There are 252 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by susweel:
I can see him making play for Trent Edwards.

I watched every Bills game when T.O. was on the team, and Edwards has been figured out...and he has not adjusted back.

the guy is inaccurate and can not hit a deep pass....sure the Bills had Oline problems, but even Fitzpatrick was able to still look decent with that.....he had another chance when the Jags needed him the last game of the season, and I believe he struggled there as well.

I was curious about the guy a couple of years ago, but when you watch these players every week you know more about them.

same thing happened this year when I watched every Bengals game.... Palmer was horrible and he let his team down on a number of occasions. Before the season, I didn't mind having him on the team...but after watching him play every week....it was painful.

it was fun watching Shaun Hill this year though...he looked good most of the time he was out there.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 8, 2011 at 21:38:47 ]
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by Mtzqb18:
anyone realize PEYTON MANNING is a free agent?

I honestly think he's a little overrated because of his playoff performances, but remember he's had to go through the AFC. If he played in the NFC he'd probably have 6 Super Bowl appearances by now. I doubt he'll consider coming here but I'd be willing to pay him even more than Brady got. Not that he's better - he isn't - but Brady isn't available and Manning would make us an instant contender.

f**k it. I'm on the MANNING TRAIN. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He must be very angry after the loss today

Especially with his coaches when called a stupid timeout on the last plays against the Jets

COME ON JED, MOVE ON!
GO FOR MANNING!!

Jed said: "Money is no object"

Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Vernon Davis, Crabtree

SUPERBOWL!!!

[ Edited by NinersEverywhere on Jan 8, 2011 at 22:24:16 ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

McNabb is just getting old, he is not lazy, just worn out.

I have to preface this by saying as I do with all my posts about McNabb, that I am not a McNabb fan because he went to Syracuse and I hate Syracuse for beating my alma mater, UNC, in the 1987 NCAA Tournament. But people forget how he was getting the Eagles into the playoffs early on in his career with Freddy Mitchell, Todd Pinkston and James Thrash and Deuce Staley at RB. Not bad, but also not exactly what I'd call a great top flight arsenal.

Philly got comfortable with him being the play maker on offense and really didn't put anything there to complement him until they got Owens and Westbrook out there regularly in 2004 and '05. For the past 5 years while in Philly he had Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis as his main receivers until Jackson and Maclin got drafted. Now on Washington he has Moss, well known as an underachiever, Cooley at TE just coming off of a major injury last season and Torain as his RB with a OLine worse than the Niners.

And can folks quit talking about Shanahan like he is some "Guru of great QB's." Outside of Elway, he hasn't done dik in the developing great QB's department and Jake Plummer's azz don't count and Cutler was a work in progress as well. Bowlen and the Broncos realized this about Rat face Shanahan and that is part of the reason why he was fired in Denver.

Back to McNabb. The reason McNabb got dumped for Vick was because Vick is younger and is the obvious choice for a team that has that option and we don't. We need a guy who knows the WCO, has had great success in it and the best part is, we aren't relying on him to give us 5 years. We only need him for 2 years tops. It makes sense for a short term fix to bridge the gap to Newton or whomever it is.

[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Jan 9, 2011 at 17:33:58 ]
Originally posted by Method:

I honestly think he's a little overrated because of his playoff performances, but remember he's had to go through the AFC. If he played in the NFC he'd probably have 6 Super Bowl appearances by now. I doubt he'll consider coming here but I'd be willing to pay him even more than Brady got. Not that he's better - he isn't - but Brady isn't available and Manning would make us an instant contender.

f**k it. I'm on the MANNING TRAIN. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Colts would never let him walk. Don't get your hopes up.
Originally posted by carias416:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Note on Flynn and Kolb and Johnson. All are under contract for 2010, and would need a trade to secure their services.

Flynn and Kolb will cost 9ers 1 and a 3 round pick Johnson will be just a 3 or a 4 round pick. Johnson is the only one of the three QB that 9ers should look at

Matt Flynn for a 1st and a 3rd? You must be crazy.

