There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

I personally dont think Alex is any good as a starter, but could serve as a viable backup with the proper coaching (he will not start on any other team in ths league, so I'm sure he would stay here as a backup willing to compete for the starting job). I think we should trade for Orton or Kolb (in that order) for the starting job, keep Alex as a backup, and draft a QB with the 7th pick to learn the system, and eventually take over.

[ Edited by P-52ENFORCER on Jan 8, 2011 at 04:21:27 ]
Personally I like Alex Smith and hope he finally has his day in the sun, but not here, it's time to severe ties. McNabb is done, he's the last person I want. Harbaugh is here, give him time to remake this team the right way. My hope is the dead weight gets cut around here. Rather than sitting here hoping that players on this team who haven't performed up to par in the past suddenly turn it around, I'm hoping we hit the start over button. There are pieces here, I'm not saying blow it all up, but this team is not a super bowl team that just needs a head coach and qb. I would rather draft a rook or trade for a young guy who isn't a year or two away from retirement. I'm more interested in long term sucess for this team as opposed to a quick fix. I know we've been down for a long time, but i'm willing to wait a little while longer if it means we're competitive year in and out. Just my two cents.

[ Edited by pwf1974 on Jan 8, 2011 at 04:47:49 ]
To be honest, as much as I'm not a fan of Mcnabb, I think he could possibly be a good fit. Yeah he did have a down year with the Redskins whose offensive line was in shambles, whose WR's core wasn't that great aside from Santana Moss, who had is best season of his 10 year career with Mcnabb at QB might I add, and whose running game was down the drown after Portis couldn't stay healthy. Torrain filled in decently but nothing to get excited about.

Andy Reid didn't get rid of Mcnabb for the reason of his play. Remember, last year when he actually had weapons in a WCO (Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Celek, Mccoy) he had 3,500 yards 22 TD's 10 INT's and a 92.9 QB rating and we haven't seen numbers CLOSE to that since Garcia's 2002 season (3,400 yards 21 TD's 10 INT's 85.6 QB rating. Reid new he had a younger, high draft pick in the wings and wanted to see what he had out of him.

In a WCO, you have to have the ability to hit your WR's IN STRIDE in order for it to work. This is why I don't think Alex will be the QB. He has never ONCE learned how to do this in 6 years and I think Harbaugh would be able to help Alex under different circumstances but Alex has had 6 years worth of bad coaching which means Jim would have to essentially get rid of all his bad habits and start from scratch. No thank you

Dennis Dixon would be my free agent choice before Mcnabb because he is younger and has had good game experience as well as sat behind a GREAT NFL QB who knows what it takes to win a game.

Kyle Orton would be my ideal trade scenario because he is still young and has been effective for the past 3 years straight.

Other than that, draft a guy such as Mallet, Gabbert, Newton or Ponder and Stanzi later and work your magic in getting them ready for Day 1.

As much media coverage as we have been getting for Jim, it is only right to change the face of the Franchise and start fresh. I don't understand some posters saying we would be "worse" than what we are if we sign one of those guys instead of staying with Alex How can we possibly be any worse than 6 straight (Alex era) and 8 straight (total) non-winning seasons??? It can't get any worse people
Originally posted by Sims84:
To be honest, as much as I'm not a fan of Mcnabb, I think he could possibly be a good fit. Yeah he did have a down year with the Redskins whose offensive line was in shambles, whose WR's core wasn't that great aside from Santana Moss, who had is best season of his 10 year career with Mcnabb at QB might I add, and whose running game was down the drown after Portis couldn't stay healthy. Torrain filled in decently but nothing to get excited about.

Andy Reid didn't get rid of Mcnabb for the reason of his play. Remember, last year when he actually had weapons in a WCO (Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Celek, Mccoy) he had 3,500 yards 22 TD's 10 INT's and a 92.9 QB rating and we haven't seen numbers CLOSE to that since Garcia's 2002 season (3,400 yards 21 TD's 10 INT's 85.6 QB rating. Reid new he had a younger, high draft pick in the wings and wanted to see what he had out of him.

