LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

One QB and Coach away

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by dj43:
I wish it were that close, but it isn't. In fact, given what Alex was able to do once Johnson took over, QB may not even be the greatest need. (well it is now that it is clear Alex has no intention of seeking to re-sign here)

This team also needs a pass rusher in a big way. The entire secondary will look a lot better if the opposing QB has only 2.5 seconds instead of 4 to find an open receiver.

It also needs a FAST WR. Crabtree, as much potential as he has, does not have the speed to stretch a defense, and Ginn just isn't reliable.

All of the good playoff teams have at least one corner that is close to a "shutdown" guy. The 49ers don't.

That is 4 MAJOR needs that must be solved, and that assumes that some current combination will resolve the problem at RG.

And we haven't even begun to see light in the FO mess.

No, my friends, this franchise is still a long way from what it once was.

Yet, hope springs eternal.

WR
Crabtree and Ginn don't run routes well and drop more passes than is reasonable.
Morgan is starting because he's a good blocker (ala the Singletary factor). Neither starting WR has speed. Hole at No. 1 WR.

When has a starting WR ever made a SB team? Tell me who was the speed guy for the Cards when they went? Or the Colts?

OL
Anthony Davis can't handle speed rushers. He should be moved to RG. It's time to trade Rachal. Hole at OT (again).

So we give up on guys after there rookie year? Thats genius and Rachal wasn't/isn't the problem

RB
Gore is hurt. He doesn't have breakaway speed. Teams can crowd the line when he's in there. Norris even blocked poorly this season. Westbrook is injury-prone. Dixon did nothing. Hole at FB.

Not very hard to fill

Leaders
No offensive side leader.

Vernon Davis

DL/LB
No consistent pass rush. Hole at DE/OLB.

Finally a big area of concern. I would rather find a pass rusher than a "shut down" corner because even average corners look good with a solid pass rush.

Secondary
Because Nate Clements is slow, he takes risks and is an easy mark on feints, double moves, HB passes, etc. He's kept his job as CB because of his success with Larry Fitzgerald. He is also teaching his risky behavior to Tarrell Brown and others. He should be cut or forced to move to safety. Goldson, Mays and Smith failed at safety. At least one hole at CB and Safety.

Special Teams
Ginn runs afraid on kickoff returns. He's not big or strong enough. One hole KO Returner.

See Devin Hester and DeSean Jackson. Neither "big or strong enough" but they make it happen. Ginn lacks the vision of those other guys but retuning kicks ain't exactly RB.
Yup, just a great QB and QB coach way, plus a terrific scheme, offensive philosphy, positions coaches, key players and GM and supportive fans away. That's it!
There was one play yesterday that gives me an idea of where this team is at offensively. There was a right side blitzer, I think it was Dockett, coming pretty much unblocked. Three step drop, Smith wants to throw it quick, but NONE of our receivers on the blitz side cut the route short to catch Smith's throw. Smith pulled it down, went quickly to the other side to an outlet RB. Except, there was so much traffic Smith ended up throwing at the feet of the RB.

Player execution, coaching, it all equal to bad.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

lol, McNabb and Kolb had worse seasons than Smith on better teams, in better situations under vastly superior coaches.

Jed also thinks we're just a coach and QB away, and that's why we're screwed. He doesn't see that this team has far worse problems than Alex Smith. We went 6-10 against one of the easiest schedules in the league. The OL is dreadful, Gore is on the decline, our best WR is a diva who gives up on plays and has terrible hands that needlessly tips balls to the defense. The D is mediocre at best, and ranked 27th in the NFL, last in the NFC, in takeaways. This doesn't start at QB and it doesn't stop at Singletary. It goes to the top of the front office, to our horrible ownership that purged Mooch for Dennis Erickson.

Alex Smith will go elsewhere to a far better situation, we'll get a better coach and a worse QB while hoping our #1 pick pans out, but little or nothing will be done to fix the systemic problems in this organization or plug the many holes on personnel.
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

the newb speaks.
sorry buddy but a little wet behind the ears on that thinking. Lets try this for size
qb, coach, dc,oc,dl,rb,rec,SECONDARY. That equates to a ways away.

[ Edited by whatawegot on Jan 3, 2011 at 15:59:18 ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 21Gore:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by gravelburn:
All you guys screaming for a FA QB, here's the list of FA available...

Free Agent QB list

Not many options out there, some aren't going to leave the team they are on, some just aren't any better than what we had.

And it's going to take time to groom a rookie QB who might not even pan out. Looking at that list, Alex might be the best one available to tie this team over until a rookie is truly ready to go. He may have been inconsistent and is definitely not the long-term solution, but he wouldn't be a bad stop-gap option until there's someone better to plug in. Too bad we've probably booed him out of town. The backlash will be vicious if they actually decide and manage to re-sign him, though it might be the best option.

It is a shame we have so many clueless, classless fans. Smith is/was a niner at heart, and loyalty is pretty rare in this age of free agency. He's not the best QB in the NFL, but he can play, especially when the OC isn't a complete idiot. He took too much of the blame for this teams lack of success. Any QB in the NFL would have struggled with the circus that has been the niners franchise for the past 8-10 years.

