There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
We don't need a great QB. We need a capable QB. Great QB's are made with solid coaching, solid play calling, a strong offensive line, an above average RB and a solid set of receivers to catch the ball. I believe we almost have all of those. Our offensive line (barring any injuries) will be very strong next year. We have one of the best TEs in the league. Crabtree and Morgan have potential to be a very good 1-2. And although Frank is getting older, he still has it. We need the coaching, play calling, and a capable QB.

Side note regarding our offensive line:

Although we didn't have very many huge offensive plays, it seemed like we had even less holding penalties. I could be waaay off on this, but with a young and inexperienced (Davis and Iupati) offensive line, i was expecting a lot of holding penalties this year. any thoughts?
We are all agreed we need someone "good" to start and play until a rookie is ready to play. I think we are all also in agreement we don't want to make the same mistake with a new rookie that we made with Alex Smith by starting him before he is ready to play.

So, from the list I posted earlier, who would you choose and what would you give up to get them?

Also note, any draft pick you give up is another need that will not be filled.

I know i am going to be given hell for this, but i would not mind seeing Alex back. And yes, i can make all of the Alexcuses in the book. He never had consistent coaching, he never had an offensive HC, he was thrown under the bus by nowin and dingleberry, blah blah blah. If he goes to another team so be it. But if no one else wants him (which i guess is a red flag right there), we should sign him to a one year deal. And if Harbaugh is our coach, maybe he can QB Guru his a$$ into shape. The pickens seem mighty slim out there for a QB right now.
The bolded is the big issue, but I would like to stay away from another Alex discussion in this thread.

So do you have a preference from the other available remedies?

You are absolutely right. Alex need not apply in this thread. My bad. If harbaugh is our coah, I would like so see the niners make a play for josh johnson, bucs backup. He is familiar with harbaughs system, harbaugh really liked him, and I don't think we would have to give up a lot. Maybe a 4th rounder. Freeman looks like the franchise over there. If harbaugh is not our coach, then I have no clue.
Originally posted by dr8van:
McNabb makes the most sense for Harbaugh (if thats the coach). WCO, trade this years 4th and a conditional 3rd next year to the skins, draft a QB in the 2nd rd, grab the lock down corner in the first round. Sign McNabb for 2 yrs. Sign Westbrook for 2 yrs. Let the rookie learn for 2 years. McNabb in Harbaugh's WCO will be enough to win 11 games and the division in those 2 yrs. The organization will look better and the front office stable with success. At that point this team would be able to take off.

Completely agree. Get mcnabb or kolb and we are good. They are both accurate and mobile and we need both. Both troy and alex werent accurate....esp troy. How do you complete far less than 50 percent of your passes in games against bad defenses. You cant fix accuracy problems that easily. We need to trade a second for kolb because he is better than most second round qbs and alot of first rounders as of late. Or mcbabb and we will pay a lot for him but he is a good vet who takes care of the ball. If we had that this year we would of been at least 9 - 7. We need to draft a cb in the first. The de olbs are npt a lock but the top 2 cbs seem to be a safe bet
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by dr8van:
McNabb makes the most sense for Harbaugh (if thats the coach). WCO, trade this years 4th and a conditional 3rd next year to the skins, draft a QB in the 2nd rd, grab the lock down corner in the first round. Sign McNabb for 2 yrs. Sign Westbrook for 2 yrs. Let the rookie learn for 2 years. McNabb in Harbaugh's WCO will be enough to win 11 games and the division in those 2 yrs. The organization will look better and the front office stable with success. At that point this team would be able to take off.

Completely agree. Get mcnabb or kolb and we are good. They are both accurate and mobile and we need both. Both troy and alex werent accurate....esp troy. How do you complete far less than 50 percent of your passes in games against bad defenses. You cant fix accuracy problems that easily. We need to trade a second for kolb because he is better than most second round qbs and alot of first rounders as of late. Or mcbabb and we will pay a lot for him but he is a good vet who takes care of the ball. If we had that this year we would of been at least 9 - 7. We need to draft a cb in the first. The de olbs are npt a lock but the top 2 cbs seem to be a safe bet

I'm sorry, but McNabb and Kolb are not considered "accurate" passers, they both have big arms and are capable of making plays. McNabb is not that mobile anymore. I wouldn't mind either of those guys, but if we have to overpay for them, I'd rather stick with Troy and sign Orton, and spend our money somewhere else.
I am surprised there is not much mention, if any, for Vince Young, who in 2005 owned the Rose bowl. With a new coach, a new start, he could be terrific.

