LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Conspiracy Theory?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Does anyone really believe that Jed had any intention of hiring anyone but Baalke? To me it was a charade all along, which brings me to my topic. [I've got way too much time on my hands]

My gambler's sense is telling me the HC decision has already been made and we are just doing the dance. Since it is against the rules about contacting people on teams who are still in some contention or upcoming game - it's been kept quiet.

Harbaugh - HC and we morgage the farm to get Luck.

Any other theories.

everybody always says we are a HC and QB away so....whats the problem
Originally posted by excelsior:
Look at San Diego. Rivers is the second ranked QB in the league with a rating of 104. He is a "franchise QB." Yet the team did not make the playoffs.

In contrast, Sanchez of the Jets is 28th ranked with a 75 rating, but they are in the playoffs.

What is instructive here is that it is foolish to overlook the rest of the team. Trading the farm to get Luck would be a mistake because the draft choices given up to get him will leave unfilled holes in the roster. It will be those holes that will beat the team in various games and the fans will end up booing anyway.

I think you just made some people's head explode. Or at least some bleeding from the ears!
We'll wait, and see. Luck may be the hands down #1, but does that mean it'll translate into real success? Remember in Mooch's first year, he had the chance to reunite with his ol' QB Pat Barnes at Cal, and they went with Druck? A College QB may be able to demonstrate something while in college, but the pro game is an entirely different animal.
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Does anyone really believe that Jed had any intention of hiring anyone but Baalke? To me it was a charade all along, which brings me to my topic. [I've got way too much time on my hands]

My gambler's sense is telling me the HC decision has already been made and we are just doing the dance. Since it is against the rules about contacting people on teams who are still in some contention or upcoming game - it's been kept quiet.

Any other theories.

everybody always says we are a HC and QB away so....whats the problem

The problem is this "everybody" you speak of is a moron.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
im not for mortgaging the farm to get Luck.

Thank you for quickly stepping in as a voice of reason. I can always count on you for that... and for smart ass remarks.

If we get Harbaugh, what's the point in giving up anything for Luck? Harbaugh is the guy that taught him to football. Harbaugh can teach another quarterback to football.

I won't be angry if we make the move, though. I'll trust Harbaugh's judgment... he knows more about quarterbacks than all of us combined. That's pretty impressive considering it's obvious that I know everything.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Look at San Diego. Rivers is the second ranked QB in the league with a rating of 104. He is a "franchise QB." Yet the team did not make the playoffs.

In contrast, Sanchez of the Jets is 28th ranked with a 75 rating, but they are in the playoffs.

What is instructive here is that it is foolish to overlook the rest of the team. Trading the farm to get Luck would be a mistake because the draft choices given up to get him will leave unfilled holes in the roster. It will be those holes that will beat the team in various games and the fans will end up booing anyway.

I think you just made some people's head explode. Or at least some bleeding from the ears!

Yeah... I used this logic early in the season in the Alex Smith thread and everyone just shut up for hours. I swear I could hear gears grinding in the distance.

Holy special teams, Batman!
Look even if we sold the farm there is no guarentee the Panthers would take it. They need a QB badly.....yeah they have other needs. But if they had a legit QB they would be instantly ready to at least compete for a playoff spot. They have a decent WR core, a decent RB core. There oline is still solid, and there defense in all honesty isn't that bad. They just quit on their coach, and the fact they had such awful QB killed there season.

The Panthers really feel like he is a once in a life time at QB, and unless they decide to sign a Donovan as a hold over and take the draft picks, I see almost no way they would give up the 1st overall pick unless they were given an absurdly good offer.

The thing is that this is a good QB draft. Newton, Locker, and Mallet should all be available to us. Now I am incredibly high on Luck, but having one of those 3 would not be a problem for me at all.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
If we get Harbaugh, who cares HOW we go about it?

It was obvious to everyone they wanted Baalke to be GM, and it's obvious to everyone that Harbaugh is on the very top of our head coach list.

