LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Baalke's hiring.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Jed may have gone overboard some in his comments after firing Singletary--about searching the ends of the earth for the best GM out there---when he had Baalke already in mind--but we don't really know yet about Baalke. He has been here 5 years---but Nolan, Scott M and Singletary were calling the shots on the draft and personnel--not Baalke.

If we get Harbaugh---I think the tandem will work---Harbaugh and Baalke---two younger guys that want to start a new Niner tradition of excellence!

agreed. I think his comments were intended to give the fans some sense of ok, he looked for the best and Baalke is the best. As 9er fans we have become a little pessimistic about the York ownership... so he is trying to get over that, But the time crunch I think snuck up on him a little too.
From Cohn's column . . .

Quote:
You could disagree with me on one point. I’m bringing up this point in the interest of full disclosure. Maybe Jed is close to a deal with Jim Harbaugh as head coach and he needed a GM in place to close the Harbaugh deal.

That still stinks from a truth perspective. At the news conference in December, Jed insisted, “The general manager will hire the coach.”

If Jed is close to a deal with Harbaugh, it means he has done the hiring and Baalke will rubber-stamp his choice. If this is the case, Jed hardly was being candid.

What a child Lowell can be . . . what was Jed supposed to say? We need to hire somebody in close proximity soon so I can hire Harbaugh? I'm guessing Harbaugh wouldn't have appreciated that and I doubt the fan base would have appreciated Jed saying "I'm going to choose the coach".

The Niners deserve to be ridiculed for clumsy P.R., but this isn't an affront to human decency like drama queen Lowell wants to make it.
Unfortunately, Baalke rhymes with Donahue...

screwed by the Yorkies again.

Continuity of loosing is not what we want.
1st year as a GM and ALL of his (baalke) draft picks made the team....so I'm rollin wit Baalke
Everything he said is 100% true. Jed has his stories completely mixed up right now. Everything he proclaimed in that press conference was a lie.

That being said, if Harbaugh is made HC, he might still save face.
I liked Baalke's draft and his acquisitions this season. Now get Harbaugh and everything may just fall into place.
Originally posted by endz0ne:

It does?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

It does?

In endz0ne's world it does.
Really don't care right now. What he says makes no difference. What will happen, will happen. I'm just curious to see what we do -- hoping we hire who I want us to hire, and then looking forward towards free agency and the draft.

All the other talk in between? Plain and simple, I don't give a crap.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

wow! you're not even close.

Donahue wouldn't leave SoCal most of the time during the season and pretty much never during the offseason.

Baalke has done more in the last 6 months than Donahue ever did in his entire tenure with the organization.

do a thread title search on "Cohn" and see how many times the OP starts threads about Cohn's articles. Remember when Cohn used to come in here to plug his own articles? I bet the OP is Cohn.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

It does?

In endz0ne's world it does.

Wouldn't that be loosening?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
do a thread title search on "Cohn" and see how many times the OP starts threads about Cohn's articles. Remember when Cohn used to come in here to plug his own articles? I bet the OP is Cohn.

pwnr.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Jed strikes me as unprepared to lead or to make key decisions for this franchise, and it ultimately trickles down to the playing field itself. If he's the owner's son, that's life I suppose, but any role he plays as Team President is joke level. He didn't earn that job, and it shows in countless blunders he's already committed.

I don't know if Baalke's the right guy, and most of you who think Harbaugh is the magical savior don't know the same about Harbaugh either.

I just know that Baalke has never been a GM for any NFL franchise, let alone a winning one, and Jed Silver Spoon didn't bother interviewing a single GM candidate from a winner.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Cohn is a pathetic prick... I told myself I'll never read his crap again after his little tirade with the fans when we questioned his ability write a simple sports column.

f**k Cohn.
Share 49ersWebzone