The other point is , our QB is not a problem is harbaugh is signed, because of all the things he does well, coaching up Qbs is his forte. I don't think it matters who is qb if we sign harbaugh, because he can make anybody look great. Vince young remains intriguing to me and it is hard to believe they just dropped him. Wow. I would take a flyer on vince in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I am surprised there is not much mention, if any, for Vince Young, who in 2005 owned the Rose bowl. With a new coach, a new start, he could be terrific.

The other point is , our QB is not a problem is harbaugh is signed, because of all the things he does well, coaching up Qbs is his forte. I don't think it matters who is qb if we sign harbaugh, because he can make anybody look great. Vince young remains intriguing to me and it is hard to believe they just dropped him. Wow. I would take a flyer on vince in a heartbeat.

I think it's because people are just scared of the drama that comes with him. If he wouldn't have those issues, he would be a perfect fit for us, but at the same time I don't think Titans would've let him go.
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
We don't need a great QB. We need a capable QB. Great QB's are made with solid coaching, solid play calling, a strong offensive line, an above average RB and a solid set of receivers to catch the ball. I believe we almost have all of those. Our offensive line (barring any injuries) will be very strong next year. We have one of the best TEs in the league. Crabtree and Morgan have potential to be a very good 1-2. And although Frank is getting older, he still has it. We need the coaching, play calling, and a capable QB.

Side note regarding our offensive line:

Although we didn't have very many huge offensive plays, it seemed like we had even less holding penalties. I could be waaay off on this, but with a young and inexperienced (Davis and Iupati) offensive line, i was expecting a lot of holding penalties this year. any thoughts?
We are all agreed we need someone "good" to start and play until a rookie is ready to play. I think we are all also in agreement we don't want to make the same mistake with a new rookie that we made with Alex Smith by starting him before he is ready to play.

So, from the list I posted earlier, who would you choose and what would you give up to get them?

Also note, any draft pick you give up is another need that will not be filled.

I know i am going to be given hell for this, but i would not mind seeing Alex back. And yes, i can make all of the Alexcuses in the book. He never had consistent coaching, he never had an offensive HC, he was thrown under the bus by nowin and dingleberry, blah blah blah. If he goes to another team so be it. But if no one else wants him (which i guess is a red flag right there), we should sign him to a one year deal. And if Harbaugh is our coach, maybe he can QB Guru his a$$ into shape. The pickens seem mighty slim out there for a QB right now.
The bolded is the big issue, but I would like to stay away from another Alex discussion in this thread.

So do you have a preference from the other available remedies?

You are absolutely right. Alex need not apply in this thread. My bad. If harbaugh is our coah, I would like so see the niners make a play for josh johnson, bucs backup. He is familiar with harbaughs system, harbaugh really liked him, and I don't think we would have to give up a lot. Maybe a 4th rounder. Freeman looks like the franchise over there. If harbaugh is not our coach, then I have no clue.

I don't understand how you want to have a sincere discussion about next year's qb without at least entertaining the idea of Alex for one more season. It's very realistic. I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea in this post...but it is a reasonable one. Sure there's enough other threads on Alex, but let's face it, he's one of the best available and he's familiar with the other players on offense.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 139
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Possible Nate Davis with a real coach guiding him. I'm just not sold on Kolb being the only option.

Nate Davis over Kolb? WOW! hahahha wow!
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I am surprised there is not much mention, if any, for Vince Young, who in 2005 owned the Rose bowl. With a new coach, a new start, he could be terrific.

The other point is , our QB is not a problem is harbaugh is signed, because of all the things he does well, coaching up Qbs is his forte. I don't think it matters who is qb if we sign harbaugh, because he can make anybody look great. Vince young remains intriguing to me and it is hard to believe they just dropped him. Wow. I would take a flyer on vince in a heartbeat.

I think it's because people are just scared of the drama that comes with him. If he wouldn't have those issues, he would be a perfect fit for us, but at the same time I don't think Titans would've let him go.

I still think it would be worth taking him, despite all of his issues. I mean, Vick had ISSUES and I was in favor of the 9ers taking a shot with him as well. He's turning out all right.

