LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

Why do people keep wanting our coodinators?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I don't get it. Even when we suck, if we have even one guy on the staff who is half competent, he immediately gets targeted for a HC job.

Now it's Manusky. The only half decent coach we have. (Not that he'll necessarily be around with a new HC anyway.)

But I just don't understand how coaches who, at best, make us mediocre, are suddenly HC targets.

Are we so bad that around the league, if you can even make us look even no so terrible you must be a genius?

I don't get it.

Probably because unlike us, the fickle 49er fanbase, other teams are capable of looking at what's called "the big picture."

Not that you said so, but I don't believe Manusky is a bad coordinator at all.

In fact I think he's a very good one. He's been limited in the respect that it took us forever to get him a 3-4 nose tackle (Franklin just became good out of nowhere), and he's made our defense somewhat respectable despite us deciding that we don't have much use for pass rushing OLB's.

Much like McCarthy, the on field product isn't representative of his coaching ability.

So while I think it's unlikely he gets a HC gig this year, I'll say he will be in three tops.
Manusky Sucks! HE Plays Zone on Every down. The D Cost Us at least 3 games. And he never benched Parys Haralson
Originally posted by YorkHater:
Manusky Sucks! HE Plays Zone on Every down. The D Cost Us at least 3 games. And he never benched Parys Haralson

I think that was sing... I don't remember seeing haralson start the final game it looks as if brooks and lawson were the starters!
Originally posted by Redeemer:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

I like Manusky and think he deserves a shot at HC. His resume isn't bad and
our overall defensive rank (13th I think) could have been a lot higher if we had at least a top 15-20 defense.

He meant top 15-20 offense.

I think he meant talent-wise. Implying that with our talent on defense, we should have been lower than 21st overall, but if we actually had a top 15-20 defense talent-wise, we would have ranked even better than we did. In other words, Manusky did more than he should have with limited talent.

I agree with none of it, however. Manusky's defense was atrocious when it counted because he refused to apply pressure. Like I've said before, though, I don't know if that was Manusky's doing or if Singletary forced him to be that way.

I don't know? They can have our coordinators. They aren't any good anyway.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 5, 2011 at 14:54:29 ]
Because they know they can't do any worse than when they were with us!
Manusky, MacCarthy, and Norv were pursued but how many others went to NFL heaven? Norv was very successful as an OC previously, Manusky is respected for developing our D (very good until this year-injuries?) and MacCarthy surprised me.

In order to win in the NFL a team has to come together in all aspects. The 9ers always seem to be deficient in one or many areas even if they have talent. Remember when Nolan came in and the special teams looked so good but the O and D were not? Now with a maturing QB, great RB and improving recieving corp, the Oline becomes a youthfest. How many whiffs did our young linemen have per game? But that is to be expected with rookies so we should have expected it. Was our FO limited in multitasking? Always fixating on last years problems but unable to see the new ones? Couldn't they see that starting two rookies on the Oline might be a problem?

I do not kow what to think of the recievers. Even Morgan became short armed toward the end of the season. Crabtree seemed intent on dropping, tipping or just not fighting for the ball. It seems to me that he did not fear being benched. Why? Was he a Singletary favorite? Don't see that but who knows. VD improved and grew up but he couldn't get through to Crabtree. Remember the fight in training camp?

We need coaches who are respected by the players, not just loved. And all the coaches need to work together--I suspect that has not happened on this team for a long time. Martz wasn't my favorite but he certainly took over his area and pressed the players to earn their time on the field.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 5, 2011 at 15:13:08 ]
I'm not saying Manusky (or any other recent coordinator) is good, bad or otherwise.

This isn't about whether we should have kept them or not, or if they were good enough or not even.

It's just that our team, front office, coaches, etc.. have all been pretty terrible at worst and kind of ok, maybe promising looking, at best over the past 6-8 years or so.

