LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Possible Nate Davis with a real coach guiding him. I'm just not sold on Kolb being the only option.

The same Nate Davis that was the only PS player to not receive an offer from the Niners?
  • dj43
Here is a listing of who might be available either by FA or trade.

First, in another thread, someone suggested we look at other teams who have solid starters and consider their backups as someone who might be available. Here is that list:

CLUB PLAYER AGE CAREER RATING
Atlanta - Chris Redman 33 79
Baltimore - Marc Bulger just signed
Chicago - Caleb Hanie 25 39 todd collins has been released
Cleveland - S Wallace 30 83
Dallas - Jon Kitna 38 77
Detroit - Drew Stanton 26 63
Houston - Dan Orlovsky 27 71
Indy - Curtis Painter 25 has thrown only 3 passes in pro career
Jax - Todd Bowman 38 74
NE - Brian Hoyer 25 77
KC - Brody Croyle 27 67
NYG - Sage Rosenfels 32 81
NYJ - Kellen Clemens 27 59 Brunnell is actually listed #2 but....
Phil - Kevin Kolb 26 73
Steelers - B. Leftwich listed but Dennis Dixon is on IR 25 71
Chargers - Billy Volek 34 84
TB - Josh Johnson 24 56

None of the above are UFA, hence a trade for any of them would have to be made after the new CBA is signed. That is rumored to be May 1 or later. If so, the new QB would miss all of OTAs, if there are any, as well as spring mini-camps. Not the end of the world but not an ideal situation either.

It is noteworthy that only 18 of the 32 teams would be considered satisfied with their starting QB situation and a couple of those, Jacksonville and Detroit, are not really happy with their starter. There is also a lot of dissatisfaction in the Jets camp as well but I included them in the list anyway. All the others are in about the same situation as SF.

Here is a list of UFA QBs as of today on NFL.com
Charlie Batch
Kyle Boller
Daunte Culpepper
AJ Feeley
Rex Grossman
JP Lofman
Chad Pennington - has said he will likely retire than risk more injury to his shoulder.
Patrick Ramsey
Chris Simms
Jim Sorgi

Date on which UFAs may sign with a new team = March 5.

RFAs
Kyle Orton
Jason Campbell
Bruce Gradkowsky
Matt Moore

So there we are. Get out your crystal ball and see who is the gem that will be leading the San Francisco 49ers to glory until a rookie gets ready to play.
  • dj43
Originally posted by niners_guy:
Luck...

See here

Given his announced decision to get his degree before going pro, there is ZERO chance of going supplemental. He won't graduate until spring 2012.
Orton, Kolbe, Matt More, or some other Vet, backed up by "With the seventh pick in 2011 NFL Draft the san Francisco Forty Niners select....." the best available QB!
  • dj43
Possible Nate Davis with a real coach guiding him. I'm just not sold on Kolb being the only option.

Are you aware he was not offered a contract for next season? In effect, he has been released. Baalke is no longer interested in keeping him around.
Originally posted by dj43:

Are you aware he was not offered a contract for next season? In effect, he has been released. Baalke is no longer interested in keeping him around.

I didn't know. Sorry. Then I don't have any F'n idea.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:

I didn't know. Sorry. Then I don't have any F'n idea.
You stated the crux of the problem. If Alex leaves, and that seems almost a certainty, there is only the list I posted above of possible QBs who could lead the team. I don't have any idea either who would really do the job.
First you hire the head coach...then he and Baalke worry about the QB. The idea of Troy Smith starting 'til a rookie's ready doesn't bode well with me. He's just too erratic...knowing the complete offense might help some, but it won't correct his accuracy issues. No, the answer is to hopefully find a young veteran...maybe with 3-4 years in the league. Kolb would be ideal, but with Vick taking so much punishment, and assuming he re-signs with Philly, Reid may want to hang onto KK. I think Orton could be had...Denver's pretty much committed to Tebow now. As for the draft, with Luck out of the picture, it's pure conjecture for the rest. Mallett's kind of erratic...he should've been the one to stay at Arkansas. Locker's also been up & down quite a bit. This isn't a QB-rich draft, especially now that Luck's staying at Stanford.
FREE NATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Lott.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I believe as of right now, it would be David Carr, since he is the only QB signed for next year... I am curious if the new HC would want to keep Troy around while a rookie sits for a while...

Troy is years better than Carr

Alex Smth.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Lets nab McNabb!
I think it's going to be Troy until we get a Draft pick up to speed...
If I am going to spend a high draft pick on a trade it would have to be for Kolb, although it would be simply based on potential.
A low draft pick for trade I would go with Sage Rosenfels, he showed some glimpses a couple of years ago, certainly it would mean a QB gets drafted.
If I am going with players released I would go with Orton, although I don't think he will be released, if not mistaken he signed a two year contract.
Also, no CBA means no free agency.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Hypothetical question here....

So say we sign Harbaugh. Do you think the niners would look into making a trade with the bucs for there backup QB Josh Johnson. I don't know too much about the guy, other then Harbaugh coached him at San Diego (State?). So he would be familiar with the system. Also, he would be getting the coach from stanford and a QB from tampa bay. Anyone come to mind?? Anyways, I wonder if that would be a possibility.

I know NOTHING about Josh Johnson except Wikipedia and his NFL.com stats. I just know he's an athletic QB that was drafted in the 5th round. Sounds like he's considered a developmental QB being groomed for a backup--similar to Nate Davis.

I'm sure we can get him for a low-round draft pick. If Harbaugh wanted him, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. He has very nice Combine numbers, and Harbaugh is considered a QB guru.

Quote:
Johnson did receive pro-style training from longtime NFL QB Jim Harbaugh, his coach for three years at USD. Harbaugh lauds Johnson's leadership and his ability to process information at broadband speed. "We ran a version of the West Coast offense, and a lot of our plays were 15 or 16 words," says Harbaugh, now at Stanford. "By the time I would get to word seven or eight, he would finish the play call. He's very quick-minded, and he makes good decisions." He also wins. Johnson was 30-4 as a starter and helped the West to a 31-13 victory in January's Shrine Game, running for 91 yards and passing for 78 and a TD to earn MVP honors. The buzz subsided when Johnson struggled at the combine. He ran the fastest 40-yard dash by a QB that day (4.53) but afterward experienced back spasms that limited his ability to bend his knees and step into his throws, causing his deep passes to flutter. He was sharper two weeks later at his pro day, though a couple of his longer heaves still wobbled. "I'm not saying he doesn't have ability," says another scout, "but he's going to need time. He's not instant coffee."

Johnson, a projected mid-rounder, has worked out for the Jets, Bucs, Patriots, Falcons and Chiefs, with more teams to come. "The scouts know," he says. "They look at things on film like how I anticipate, how I read. That defines what a quarterback is. Everybody has to adjust in the NFL, but I know what I can do."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jim_trotter/04/08/johnson0414/
Share 49ersWebzone