In a WCO, you have to have the ability to hit your WR's IN STRIDE in order for it to work. This is why I don't think Alex will be the QB. He has never ONCE learned how to do this in 6 years and I think Harbaugh would be able to help Alex under different circumstances but Alex has had 6 years worth of bad coaching which means Jim would have to essentially get rid of all his bad habits and start from scratch. No thank you

Dennis Dixon would be my free agent choice before Mcnabb because he is younger and has had good game experience as well as sat behind a GREAT NFL QB who knows what it takes to win a game.

[b]Kyle Orton would be my ideal trade scenario because he is still young and has been effective for the past 3 years straight.[/b]

Other than that, draft a guy such as Mallet, Gabbert, Newton or Ponder and Stanzi later and work your magic in getting them ready for Day 1.

As much media coverage as we have been getting for Jim, it is only right to change the face of the Franchise and start fresh. I don't understand some posters saying we would be "worse" than what we are if we sign one of those guys instead of staying with Alex How can we possibly be any worse than 6 straight (Alex era) and 8 straight (total) non-winning seasons??? It can't get any worse people

If you look at Orton he fades as the season goes along each and every year. I would almost rather go with a rookie than Orton. Newton would be nice because of his athletic abilities but Ponder or Stanzi should work fine amongst others.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

He hasnt played enough to warrant a future HOF batch, but he's better than anyone else out there......and his age makes him a franchise QB.

McNabb sucks. He's dropped off badly. At this point he's not any better than Alex.

Granted McNabb did not do well in Washington, but that could provide him the motivation needed to come back and have a good year. And I do think he has one more good year left.

I think we could get to a winning season with McNabb.

Having McNabb would give time for the development a new QB.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Nab McNabb
I think we're going to acquire Orton or Josh Johnson and draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. We have 2 #4s.

Prediction:

Trade a 3rd for Kyle Orton and draft Ricki Stanzi in the 4th round. Stanzi runs the West Coast offense at Iowa.
I'm a little surprised that instead of a Flynn or Kolb, who both would require draft picks and be very expensive in that regard, no one has mentioned Vince Young, the owner of the RoseBowl. Yeah, he had a couple great yrs with the Titans, but he also had some bad ones, and if there is a question mark, it is, is he a head case? That is a question for harbaugh and baalke to answer, but raw talent, physical attributes, are both there...i do not believe he really has been coached by a great OC/HC, even tho i admire Jeff Fisher, so VY may be one of those included on the "available and needs to have a look" list. Being in the league 6 or 7 yrs, now, he should be hitting his prime, and maybe just a change of scenery would give him a football rebirth. He would definitely need a great OC/ HC, but there is the beauty of Jim Harbaugh. We already have our QB coach, OC, and HC...all in one guy, regardless of who actually occupies the position.

One of the sportswriters said it best. There is not any team in the NFL that needed a jim harbaugh worse than the 49ers...a concession to the fact that we have been not only leaderless for 7 yrs, but also without an OC or Qb coach the entire time. WEll , we got one now: HC, OC,QB coach. Truly the 9ers could not have gotten a better guy to coach than Harbaugh. i can feel nothing but excitement at his hiring, and all the things said(many by me) about the jedi, i now will have to start looking for a huge pile of crow which i will have to begin eating.
Originally posted by redmanc07:

[b]Kyle Orton would be my ideal trade scenario because he is still young and has been effective for the past 3 years straight.[/b]

If you look at Orton he fades as the season goes along each and every year. I would almost rather go with a rookie than Orton. Newton would be nice because of his athletic abilities but Ponder or Stanzi should work fine amongst others.

Fades as the season goes along every year? Really? in 2009, his last 5 out of 6 games of the season he posted a QB rating of AT LEAST 89.1 (89.1, 92.1, 95.3, 92.5, 90.4) so no fading there. This year, he posted a 131.5 (KC), 76.3 (SD), and a 110.5 (STL) before he had two bad games before Tebow took over so I wouldn't really say he "fades as the season goes along every year".

Even if he does have a drop in production towards the end of the season (worst case scenario), that means the Rookie QB will have OTA's, Training camp, Pre-season and about 9-11 games of sitting behind a very serviceable QB. Then he can take over and get that all important game experience to finish off he season and then take over for good in year 2 under Harbaugh.