And regardless, if we even so much of a GLIMMER of hope, with one of our O/D Coordinators having a decent to good year, the immediately get hired away as a HC.

I've never seen anything like it. Regardless of if they are good moves, by us or the other team. Or if there was anything that could have been done to prevent it, I just don't get it.

It at worst, has cost us any chance of consistency, which may have really affected our ability to evolve and have some kind of coherent successful team, and at worst, may mean we have had the best coaching options under our nose, and completely misused/under-appreciated them, and could have built a contender if we just put the right people in charge.

Again, this isn't about Manusky. He was likely gone anyway. The new HC, Harbaugh or anyone else, would probably bring in their own person.

But why do other teams keep pillaging our coordinators when they seem average at best here?

Are we blind? Do they just want to screw us over? Are they blinded by some SF 49er "aura"? Is making us even half decent a sign of brilliance that we can't recognize?

I just don't get it.
the better question is why they do good when they leave here.
supposedly the Patriots, Saints and Colts want Jimmy Rae for offensive coordinator in 2011.

If Manusky goes, then they should promote Tomsula to Def Coord. He'd do a good job, and hopefully would pull the reins on the secondary.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Honestly IMHO, this is my 2 cents.

Yeah we are all f**ked up now. But i think because of our success in the past it's like people that want to get in the entertainment business. In my experience they say if u can make it in NY city then u can make it anywhere.

Although our franchise is in the crapper right now. The ora that surrounds our team is still strong in my opinion. Even in us sucking this year, we made the news. Whether we win or lose u hear about our team constantly. And u cant say that about every other organization.

I mean look at the track records. There have been too many players to count that at some point have dawned an 9er uniform. Or been some part. I mean Holmgren, Gruden, tons of others. With players, Montana, Rice, Young, T.O. just to name a few, that when they went to other teams they were hot commodities.

Even take now, s**t i was pissed when we got s**t out of TBCain, and then he goes back to the Pats, and started having almost pro-bowl type years. I think the ora surrounding our team now is that we can get the coaches and players that are special and can really be something. We just dont have the co-hesiveness to put it all together for a championship.

So i think thats why soo many of our players and coaches whether we have success or not, make it every where else. Because that team interviewing and signing our guys, know how to put each coach and player in the best position to be successful.

The only people who believe in the "aura of the 49ers" are us, the nostalgic fans.
We have been in the toilet for the last decade, and I imagine our front office maneuvering brings chuckles in the offices of the Steelers, Patriots, Colts etc.
Yes, they will admit there was a 20 year run where the Niners were the absolute cream of the crop, both on the field and in the offices, but not anymore.

I understand where you are coming from, but that doesn't answer the original question. Apparently other teams can see something in our team that we are unable to bring out ourselves, whether it be wit coordinators or players that have been signed by other teams (that we drafted and thought weren't any good). This leads me to believe even more that we are missing someone that can tie it all together and bring some stability to this franchise.
Originally posted by WoodenCrosses:
If Manusky goes, then they should promote Tomsula to Def Coord. He'd do a good job, and hopefully would pull the reins on the secondary.

Yes and Start TMays from the beginning
Hiring isn't based solely on a coaching candidate's track record. I suspect that personality and approach play a much larger role than we as fans would expect. Obviously, the guy's got to have had some success, but who the guy is and how he fits into the organization's existing culture are big considerations. Plus, mediocrity can be attributed to a lot of factors out of a coordinator's control. If you consider that Manusky coached a defense that had no pure pass rushing LB in a 3-4, inexperience at both safety spots and an offense ranked 24th in time of possession, but still managed to rank 16th in (opponents) ppg, 13th in ypg, and tie for 14th in sacks, he actually did a pretty respectable job.

[ Edited by gravelburn on Jan 5, 2011 at 15:54:26 ]
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
supposedly the Patriots, Saints and Colts want Jimmy Rae for offensive coordinator in 2011.

Seriously?
Link?

Share 49ersWebzone