There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

The headline says it all. We are all concerned about HC next year (as we should be), but it wont mean crap if we don't find a quality QB? so are we looking draft or free agency? Just please NO VINCE YOUNG!!!!
Brandon Doman
Is Philly gonna keep Kolb as backup for $11 million per year? I think he would be our best bet. What would it take? Is Vick 100% staying in Philly?

Orton maybe?
Depends on who the coach is.

A Harbaugh, Billick, Mornhinweg, etc. will all try to find that protypical West Coast Offense QB-- a guy with accuracy, mobility, and quick decision-making skills.

The bigger question is who we can find in free agency. I don't know who's available, but for sure... we're definitely going to draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round.

I think the team likes Troy Smith and are willing to give him one offseason for him to learn the offense and compete for the job.

I feel comfortable drafting a guy and having Troy Smith be the starter until the guy is ready. Troy Smith has natural abilities, but was limited in his knowledge of the offense.

It would be even BETTER if we can bring in Kolb or Orton, but it's uncertain what's going to happen to those two play

[ Edited by Wubbie on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:12:04 ]
Luck...

See here
Hypothetical question here....

So say we sign Harbaugh. Do you think the niners would look into making a trade with the bucs for there backup QB Josh Johnson? I don't know too much about the guy, other then Harbaugh coached him at San Diego (State?). So he would be familiar with the system. Also, we would be getting the coach from stanford and a QB from tampa bay. Anyone come to mind?? Anyways, I wonder if that would be a possibility.

[ Edited by AyYoJoey on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:24:31 ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Is Philly gonna keep Kolb as backup for $11 million per year? I think he would be our best bet. What would it take? Is Vick 100% staying in Philly?

Orton maybe?

Quote:
4/29/2010: Signed a two-year, $12.25 million contract. The deal, fully guaranteed, included a $10.7 million signing bonus. 2010: $715,000, 2011: $1.392 million, 2012: Free Agent
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:

So say we sign Harbaugh. Do you think the niners would look into making a trade with the bucs for there backup QB Josh Johnson. I don't know too much about the guy, other then Harbaugh coached him at San Diego (State?). So he would be familiar with the system. Also, he would be getting the coach from stanford and a QB from tampa bay. Anyone come to mind?? Anyways, I wonder if that would be a possibility.

Yes, I hope we do if we sign Harbaugh. Johnson only performed slightly worse than Freeman in 2009, both their rookie years, and we all saw how Freeman exploded this year. It's an interesting gamble if the Bucs' price isn't unreasonable.
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:

So say we sign Harbaugh. Do you think the niners would look into making a trade with the bucs for there backup QB Josh Johnson. I don't know too much about the guy, other then Harbaugh coached him at San Diego (State?). So he would be familiar with the system. Also, he would be getting the coach from stanford and a QB from tampa bay. Anyone come to mind?? Anyways, I wonder if that would be a possibility.

I know NOTHING about Josh Johnson except Wikipedia and his NFL.com stats. I just know he's an athletic QB that was drafted in the 5th round. Sounds like he's considered a developmental QB being groomed for a backup--similar to Nate Davis.

I'm sure we can get him for a low-round draft pick. If Harbaugh wanted him, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. He has very nice Combine numbers, and Harbaugh is considered a QB guru.
I believe as of right now, it would be David Carr, since he is the only QB signed for next year... I am curious if the new HC would want to keep Troy around while a rookie sits for a while...
Before we go after Kolb and potentially get into a bidding war with the Cards and Vikes, what is our plan for him? Is he supposed to be a potential franchise QB, or just a caretaker while we groom our rookie for a couple seasons?

I personally don't think Kolb is franchise material and, subsequently, I think we'd be wise to avoid being sucked into a bidding war over him. Reasonable men can certainly disagree over this point, but I'd rather husband our draft picks. Our new HC and coordinators will need them to shape the team to their strengths.

Frankly, I think we can get away with Troy Smith as the caretaker for a season or two, but really it comes down to the success of this year's draft.

Last, the lockout is the wildcard in all of this. If 2011 doesn't happen, the 2012 free agency class will be well worth looking at for free agency QBs.
Don't want Kolb - seems to get injured an awful lot.

Maybe a decent FA to work for a year or so while a rookie gets some opportunity to grow into the offense.

Would have to be somebody who can make decent reads, have pocket presence and enough mobility to keep a play alive. Accuracy over arm strength (JaMarcus need not apply).

Not sure what the final tally will be on who's going to be available yet - I think that much will depend on the terms of a new CBA and teams making cuts as a result (Donovan?)
Possible Nate Davis with a real coach guiding him. I'm just not sold on Kolb being the only option.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Don't want Kolb - seems to get injured an awful lot.

can you list how many and exactly what injuries he suffered this year ?