Kolb MIGHT go for a 1st but I believe our 2nd would be good enough. Trading for Kolb isn't like trading for Cutler a few years back.

I think a 2nd or 3rd could get Orton.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Note on Flynn and Kolb and Johnson. All are under contract for 2010, and would need a trade to secure their services.

Flynn and Kolb will cost 9ers 1 and a 3 round pick Johnson will be just a 3 or a 4 round pick. Johnson is the only one of the three QB that 9ers should look at

Kolb MIGHT go for a 1st but I believe our 2nd would be good enough. Trading for Kolb isn't like trading for Cutler a few years back.

So the Eagles , who just gave Kolb a big bonus last year and have him signed for a very reasonable salary this year are going to give up Kolb for a second round pick? They would do this knowing that Vick's playing style almost guarantees that the #2 QB will have to start at some point during the season?

Is that your theory?
I know this doesn't make for good discussion, but for the first time in a long time I'm totally ok with whatever the Niners decide to do. I can assume that whatever Harbaugh/Baalke decide it's a much better plan than anything I could of thought of.

If the Colts didn't have Manning this year, they would probably have the first pick in the draft. He was the only reason they made it to the playoffs.
Originally posted by Otter:

So the Eagles , who just gave Kolb a big bonus last year and have him signed for a very reasonable salary this year are going to give up Kolb for a second round pick? They would do this knowing that Vick's playing style almost guarantees that the #2 QB will have to start at some point during the season?

Is that your theory?

Andy Reid is a smart man, and we are not going to come out on top dealing with him.
vick bcuz jed will sell the fram for him.. hahaha no probably orton proven to win

There is little need for Harbaugh to spend draft picks on a QB unless he reallly likes them. I would see him useing a very low pick or picking someone off the waiver wire. If he really likes someone then that bodes well for next year. It might take him a year or two to find his QB. Perhaps we will get Luck(y)! Don't laugh, did you think we would end up with the top coaching prospect a week ago? I did not.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

Yes, according to Matt Williamson of Scouts.Inc:

"The 49ers were the worst schematic team in the league," Williamson said. "That starts with Singletary and goes down to the way they handle quarterbacks, put together game plans, have no stability. Harbaugh will erase all that. He is worth more to the Niners than any other team in the league."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/31052/jim-harbaugh-a-home-run-for-49ers

But but it's all the QBs fault.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
There is little need for Harbaugh to spend draft picks on a QB unless he reallly likes them. I would see him useing a very low pick or picking someone off the waiver wire. If he really likes someone then that bodes well for next year. It might take him a year or two to find his QB. Perhaps we will get Luck(y)! Don't laugh, did you think we would end up with the top coaching prospect a week ago? I did not.

i agree and he doesn't need to pick a qb high in this draft. in the garbage division we play in, with a veteran like orton or mcnabb we can win the division easy. i say draft cb peterson from lsu with the #7, sign asomugha from the raiders. that improves our secondary from one of the worst to one of the best. and with the rest of the picks we can improve our pass rush, lb's, s, and wr's.
Mcnabb, he is the the most experienced QB for the West Coast offense that we could get and he has a strong arm.
Originally posted by Otter:

Is that your theory?

My belief is they might be willing to trade Kevin Kolb. Is that too hard for you to understand?

Lemme break it down for you since you seem to be having a little trouble with this basic concept. It's called a trade. In older days, it may have been called a barter.

I have an item that I place a certain value on. I may be willing to barter it. In exchange, I get a return in the form of another item that I feel will ultimately upgrade my plight. This is what we call a trade.

Got it? If you need more help, I suggest dictionary.com. A great resource. I suggest reading up on the words "theory" and "hypothesis" as well.

[ Edited by Leathaface on Jan 9, 2011 at 09:53:06 ]
Share 49ersWebzone