Let's get the Rooney Rule thing out of the way, and have Harbaugh in place by the end of the week. Then we can finally move on with our lives and start speculating how the draft will pan out. I can't wait!

This. If we land Harbaugh, then Jed York just beat out other GM/Owners to get the man we want. Props to Jed.

The chargers sure have a ton of holes with their top ranked offense and defense. Unless you mean their ST.

I think it's gotta coaching in SD. Norv

You're not convincing me on this. I don't like exceptional examples. That's like using the Trent Dilfer BAL Ravens Superbowl as a template for "success" and we all know that it rarely happens.

Give me a top 5 QB and you can have one of the 5 worst QB's in the league and let us see who makes the playoffs more in 10 years.

Trent Dilfer literally opened the doors for all of the crap QB's out there and coaches who know nothing about offense and turned this league into the parity it is now: a bunch of crap QB's with a bunch of defensive-minded teams trying to catch the teams with the great QB's lighting up the scoreboard.

no, but funny
after we get Harbaugh... they better start trying to look for a vet QB to sign or trade for someone while Mallat is in the wings to take over!!!

i'm not for trading our farm to get luck.
Originally posted by Joecool:

You're not convincing me on this. I don't like exceptional examples. That's like using the Trent Dilfer BAL Ravens Superbowl as a template for "success" and we all know that it rarely happens.

Give me a top 5 QB and you can have one of the 5 worst QB's in the league and let us see who makes the playoffs more in 10 years.

Trent Dilfer literally opened the doors for all of the crap QB's out there and coaches who know nothing about offense and turned this league into the parity it is now: a bunch of crap QB's with a bunch of defensive-minded teams trying to catch the teams with the great QB's lighting up the scoreboard.

I mean look at the Saints and the Colts this year. Honestly they are not as talented as every would want them to be. You take either of those receiving cores and throw them with a non top 5 QB and they would do nothing. Peyton and Brees are literally carrying those offenses. Hell look at Aaron Rodgers, the Packers have been awful in every game that he has missed. Sam Bradford took a pathetic Rams offense and almost led them to a playoff game. There is no argument that a top tier QB cant carry your team. Its the most essential position in the NFL. Sure you can win without a QB and sure you can lose with a QB. But the majority of teams that have a franchise QB win every single year.

Any other theories.

Baalke has been the defacto GM since March....If things are moving the way they are it could be because....Jed really likes Baalke and was interviewing other candidates that had to really leave him "wowed" to be in consideration...Apparently Michael Lombardi did that as it was between he and Baalke. Jed went with Baalke...

Now if it seems like a decision has already been made on the next HC, it could be because Baalke and Jed have had been working on this for a couple of months. Jed said he considered firing Singletary after week 5. So it would make since that he would have had Baalke looking at potential coaching candidates since that time. So them being decided on Harbaugh as plan A should not be a surprise to anyone....
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
No conspiracy theory IMO just the easy way out. If we get Harbaugh, it means only one thing in relation to Andrew Luck. Harbaugh was the guy who groomed Luck and made him the #1 QB prospect in the space of two short years. Will they give up the Farm (......get it.......the Farm.........Stanford) to get Luck? Not a chance. The Niners have too many other needs (CB, Pass Rusher, WR) to do that. The Niners are betting that Harbaugh is the right guy to do it again with whomever they draft this year (Locker, Ponder, etc).

I was waiting or someone to point that out

Of the three (Baalke, Harbaugh, and Luck) the only guy that is a must have is Luck. Scouts are basically saying that AT WORST he's the next Matt Ryan. There is no guarantee that Harbaugh can groom another Luck, as all of the other QB prospects this year have some serious flaws that take them out of Luck's class. And there is no guarantee that Baalke can draft the "right" players at our other positions of need. So yeah, give me the closest thing to a sure thing at the most important position in all of sports.
Share 49ersWebzone