LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

Which defense do you prefer next year in SAN FRANCISCO??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

4-6
Vic Fangio runs a 3-4 at Stanford, so we're gonna stick to the 3-4 probably.
Originally posted by fryet:
I would prefer to not totally destroy the 49ers and go back to a 4-12 season. Current defense has been adequate - let's improve on that instead of trying to rebuild both the offense and defense this year.

Good insight.. Very "non-knee jerk".. We need more of that around here..
Originally posted by fryet:
I would prefer to not totally destroy the 49ers and go back to a 4-12 season. Current defense has been adequate - let's improve on that instead of trying to rebuild both the offense and defense this year.

3-4 is what we should do. Especially with the extreme depth of pass-rushers and defensive linemen this year. Replacing any of these guys will be far, far easier than many expect.
Since we don't have that stud NT to make a 3-4 really run well I think we're better off running the 4-3. 4-3 DT's are easier to find than 3-4 NT's imo.
We are 1 good rush linebacker away from a good 3-4 D. We don't really have any true DE on the team other than J. Smith. The rest of the d-line are basically tackles.
I do feel that we are built better for a 4-3 but i like the aggressive 3-4 D's better... I chose the 3-4
3-4 especially if we go with Vic Fangio as DC

Keep in mind Vic Fangio was a Dom Capers guys along so he'd likely be more aggressive with his 3-4 than Manusky is with his.

Not to mention we've been building a 3-4 defense for 6 years now and I don't see any reason to switch from it now if we don't have to.

Get a legit pass rusher and I think we'd have a pretty fearsome defense and you wouldn't be having this talk of if we should switch back to 4-3.
3-4 for a couple of reasons:

1) Its what he ran at Stanford and what he's familiar with
2) Its what our guys have run for a while and have been pretty successful with
3) Continuity
4) Easy transition for our players

Let Harbaugh fix our offense and leave our defense as it is. Focus on Offense for the most part in the draft and FA, but get a good DE, and CB. We've ranked in the top 15 (I think) since Manusky has been running it. That's not bad considering our friggin offense never let them take a break. After a year or two, then he'll know our defensive players a little more and might decide to do something different.
3-4

It gives you more options, more disguise, more flexibility, and more current relevance.

The League has now shifted (at least its more successful teams) to a wider pass-oriented style of offense. Ergo, having an extra linebacker to cover a TE or slot WR is better in those instances than having that man instead be a DE/DT leaving a larger hole in your coverage.

The argument to switch to a 4-3 because of the perceived strengths of our current and possibly soon-to-be defense is valid, IMO. However, to that same point, I would argue our secondary could use that supplemental bit of support the extra 3-4 linebacker provides.

3-4 for me.

4-3 Under scheme... especially if we can re-sign Lawson.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/23/958892/a-very-brief-introduction-the-4-3
I think we have better personnel for the 3-4 (better lock up Franklin/Spikes though) plus the Standford DC will probably come with Harbaugh and he runs a 3-4.

I haven't heard anyone ask JH this directly yet which puzzles me.
It looks like the 3-4
here

With the overhaul of personnel changes from top to bottom, it's going to be interesting to see what they figure out with the group of guys we have.

I mean besides the x's & o's, the other side of football is going to be a whole new beginning. New terminology, personality clashes, creative disagreements, etc. These players still have some "sing" in them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's gunna take time for guys bite into Harbaugh's ideas/formality.

I hope HBO considers the 49ers as the next team on hard knox. I really would like to get a behind the scenes look at this process.
Share 49ersWebzone