My list of choices for QB:

1. Vince Young + Draft QB

2. Josh Johnson + sign either of the Smiths (or Boller) to back him up

3. Kyle Orton + Draft QB (this would cost the 9ers a 3rd round pick most likely)

4. McNabb + Draft QB

5. Kolb (this would cost the 9ers a 1st round pick most likely)

I'm not sold on Kolb. I really think Vince Young is a winner. And if we sign Harbaugh then Josh Johnson probably has the most upside of any QB out there. He's young though so trading for him would be the equivalent of drafting a QB. Which is why we'd need an experienced back up. Paging Shaun Hill?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
We don't need a great QB. We need a capable QB. Great QB's are made with solid coaching, solid play calling, a strong offensive line, an above average RB and a solid set of receivers to catch the ball. I believe we almost have all of those. Our offensive line (barring any injuries) will be very strong next year. We have one of the best TEs in the league. Crabtree and Morgan have potential to be a very good 1-2. And although Frank is getting older, he still has it. We need the coaching, play calling, and a capable QB.

Side note regarding our offensive line:

Although we didn't have very many huge offensive plays, it seemed like we had even less holding penalties. I could be waaay off on this, but with a young and inexperienced (Davis and Iupati) offensive line, i was expecting a lot of holding penalties this year. any thoughts?
We are all agreed we need someone "good" to start and play until a rookie is ready to play. I think we are all also in agreement we don't want to make the same mistake with a new rookie that we made with Alex Smith by starting him before he is ready to play.

So, from the list I posted earlier, who would you choose and what would you give up to get them?

Also note, any draft pick you give up is another need that will not be filled.

I know i am going to be given hell for this, but i would not mind seeing Alex back. And yes, i can make all of the Alexcuses in the book. He never had consistent coaching, he never had an offensive HC, he was thrown under the bus by nowin and dingleberry, blah blah blah. If he goes to another team so be it. But if no one else wants him (which i guess is a red flag right there), we should sign him to a one year deal. And if Harbaugh is our coach, maybe he can QB Guru his a$$ into shape. The pickens seem mighty slim out there for a QB right now.
The bolded is the big issue, but I would like to stay away from another Alex discussion in this thread.

So do you have a preference from the other available remedies?

You are absolutely right. Alex need not apply in this thread. My bad. If harbaugh is our coah, I would like so see the niners make a play for josh johnson, bucs backup. He is familiar with harbaughs system, harbaugh really liked him, and I don't think we would have to give up a lot. Maybe a 4th rounder. Freeman looks like the franchise over there. If harbaugh is not our coach, then I have no clue.

I don't understand how you want to have a sincere discussion about next year's qb without at least entertaining the idea of Alex for one more season. It's very realistic. I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea in this post...but it is a reasonable one. Sure there's enough other threads on Alex, but let's face it, he's one of the best available and he's familiar with the other players on offense.

He already said he's done with the Niners and not coming back. I believe he's gonna be a starter or at least compete for the starting job somewhere else. He won't fit the west coast offense, he's way to inaccurate for it. He needs a system like Norv Turners to have any success.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I am surprised there is not much mention, if any, for Vince Young, who in 2005 owned the Rose bowl. With a new coach, a new start, he could be terrific.

The other point is , our QB is not a problem is harbaugh is signed, because of all the things he does well, coaching up Qbs is his forte. I don't think it matters who is qb if we sign harbaugh, because he can make anybody look great. Vince young remains intriguing to me and it is hard to believe they just dropped him. Wow. I would take a flyer on vince in a heartbeat.

Vince young = head case. If he could not work with jeff fisher, who by all accounts is a stand up guy and the longest tenured hc in the league, he will not work with a rookie hc. I applaud the titans for selecting there hc over some immature qb. Now if only the niners had kept a coach around say about 8 years ago...
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 139
If they decide on going with Newton, then bring McNabb in too. Atleast McNabb can help with Newton. He & Kolb worked good together. Orton would be probably the best option. But like someone said earlier, it all depends on the Coach we get.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Don't want Kolb - seems to get injured an awful lot.


can you list how many and exactly what injuries he suffered this year ?

Week 1 concussion. Week 4 Chest injury. - Seems like there was 1 more, but UTL>
I think the Bengals will be shopping Carson palmer. Also Haselback will be looking for a Job.
McNaab is always mentioned. His time at Washington is embarrassing and he would not be useful here at all unless he dedicated himself to getting into good physical and mental condition. He might want to do that for the chance to be a hero for a couple of years, to take a sorry team to the playoffs and go out on top.

Or, he might just want to be fat and mentally and physically lazy and get paid anyway.

I'll bet an old Garcia would be more effective than a checked-out McNaab.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I believe as of right now, it would be David Carr, since he is the only QB signed for next year... I am curious if the new HC would want to keep Troy around while a rookie sits for a while...



Dude Harbaugh will go to Santa Clara and punch David Carr right in the face. Alex too, if he's still lingering around.