If Orton doesn't fade, then we make the playoffs (guarantee it) and the rookie can sit back until it's his time but Orton can easily play good ball until it's time to pass to the torch.
How about Palmer?
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by 9erred:
My vote goes for Trent Edwards. He was a Stanford guy, and he can thrive under Harbaugh. If not, Orton if he can be had for a 3rd round pick instead of the 2nd they broncos want.

I may be a bit of a masochist, but I would love to see what harbaugh get get out of Alex smith

Who knows what we can get out of Troy or Alex when they aren't getting coached by a QB killer. But it's hard to imagine Alex wanting to stay here.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm a little surprised that instead of a Flynn or Kolb, who both would require draft picks and be very expensive in that regard, no one has mentioned Vince Young, the owner of the RoseBowl. Yeah, he had a couple great yrs with the Titans, but he also had some bad ones, and if there is a question mark, it is, is he a head case? That is a question for harbaugh and baalke to answer, but raw talent, physical attributes, are both there...i do not believe he really has been coached by a great OC/HC, even tho i admire Jeff Fisher, so VY may be one of those included on the "available and needs to have a look" list. Being in the league 6 or 7 yrs, now, he should be hitting his prime, and maybe just a change of scenery would give him a football rebirth. He would definitely need a great OC/ HC, but there is the beauty of Jim Harbaugh. We already have our QB coach, OC, and HC...all in one guy, regardless of who actually occupies the position.

One of the sportswriters said it best. There is not any team in the NFL that needed a jim harbaugh worse than the 49ers...a concession to the fact that we have been not only leaderless for 7 yrs, but also without an OC or Qb coach the entire time. WEll , we got one now: HC, OC,QB coach. Truly the 9ers could not have gotten a better guy to coach than Harbaugh. i can feel nothing but excitement at his hiring, and all the things said(many by me) about the jedi, i now will have to start looking for a huge pile of crow which i will have to begin eating.

A lot of that going around, huh Pas? It just goes to show you that fans don't know as much about the inner workings of an organization as they pretend to think.

Here's to returning to a winning culture. Go Niners!!

Kyle Orton would be my ideal trade scenario because he is still young and has been effective for the past 3 years straight.

I agree with your assessment, however Santana Moss has done much better. He doesn't have many 1,000 yard seasons under his belt, but in the other ones he has produced, he performed MUCH better. You are forgetting 2005, when he absolutely exploded with the Redskins.

I like McNabb, but the problem is McNabb, even at this point will cost too much for the job we need done here, which is to keep the seat warm while we develop our QB for the future. It makes no sense for him when he can make more and not have a young guy to look over his shoulder at elsewhere (Minnesota or Miami for example).

I prefer going the route of trading for Kyle Orton or signing a Dennis Dixon, drafting Cam Newton or a QB in the later rounds to develop, and keeping Troy Smith or Nate Davis as our no. 3. BTW, doesn't Nate Davis have another year of practice squad eligibility? If so, we may be able to keep all 4 QBs.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I agree with your assessment, however Santana Moss has done much better. He doesn't have many 1,000 yard seasons under his belt, but in the other ones he has produced, he performed MUCH better. You are forgetting 2005, when he absolutely exploded with the Redskins.

I like McNabb, but the problem is McNabb, even at this point will cost too much for the job we need done here, which is to keep the seat warm while we develop our QB for the future. It makes no sense for him when he can make more and not have a young guy to look over his shoulder at elsewhere (Minnesota or Miami for example).

I prefer going the route of trading for Kyle Orton or signing a Dennis Dixon, drafting Cam Newton or a QB in the later rounds to develop, and keeping Troy Smith or Nate Davis as our no. 3. BTW, doesn't Nate Davis have another year of practice squad eligibility? If so, we may be able to keep all 4 QBs.

You are right. I forgot all about that monstrous 2005 season But I get what your saying about Mcnabb not wanting to serve as a "stop-gap" kind of guy and that is very understandable.

Orton is my top choice but that all depends on what the price tag is on him. If we can somehow get him for a 2nd, maybe but if they can negotiate a 3rd and 4th for him, the HELL YEAH. It all depends on management. I have seen a trades before that left me thinking, "why didn't we try that" (Santanio Holmes for instance) so it all depends on management and what kind of negotiating skills they have.

I think Davis is PS eligible for one more year so that would be something to look into
Brady Quinn?