LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Baalke is the OFFICIAL GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Anyone else worried that Baalke, NOT Harbaugh will be responsible for the 53 man roster?? Anyone else catch this during the press conference

not worried

Me neither, Baalke said that he and Harbaugh will definitely cooperate with eachother when it comes to the 53 man roster.

Essentially it could basically just wind up meaning Harbaugh tells Baalke who it should be, and Baalke has the final hand in cutting them.
Eric_Branch Eric Branch
Baalke had written into his contract that he would have control of the 53-man roster and the draft.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Anyone else worried that Baalke, NOT Harbaugh will be responsible for the 53 man roster?? Anyone else catch this during the press conference

not worried

Me neither, Baalke said that he and Harbaugh will definitely cooperate with eachother when it comes to the 53 man roster.

Essentially it could basically just wind up meaning Harbaugh tells Baalke who it should be, and Baalke has the final hand in cutting them.

Given Baalke's draft, and the way he has handled resigning VD and Willis, I have no complaints with him handling the roster decisions. I think Harbaugh understands that it will be tough enough being a first year coach in the NFL. He has to adjust to the league, the players, the game, etc. It's a GOOD thing people, he's being humble and is taking a little bit off of his plate and putting it on someone else's that has shown a pretty good ability thus far to manage it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

not worried

Not worried either
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch
Baalke had written into his contract that he would have control of the 53-man roster and the draft.

Isn't that the GM's job?
Originally posted by Otter:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

Isn't that the GM's job?

sometimes.....Cowher for instance would want that power
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

not worried

Given Baalke's draft, and the way he has handled resigning VD and Willis, I have no complaints with him handling the roster decisions. I think Harbaugh understands that it will be tough enough being a first year coach in the NFL. He has to adjust to the league, the players, the game, etc. It's a GOOD thing people, he's being humble and is taking a little bit off of his plate and putting it on someone else's that has shown a pretty good ability thus far to manage it.

this is a good thing. now, harbaugh doesn't have to deal with certain rigors of the job that any 1st year coach would have problems with. he must trust enough in baalke to be able to bring the right players or he knows that he should concentrate on certain aspects of the pro game before he expands his influence into different areas regarding the shape of the team. this is good!
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

Isn't that the GM's job?

It's telling that Baalke did not want to be some name-sake GM for a guy like Gruden or Cowher who may have wanted more power.

I'm going to speculate that for that reason, Baalke likely would not have reached out to those guys.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

Isn't that the GM's job?

It's telling that Baalke did not want to be some name-sake GM for a guy like Gruden or Cowher who may have wanted more power.

I'm going to speculate that for that reason, Baalke likely would not have reached out to those guys.

Yeah it comes with the deal, Baalke will get all the talent Harbaugh wants, but Baalke will still want a little credit (so both look like geniuses for getting deals done/scouting the right talent).

As far as I can assume, Harbaugh will get what he wants offensively (with final say), but he won't have as large of a pulse on the defensive side as he did at Stanford (in relation to what Jim's DC will build around).

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

Isn't that the GM's job?

Yeah it comes with the deal, Baalke will get all the talent Harbaugh wants, but Baalke will still want a little credit (so both look like geniuses for getting deals done/scouting the right talent).

As far as I can assume, Harbaugh will get what he wants offensively (with final say), but he won't have as large of a pulse on the defensive side as he did at Stanford (in relation to what Jim's DC will build around).

Contrary to what everyone here believes, not everyone is motivated by things like money, or getting credit, or 'attaboys, or whatever. Sometimes people genuinely love what they do and can appreciate each others strengths while being honest about their shortcomings in group work environments.

Isnt it 8x(83?) men roster including draft? As for the QB I believe its more on Harbaugh than Baalke though.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/right-fit-trump.html

fmm...Its rather strange for GMs, isnt it?
Originally posted by DominantQE:

Isnt it 8x(83?) men roster including draft? As for the QB I believe its more on Harbaugh than Baalke though.

The offseason roster limit is 80 . . . cut down to 53 before the first game

as gm trent sits with jim to understand what he needs, goes to scouting and gather intel, presents the potential candidates with jim before pulling the trigger. then of course it goes thru paraag to hammer out contracts. if harbaugh truly intends to bring back wco then he'll be busy enough on working with the offense and staff in installing the new playbook. just hella glad he had the right connection to haul him in

Share 49ersWebzone