There are 180 users in the forums

Is anyone else excited about our OLine next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by darekster:
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
i will be excited if we replace RG Chilo Rachel.
but i understand where your excitement is coming from the O-line should be strong next season and finally wont be the reason we're losing games.
LT-Joe Staley(decent LT maybe will swap with A. Davis in a season or two)
LG-Mike Iupati(a beast of a lineman)
C-Eric Heitman or David Baas (to be replaced in the next year or two..
decent for now)
RG- Chilo Rachel(hopefully repaced this offseason by a vet or beat out by a rookie in camp)
RT-Anthony Davis(if his pass protection skills inprove well enough swap Staley)

i hope ^^

Wil the Niners have enough good linemen because Harbaugh ran a lot of plays with 6 or more O-linemen?

i believe that Harbaugh will bring in the necessary players for what he wants to run offensively. if not this season than he will build on what he wants every year. seeing as O-line is viewed by many as the catalyst of success for an offense i see him addreassing that first.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Upgrading Center and Right Guard need to be an absolute priority. Free rushers up the middle between C and RG were a critical issue all season.

We can't go into the season next year expecting the same group to become great. We were something like 5th to last in the league in number of sacks allowed. You don't keep doing something that's doing so poorly. We must address our weaknesses, and center and right guard are those weaknesses.

I'm excited if we draft/sign a C and/or G.

Really? I thought Baas did a decent job at C. Thought Snyder looked better Chilo which is scary

THIS to both of these!

Hey on the clock, I think you need to go back and watch the games again. Baas did pretty good
[ Edited by kezar49er on Jan 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM ]
no not really...still have chilo...baas is a bonehead...there are some attractive free agents coming on the market...we'll see when and if there's a free agent period this offseason
I would not be suprised to see Harbaugh shuffle the OL around. The only "locks" I see are Baas/Heitmann at C, and Iupati and LG. The other 3 spots are really up for grabs.

LT - Staley - good, but not quite where we need him to be
RG - Chilo - this will very likely change with a FA, draft, or swap (wragge, baas, snyder)
RT - Davis - still very raw, but I feel a good scheme could play to his strengths. Does he get moved to the left side? only time will tell

Harbaugh has to see our OL as a weakness, therefore something needs to be changed...
Could we see Wragge start if we go more of a power game?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I would not be suprised to see Harbaugh shuffle the OL around. The only "locks" I see are Baas/Heitmann at C, and Iupati and LG. The other 3 spots are really up for grabs.

RG - Chilo - this will very likely change with a FA, draft, or swap (wragge, baas, snyder)
RT - Davis - still very raw, but I feel a good scheme could play to his strengths. Does he get moved to the left side? only time will tell

Harbaugh has to see our OL as a weakness, therefore something needs to be changed...

I doubt he does anything to our line. We have 2nd rd talent or higher across the whole line. Maybe swith Staley and Davis but i doubt anything drastic will happen like some are expecting.
One of the things Harbaugh said at the presser was where upgrades were needed, they'd be made. He fully understands how the OL needs to function in his WCO...so it wouldn't surprise me to see some changes. RG, for sure, we'll see about the other positions.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
LG-Mike Iupati(a beast of a lineman)

Why Davis was rated higher than the awesome, throwin Samoan is beyond me.

He wasn't Lupati was #1 at his position, by most accounts Davit was #5 at his. I think davis will probably become a decent to good o-lineman, but we should have taken bulaga. We wouldn't have had to trade up, and he performed much better. Apparantly the thought was Davis had a greater ceiling. I sure hope so.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I'm excited about finding a replacement for the RG!!!

I hopenwe go after carl nicks from NO.
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I'm excited about finding a replacement for the RG!!!

I hopenwe go after carl nicks from NO.

Me too! We should already have him but we lost that 5th round pick in the Bears tampering case (Nicks would have been there when we were supposed to pick in the 5th and the 9ers were said to be high on him).

• JDog
  • Veteran
LT - Staley
LG - Iupati
C- Heitman / Bass
RG - Anthony Davis
RT - Alex Boone

Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Most importantly, no more Sing to the O-line coach "great job, just focus on run-blocking a bit more".

It will be extremely exciting to see how good this line is when they are given a rational offense. We will see, I think, that much of the criticism of the line should have been directed at the pitiful offensive scheme that simply made it nearly impossible to succeed.
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

I doubt he does anything to our line. We have 2nd rd talent or higher across the whole line. Maybe swith Staley and Davis but i doubt anything drastic will happen like some are expecting.

this

Harbaugh came here knowing he is very close across the board on both sides of the ball. I see minimal changes to the OL/WR/RB group and no changes at TE. QB and RG on O and a edge passrusher and a CB or 2 will be the major changes.
LT Staley
LG Iupati
C Baas
RG Mankins or Gallery, Carl Nicks Saints
RT A Davis

This would give our qb time to throw the ball and RB's lanes to run Raiders top 5 in rushing last yr prefer Gallery younger than Mankins but wouldn't compain with either. Carl Nicks is from Salinas
i was excited about our oline this year. so no.
Share 49ersWebzone