LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Baalke's hiring.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So let me guess: you guys would be riding Jed's nuts right now if he picked Lombardi. Why don't you go take a look at his track record? He's never been a GM before either and he spent many years working for Al Davis. Not exactly what I would consider a well run organization! Why is he more credentialed to run a sports franchise than Baalke?

I think I can answer this one for you guys. Lombardi's a flashy name because he writes articles for NFL.com and is a TV personality. Am I right?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Cohn is a pathetic prick... I told myself I'll never read his crap again after his little tirade with the fans when we questioned his ability write a simple sports column.

f**k Cohn.

LOL. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't always agree with Cohn, but more often than not, he simply calls it like he sees it.

The Niners are just so full of fail on so many levels these days that they are easy to bash and pick apart.

f**k Cohn.

She'd love that

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by endz0ne:
Unfortunately, Baalke rhymes with Donahue...

screwed by the Yorkies again.

Continuity of loosing is not what we want.

What is "loosing?"
When you write stuff like this:

Quote:

Why is that possible? Because Baalke has been with the 49ers six seasons and in that time the 49ers have been the wretched of the Earth. They have been losers and he’s been a loser.

You have an agenda.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Jed strikes me as unprepared to lead or to make key decisions for this franchise, and it ultimately trickles down to the playing field itself. If he's the owner's son, that's life I suppose, but any role he plays as Team President is joke level. He didn't earn that job, and it shows in countless blunders he's already committed.

I don't know if Baalke's the right guy, and most of you who think Harbaugh is the magical savior don't know the same about Harbaugh either.

I just know that Baalke has never been a GM for any NFL franchise, let alone a winning one, and Jed Silver Spoon didn't bother interviewing a single GM candidate from a winner.

How are you supposed to earn the job as team president, he is the owners son! He inherits this team. At least he shows more passion than his father. All I'm going to say is that Jed York, Eddie D, and Bill Parcells know a helluva lot more than we do about Trent baalke.

You seem to have an issue with jeds upperclass lifestyle... I don't know if it's jealousy or ignorance but get over it.
woooow all Cohn does is b***h and whine in all of his articles. Ive honestly never read any positive material from him.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
So let me guess: you guys would be riding Jed's nuts right now if he picked Lombardi. Why don't you go take a look at his track record? He's never been a GM before either and he spent many years working for Al Davis. Not exactly what I would consider a well run organization! Why is he more credentialed to run a sports franchise than Baalke?

I think I can answer this one for you guys. Lombardi's a flashy name because he writes articles for NFL.com and is a TV personality. Am I right?

I thought Jed said he was going to take his time and interview real qualified candidates, that's what he said he'd do. Not this little lame charade where he picked Baalke a priori and then did a couple of token interviews with his mind made up.

There's this thing called integrity in business, and Jed fails at it with this pathetically lame little game.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Cohn is a pathetic prick... I told myself I'll never read his crap again after his little tirade with the fans when we questioned his ability write a simple sports column.

f**k Cohn.

LOL. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't always agree with Cohn, but more often than not, he simply calls it like he sees it.

The Niners are just so full of fail on so many levels these days that they are easy to bash and pick apart.

You can agree with his opinion all you want, in fact he is correct on some levels. But he is a pathetic example of sports journalism which is about the easiest type of journalism out there. Like Stoney said, this guy has a vendetta... Thrives on and actively seeks for an individuals failure and I find that sad to say the least.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Jed strikes me as unprepared to lead or to make key decisions for this franchise, and it ultimately trickles down to the playing field itself. If he's the owner's son, that's life I suppose, but any role he plays as Team President is joke level. He didn't earn that job, and it shows in countless blunders he's already committed.

I don't know if Baalke's the right guy, and most of you who think Harbaugh is the magical savior don't know the same about Harbaugh either.

I just know that Baalke has never been a GM for any NFL franchise, let alone a winning one, and Jed Silver Spoon didn't bother interviewing a single GM candidate from a winner.

How are you supposed to earn the job as team president, he is the owners son! He inherits this team. At least he shows more passion than his father. All I'm going to say is that Jed York, Eddie D, and Bill Parcells know a helluva lot more than we do about Trent baalke.

You seem to have an issue with jeds upperclass lifestyle... I don't know if it's jealousy or ignorance but get over it.

Do you even know how to formulate a cogent argument?

Your entire post is a giant appeal to authority.

Eddie owned the team. He didn't play "Team President". He paid the bills, gtfoutta the way and let guys like McVay and Walsh run the team.

Originally posted by binary2nd:
who cares? As long as he hired Harbaugh, it's fine. Baalke > Lombardi anyways.

I'm not so sure about that. Lombardi is very knowledgeable when he speaks about pretty much any topic on the NFLN and he was part of some great organizations. He may not say what you want to hear, but I like that. No BS. His background also gives him a very broad network of people, important people, currently in and out of the league who have been there and done that.

Baalke has pretty much been the GM for the last 9 months and he should have been speaking up and at least suggestion coaching/gameplan/personnel changes when we were 0-5. And if he was? Then what does that mean about the power of his opinion over those who chose to keep things as they were (Jed?). I know I'm probably stretching a bit, but it does make me wonder a lot. As to the draft in which he had a large say in; I would grade it at a C right now. Its still early, but I feel like he reached a bit for Davis and Dixon isnt going to be the next Gore. Williams is supposed to be a gem, but the kid cant stay healthy enough to show us anything. Iupati is the only solid player for where he was taken. The jury is still out on Mays and Bowman.

As to the article. I agree 100%. Jed thinks we are f**king idiots and time and time again he's insulting our intelligence. You MUST be honest in this business cause the truth will come out sooner rather than later. Whether it be via the media or we figure it out by the logic/timeline inconsistencies that always bring the real truth to light.

I really hope this pans out, but I'm thinking my not-a-dime-spent-on-the-49ers-until-they-turn-their-s**t-around strike is going to continue for a while.
  • Dino
  • Veteran

f**k Cohn.

You can agree with his opinion all you want, in fact he is correct on some levels. But he is a pathetic example of sports journalism which is about the easiest type of journalism out there. Like Stoney said, this guy has a vendetta... Thrives on and actively seeks for an individuals failure and I find that sad to say the least.

I don't mind a person that has an opinion, I just don't like that he often comes across as an attention whore.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Lowell Cohn needs to go f**k himself. His whining is just so irritating.

He has to be the most annoying writer around.

[ Edited by crzy on Jan 4, 2011 at 23:11:46 ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

I thought Jed said he was going to take his time and interview real qualified candidates, that's what he said he'd do. Not this little lame charade where he picked Baalke a priori and then did a couple of token interviews with his mind made up.

There's this thing called integrity in business, and Jed fails at it with this pathetically lame little game.

He interviewed I think 5 candidates (no less than 4) most of whom had been GM's before (and were currently not employed by the NFL. I think one of the Matt's also reported that he had phone interviews with several league employed execs. I'm going to try and find a link.

You can choose to believe that this all was just a charrade to hire Baalke but it's more likely that Baalke was a strong candidate but he was doing his due diligence to make sure there was no one better suited for the job. I just have one question for you: what benefit would Jed get from trying to create a sham GM search and going to great lengths to do so just so he could fool the fan base?
Share 49ersWebzone