still appears to be correct. The Eagles intend to franchise Vick and it will be valid for the 2011-2012 season.

My head is now full of speculation about labor negotiations. Do not want.

Looks like the league may not lock out the players... the franchise tag being allowed is an indication. However, it may be an attempt to force the players to strike. Yuck.
still think this

Originally posted by jreff22:
still think this

I think he might be here for competition.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
still think this

im on board
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
still think this

im on board

Edwards? Who is that?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Kolb is on the block and is a better option then going back to Smith...

Yup... Eagles franchised Vick so they are listening to offers for Kolb. The price is gonna be pretty high though, I'm guessing they are gonna ask for a first for him but I wouldnt do a first.

I dont think they can even franchise him yet dude, there's not even a CBA.

You be wrong.. They can still use the franchise tag untill March 4.. Hence why they are doing it in Feb..

This guy doesn't know you cant use a franchise tag until the FA period

Always remember McNabb has played in 4 Super Bowls!

I said 4 NFC championships...But nice try!

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Kolb is on the block and is a better option then going back to Smith...

Yup... Eagles franchised Vick so they are listening to offers for Kolb. The price is gonna be pretty high though, I'm guessing they are gonna ask for a first for him but I wouldnt do a first.

I dont think they can even franchise him yet dude, there's not even a CBA.

You be wrong.. They can still use the franchise tag untill March 4.. Hence why they are doing it in Feb..

Why would anyone need to use a franchise tag when deals and trade aren't permitted yet??

Your allowed to use the Franchise tag before March 3... The season ends in Feburary..

"The Philadelphia Eagles will make it official next month and place their franchise tag on quarterback Michael Vick, a league source has confirmed. "

I'm not saying, you can't use the Tag, but why would you need to right now??
  • dj43

Cosigned. Franchise tagged players probably won't sign until a new CBA is finished, and it's possible(not probable) that a new CBA wouldn't even contain a franchise tag or could make it irrelevant.

edit: So I guess technically he was right but for the most part it's still the same thing everyone else was saying. He probably wouldn't sign until a new CBA is reached and also, trades can't be made until a new CBA is completed I believe.

And not only that, I'm not even sure why Kolb is considered such a great option? He played with a great supporting cast and a great coach and he had a 76 QB rating. That's not even better than a certain QB everyone hates on the 9ers, and its not like Kolb has ever been amazingly productive to appear as such a great option.
Kolb is an example of how this "perfect storm" about the quarterback position has affected the thinking of some. As you say, Kolb has done nothing to justify Philly asking even a 2nd round pick, much less a first, yet some people talk as if he would be worth a 1st and perhaps even more.

Alex Smith is targeted with the blame for EVERYTHING that has gone wrong here, even the York ownership in a de facto way. He came here during the worst period of coaching the franchise has endured since 1977-78. He came when the team had less talent than the expansion Houston Texans. And he came from an offense that was very different from the offense he ran in college. We all know the history and the results, so though Smith shares 1/3 of the "blame," if you will, the majority falls on a very poorly run franchise. So now many people are willing to accept an inferior QB just to be rid of their "whipping boy." The logic there is very fuzzy.

As you note, if Kolb could not even equal Smith's numbers in Philly, how could anyone even begin to make a valid case he would do better here?

If we're going to be "actually-ing", actually the franchise tag is NOT a contractual agreement. Until the player signs a contract there is no agreement of any kind, and in many cases the player doesn't sign until well after the tag has been applied to him. In others they force a trade or sign a long term deal at less per year than being the franchise tag player would have paid them for that one year.

Sooooo. Assuming the Eagles franchise him in February and they do not come to an agreement that he signs before March 5th, and there is no Franchise tag in the next CBA, the fact that they put the tag on him during the current CBA will mean DICK.

Thanks for playing.

Thank you... It seems like thier just looking for an excuse to say I'm wrong..

You are wrong. And it's "they're".
Originally posted by SJniner7:
still think this

im on board

Edwards? Who is that?

Edwards
  • dj43
still think this

im on board

Edwards? Who is that?

Edwards
Why do you prefer Edwards? You must see something in him I don't. I'm open to all suggestions but I have not seen enough from him to convince me.
still think this

im on board

Edwards? Who is that?

Edwards
Why do you prefer Edwards? You must see something in him I don't. I'm open to all suggestions but I have not seen enough from him to convince me.

It's not that I "like" him, it's availability. He wont cost a pick and worked with Jim his senior year I believe. He knows the system and probably some of the staff, he fits on that basis alone. Can he play well........no idea?
still think this

im on board

Edwards? Who is that?

Edwards

His first two years showed A LOT of promise. Playing in Buffalo of all places.
Share 49ersWebzone