LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Baalke is the OFFICIAL GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
haha at todays press conf. Did anyone notice how horsed he sounded. Well I'd just like to be the first to thank Baalke for sucking Jim's dick for the last 3 days i know it must have been rough he almost lost his voice in the attempt to get this man signed, thats the true passion of a guy who will do anything to win, even if it means getting down on both knees!
Baalke rules.

Lol custom khaki work shirts FTW. Sealed the deal with Harbaugh.

Quote:
York's favorite part of the meeting probably occurred when Baalke pulled out some special custom clothing he had ordered. They were khaki work shirts. The 49ers' logo and the names "Trent" and "Jim" stitched on the left upper chest of the shirts. The message was that Baalke wanted the two of them to roll up their sleeves together and get going on the 49ers rebuild.
LINK

[ Edited by NewEraNiner on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:24:24 ]
I didn't realize that Trent was such a huge 49ers fan. At the end of his interview this morning on KNBR he really talks up Baalke as a future "superstar" of the league and he really sounds pumped up about the current Niners situation.

http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/murphmac/0110trentdilfer.mp3
I think Baalke has known for a very long time that Singletary is not the right guy and that's why I think Baalke and Sing didn't really get along very well.

Trent attended Stanford practices when scouting players (and probably a certain coach) and probably saw how a college team was running practices much better than his own Pro team.

I'm sure he knows exactly what we will get out of Harbaugh. The dude has seen him work when the cameras are not on.
Give Baalke a chance to shake things up

I feel the Baalke hate has died down quite a bit after bringing in Harbaugh but I'd still like to write about this topic.

A lot has been made about how Baalke is just the internal hire, the yes man for Jed York, the cheap pick etc. and almost everyone stressed the need for some fresh blood (me included: I wanted Sundquist). But after thinking about the situation: the Baalke hire will probably turn out be the best hire we could do.

There were too critical flaws to the plan to bring in a new GM. The "proven GM's" were either guys who had been given their chance as GM's and failed in some way, or retired guys who are probably not up for the job anymore. The young "rising star" executives were even less experienced than Baalke: at least he had occupied some of the roles of a GM this year. Although not being around a winning organization who has a well structured front office is a concern: he also has way more knowledge about how the organization is already run, which is something a new guy would not be aware of. He has seen the areas that need improvement, he has seen which scouts are the hardest working, which scouts have the best eyes for talent. He has seen the way certain players conduct themselves. He has obviously had time to come up with a plan for the organization as seen by the Harbaugh hire and can locate a target and close the deal.

Baalke is by all appearances a no-bulls**t guy. Just because he's an internal guy doesn't mean he's going to keep the status quo. It could turn out to be that way, but let's give this guy some breathing room to make some FO changes. Hiring new personel guys, firing some guys etc. If it turns out there is no change in the front office I'll be right with you guys waving the pitchforks, but I'm confident he'll make some smart decisions to help get us on the right track.

The biggest issue I have concerns over is the lack of experience. I really feel that Jed needs to put aside his ego a bit and hire an experienced and respected former GM to aid in an advisory role for Baalke. But aside from that I feel the hire was a good move and am excited to see the rest of Baalke's plan for this organization.
It is time to admit that I prejudged the situation without knowing much about Baalke. And I agree that there were no power type GMs available that were really slam dunks. If the 9ers get a senior guy to give advice it will complete what is, for me, a perfect scenario. I tip my cap to Jed!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
good questions by TK

timkawakami Tim Kawakami
If Baalke was unconvinced about Singletary, why did he allow MS to fully commit to Alex Smith last spring? To let MS self-destruct? Hmm.

»
Tim Kawakami
timkawakami Tim Kawakami
Don't know how close Singletary was to McCloughan, but clearly Baalke almost immediately was skeptical of Singletary. Played out that way.
Originally posted by susweel:
good questions by TK

timkawakami Tim Kawakami
If Baalke was unconvinced about Singletary, why did he allow MS to fully commit to Alex Smith last spring? To let MS self-destruct? Hmm.

»
Tim Kawakami
timkawakami Tim Kawakami
Don't know how close Singletary was to McCloughan, but clearly Baalke almost immediately was skeptical of Singletary. Played out that way.

Makes sense now add into that the fact that Ballke had been talking to Harbaugh since early in the season.

Maybe Baalke was the rat
good questions by TK

timkawakami Tim Kawakami

»
Tim Kawakami
timkawakami Tim Kawakami

As to the first tweet, I don't think Baalke had the clout to question MS at that time.
I like the second tweet, though.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
good questions by TK

timkawakami Tim Kawakami

»
Tim Kawakami
timkawakami Tim Kawakami

As to the first tweet, I don't think Baalke had the clout to question MS at that time.

I agree

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
good questions by TK

timkawakami Tim Kawakami

»
Tim Kawakami
timkawakami Tim Kawakami

Didnt Sing have final say over the roster? Balake could have brought in anybody but Sing was stilll gonna have the final call
These latest developments is leading me to believe Baalke was Sing's rat.
Originally posted by verb1der:

Dirty. I am actually happy there was a rat to expose the crap coaching.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by verb1der:

Dirty. I am actually happy there was a rat to expose the crap coaching.

Maybe Jed was the rat... he wanted Baalke as his GM, right?

Wait... maybe Uncle Eddie was the rat... Jed did confide in him.

Ok... I'm the rat....
Share 49ersWebzone