LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

If we are smart and do get Harbaugh we should......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think only Clements has a significant cap number, and it is safe to say that he won't be back unless he reduces his pay significantly. For the rest, I don't think they are being paid outrageous amounts of money, so I see no reason to not let them compete for their jobs in training camp, and cut them if they don't succeed in winning at least a backup role.

On the subject of Norris, I don't understand why a full back is even on the team any more. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have an extra tight end, and when you need a back in the I formation, have the tight end line up there? A tight end would worry me a lot more as a defensive coordinator than a full back, to be honest.
AB is actually Paraag Marathe!!!
Get Vince Young/Donavan McNab or trade our whole draft for Andrew Luck
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
Sndyer is WAY better at RG than Rachal, cannot believe Sing left Chilo in there all year, speaks to his eye for talent.

Chilo is one of the worst Guards in all of football, starting or not.

I always LOL when I see him celebrating every single offensive TD as if he was a big reason for the score.

I wanted Wragge or Snyder to play RG for us from the middle of the season on.

Wonder if we would be in the playoffs if Tomula became interim coach and mid point of the year?

If Tomsula knows how to game plan AT ALL and didn't force Mike Johnson to run a prehistoric offense, then yes, I'm sure we'd be in the playoffs with an 8-8 record.
get rid of sopoaga
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Get Vince Young/Donavan McNab or trade our whole draft for Andrew Luck

no, no, and stop talking about luck it wont happen
TRADE UP 4 LUCK.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Get rid of some players now with the fact there is no cap.

namely, Snyder, Norris, Haralson and maybe Clements.

by doing so we rid there salaries for 2011.

and mold Alex Smith in the WCO similar to Aaron Rodgers
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by ninertico:

You know AB, I am sooooooo happy you are part of this Zone. You do so much. The thing is, I know how much you love doing it, right? This is exciting and something we as a fan base have been longing for...a chance to get back to Bill Walsh

Period.

You da man!!!!

you know Tico, Im just happier than anything to do this for the niner faithful.

So, I thank you and everyone for making me what I am, so thanks and thanks to everyone.

You're welcome.

• GEEK
  • Veteran

Haralson I can understand, but Snyder and Norris are signed through the 2011 season. So even if we did keep them, they'd be UFAs at the end of the next season.

Norris should be cut, but Snyder is good depth...and Rachal could get traded/cut.

no need to worry. we wont get harbaugh. Lets see ross with miami and the michigan ties and the bond they share or jeb clueless mommys boy york that probably had no clue how to conduct himself in the meeting today. Probably offered a stake in the niners and pleaded him to join this rudderless ship. So let me see we have miami with an established and powerful ownership group, a great location, 7-8 million a year and a team that actually has talent and at least a qb, abeit not a good one in henne that beats out anything we have. Id say that equals see ya later, bye bye. NINERS YOUVE BEEN PLAYED. JUST LIKE 2 YEARS AGO
Isn't there a players union or something that would protest any team doin this??

If it were allowed, teams would be dumping players left and right just to avoid paying players that have fallen from grace.

Not sure about the business side of the NFL...but if there's a players union than there's No way this would ever happen. but i dunno

and mold Alex Smith in the WCO similar to Aaron Rodgers
('');

[ Edited by The_Plumber on Jan 5, 2011 at 21:50:22 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Isn't there a players union or something that would protest any team doin this??

If it were allowed, teams would be dumping players left and right just to avoid paying players that have fallen from grace.

Not sure about the business side of the NFL...but if there's a players union than there's No way this would ever happen. but i dunno

Contracts have multiple aspects to them: signing bonus, base salaries, and incentives as the main ones.

If a team cuts a player, they are still on the hook for the remaining signing bonus - regardless of the CBA situation. The differences with this year's CBA and the one before this season is the salary cap application and "dead money" rules.

Even having dead money on the books won't impact a team because there is no salary cap. It won't hinder them to sign more players. If there was a salary cap, the dead money would occupy part of the allowed dollar value in the salary cap - this is the reason why we were in salary cap hell in the last decade.

And I don't know this for sure, but the previous CBA states that the signing bonus money would be allocated evenly for the remainder of the contract years, and that amount and # of years would be applied to a team's salary cap. For example, if we cut a player that had 3 years, and 6M in bonus money, we would have dead money in the amount of 2M each year for 3 years.

Under the current CBA, I believe this term is different, and teams can accelerate the impact of dead money in only two years regardless of how many years/dollars are on the contract before the player gets cut.
So now we find out we are too cheap to get Harbaugh and we got Trent Baalke from down the hall on a "league wide leave no stone unturned search"....

Plus at #7 zero chance for Luck.

Great offseason so far.
Share 49ersWebzone