LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Conspiracy Theory?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Does anyone really believe that Jed had any intention of hiring anyone but Baalke? To me it was a charade all along, which brings me to my topic. [I've got way too much time on my hands]

My gambler's sense is telling me the HC decision has already been made and we are just doing the dance. Since it is against the rules about contacting people on teams who are still in some contention or upcoming game - it's been kept quiet.

Harbaugh - HC and we morgage the farm to get Luck.

Any other theories.

everybody always says we are a HC and QB away so....whats the problem

The problem is this "everybody" you speak of is a moron.

The price to get Luck is going to be astronomical. Carolina is sitting there in a very nice position. More than one team is going to be making inquiries. If the Panthers do not get someone to pay a very steep price (Ditka-Ricky Williams/Minnesota-Herscal Walker come to mind) then they will just take the QB they need and probably be very happy.

Luck is as good a college QB as I have seen in a long time but if he doesn't turn out to be a Manning, Brady or closer to home a Montana or Young it might just be too steep a price to pay.

It is a very big gamble to hinge the future of the franchise (by giving up multiple draft picks) on a rookie QB. Problem is, with all the needs the Niners have, I just not sure the Niners should use that pick on a QB unless it is Luck (which would have to be packaged with many more picks and/or quality players to move up to #1). Not a great situation for the Niners. But with all the options Harbaugh has, I can't see him coming here unless there is some plan in place (and it would not be going with Troy Smith next year or expecting any rookie QB other than Luck to start on day 1) and I really believe Harbaugh is going to be the next Niner head coach. We will see. As always, it is going to be interesting.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
No conspiracy theory IMO just the easy way out. If we get Harbaugh, it means only one thing in relation to Andrew Luck. Harbaugh was the guy who groomed Luck and made him the #1 QB prospect in the space of two short years. Will they give up the Farm (......get it.......the Farm.........Stanford) to get Luck? Not a chance. The Niners have too many other needs (CB, Pass Rusher, WR) to do that. The Niners are betting that Harbaugh is the right guy to do it again with whomever they draft this year (Locker, Ponder, etc).

I was waiting or someone to point that out

Of the three (Baalke, Harbaugh, and Luck) the only guy that is a must have is Luck. Scouts are basically saying that AT WORST he's the next Matt Ryan. There is no guarantee that Harbaugh can groom another Luck, as all of the other QB prospects this year have some serious flaws that take them out of Luck's class. And there is no guarantee that Baalke can draft the "right" players at our other positions of need. So yeah, give me the closest thing to a sure thing at the most important position in all of sports.

Still planning on getting him with the #7 pick huh? Madden football is cool...

Amen, Reverend! First of all, Baalke is here to stay. No more choice there. Second, Harbaugh added to a new GM will be better because we need an offensive minded head coach. Third, NO WAY WE CAN LUCK with out giving up a ton of picks and mortgaging our team's future.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by English:
Why was it a charade? To arrive at this conclusion you have to believe that if they found a better candidate they still would not have taken him. As none of us were in the room for those interviews and phone calls, I guess it boils down to those who want to bash the team will read it one way and those who don't, another.

Yep!

Here is why:

The fact is Mindi Bach broke the story that Baalke would be the GM a day after Jed spoke.

Question: Does that mean he wasn't willing to interview people both to satisfy his concience and the fans? No.

However, if he already was set on Baalke (He trusts him and he is probably way cheaper) you have to ask if he went into the interviews with an open mind. That, no one can know, but Jed. But I think we can get an idea of what he was thinking (enter Lombardi)

Fact: Lombardi didn't seem to think Jed had an open mind and he was the very first to interview. If Lombardi thought that, but was the only one to actually get a second interview (1 out of 2 candidates) how do you think the other interviewees felt?

Very Possible: Jed didn't want to hire a big name GM ($$$$), because he wanted or knew he would spend major cheddar on Harbaugh.

Is what I'm saying really that unbelievable? I mean seriously.
I agree, the more I envision Harbaugh being with the team, the more I see the possibility that he will want to trade up to get his boy who will undoubtedly help him achieve his goal of turning our franchise around. I read somewhere that he wanted more control over signings and trades. This further bolsters my belief he will trade up to get Mr. LUCK
Jed did interview someone from a winning orginization.

[url=null]null[/url] http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/05/niners-quietly-interviewed-les-snead/

For all the people who like to make assuptions with out having all the information. This just goes to show that we all have no clue what is really going on. Eveybody wants to make accusations based on speculation but the truth is we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. So this was all a conspiracy huh like your gamblers' mind tells you? Can i gamble with you please? I need some money!
Here's my conspiracy!!!

Anybody wonder why Cleveland was never in the race for Harbaugh???? All the connections to Walsh, WCO, ect you'd think was right up Holmgren's ally.

I think Holmgren wanted Harbaugh to go to SF because either he wants them to succeed and maybe he's planning to make the FO switch with inside of a couple of years.

Bam, there it is. lol
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
whatever QB we draft, better have a strong arm and be at least 6'3".

If Harbaugh is signed, I'm sure they will make an offer to CAR but the price will be too high. I'm thinking they will settle on trading a 4th round pick to TB for Josh Johnson to come in and at least be a backup since he knows Harbaugh's system
Originally posted by ptw1:

If Harbaugh is signed, I'm sure they will make an offer to CAR but the price will be too high. I'm thinking they will settle on trading a 4th round pick to TB for Josh Johnson to come in and at least be a backup since he knows Harbaugh's system

That seems like a much more realistic scenerio.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by ptw1:

That seems like a much more realistic scenerio.

Which means it has no place in Niner Talk!

Does anyone really believe that Jed had any intention of hiring anyone but Baalke? To me it was a charade all along, which brings me to my topic. [I've got way too much time on my hands]

My gambler's sense is telling me the HC decision has already been made and we are just doing the dance. Since it is against the rules about contacting people on teams who are still in some contention or upcoming game - it's been kept quiet.

Any other theories.

My theory is that Jed believes Balke is the best GM for the 49ers.

Why?

1) Balke has done a good job as an interim GM. Making the title official won't change that.

2) Balke has an eye for talent. His draft and free-agent acquisitions have fit in and played well.

3) Balke already knows everybody on the roster and had a hand in picking them. This means there won't be a lot of player turnover to fit a different GM's philosophy.

4) Jed and Balke are on the same page. There are no questions about chemistry or how well they work together.

5) Balke is young and likely to stay with the team for many years if successful. Continuity is necessary to achieve and maintain success and build a lasting team identity.

Balke may not be the best GM candidate out there, but right now he is the best fit for the 49ers.

Originally posted by 9eridiot:

Any other theories.

Nope. That's it. Well done !

lol, all sounds bout right to me, lol, I mean for real, everything happened so quickly, I would take my time if I were York to find the people that I would actually want as my coach and my GM. I don't know why everything is a rush, I just wish we could put together something that would be really meaningful and to make something that is extremely special.
Share 49ersWebzone