It's obvious, Alex Smith has got to be one of your family members or friends. There's just no way you can keep defending this guy after 6 years of mediocre/below average football. Just open your eyes!!! Look at what Bradford is doing, with 1/3 of the talents of this offense! AS A ROOKIE!

Maybe you didn't watch the game last night, but the Seahawks took the short throw "checkdown" away and Bradford looked pretty bad. Everyone critizes Alex for checking down and playing it safe and Bradford does it all year and he is a god.

Exactly. Certainly Bradford's on a better curve than Smith, since this was only his rookie season, but statistically Alex had a much better season than Bradford, and he faced much tougher competition (since Alex missed most of the easy portion of our schedule).
Oh God I hope Luck throws 6 interceptions and under 20 yards. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by dj43:
I wish it were that close, but it isn't. In fact, given what Alex was able to do once Johnson took over, QB may not even be the greatest need. (well it is now that it is clear Alex has no intention of seeking to re-sign here)

This team also needs a pass rusher in a big way. The entire secondary will look a lot better if the opposing QB has only 2.5 seconds instead of 4 to find an open receiver.

It also needs a FAST WR. Crabtree, as much potential as he has, does not have the speed to stretch a defense, and Ginn just isn't reliable.

All of the good playoff teams have at least one corner that is close to a "shutdown" guy. The 49ers don't.

That is 4 MAJOR needs that must be solved, and that assumes that some current combination will resolve the problem at RG.

And we haven't even begun to see light in the FO mess.

No, my friends, this franchise is still a long way from what it once was.

Yet, hope springs eternal.

WR
Crabtree and Ginn don't run routes well and drop more passes than is reasonable.
Morgan is starting because he's a good blocker (ala the Singletary factor). Neither starting WR has speed. Hole at No. 1 WR.

When has a starting WR ever made a SB team? Tell me who was the speed guy for the Cards when they went? Or the Colts?

OL
Anthony Davis can't handle speed rushers. He should be moved to RG. It's time to trade Rachal. Hole at OT (again).

So we give up on guys after there rookie year? Thats genius and Rachal wasn't/isn't the problem

RB
Gore is hurt. He doesn't have breakaway speed. Teams can crowd the line when he's in there. Norris even blocked poorly this season. Westbrook is injury-prone. Dixon did nothing. Hole at FB.

Not very hard to fill

Leaders
No offensive side leader.

Vernon Davis

DL/LB
No consistent pass rush. Hole at DE/OLB.

Finally a big area of concern. I would rather find a pass rusher than a "shut down" corner because even average corners look good with a solid pass rush.

Secondary
Because Nate Clements is slow, he takes risks and is an easy mark on feints, double moves, HB passes, etc. He's kept his job as CB because of his success with Larry Fitzgerald. He is also teaching his risky behavior to Tarrell Brown and others. He should be cut or forced to move to safety. Goldson, Mays and Smith failed at safety. At least one hole at CB and Safety.

Special Teams
Ginn runs afraid on kickoff returns. He's not big or strong enough. One hole KO Returner.

See Devin Hester and DeSean Jackson. Neither "big or strong enough" but they make it happen. Ginn lacks the vision of those other guys but retuning kicks ain't exactly RB.

You're right. I should have said Ginn isn't gutsy enough.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
So... Who's this QB gonna be? Yall act as if it's going to be an easy task. I was thinking and Alex Smith will probably be the most sought after FA QB in 2011. Maybe Kolb what whats he proved? So be careful what you people are wishing for. This FA class kind of blows. No FA out there answers our question, and to think a rookie can come in and do it, is a far stretch.

Edit. Nevermind... Already brought up...

I don't think Kolb is a free agent.

Kolb is under contract with the Eagles through 2011.
Originally posted by vaden:

lol, McNabb and Kolb had worse seasons than Smith on better teams, in better situations under vastly superior coaches.

I don't get the clamor for McNabb. His struggling plays in DC confirmed that he was very uncomfortable even with a similar-but-modified offensive system, and it does look like he is into his declining years. The 49ers might not have much choice, and would have to try to sign him if the Redskins decided to cut him during the off-season (it wouldn't cost the Redskins that much to cut him because of the amazingly low-ball contract offer that McNabb got) but don't expect any return to glory with McNabb.

Jed also thinks we're just a coach and QB away, and that's why we're screwed. He doesn't see that this team has far worse problems than Alex Smith. We went 6-10 against one of the easiest schedules in the league. The OL is dreadful, Gore is on the decline, our best WR is a diva who gives up on plays and has terrible hands that needlessly tips balls to the defense. The D is mediocre at best, and ranked 27th in the NFL, last in the NFC, in takeaways. This doesn't start at QB and it doesn't stop at Singletary. It goes to the top of the front office, to our horrible ownership that purged Mooch for Dennis Erickson.

Alex Smith will go elsewhere to a far better situation, we'll get a better coach and a worse QB while hoping our #1 pick pans out, but little or nothing will be done to fix the systemic problems in this organization or plug the many holes on personnel.

I've been a Smith supporter since he got drafted and I gave him some slack. But this year was no excuse. The OC was kept, he was healthy throughout minicamps and been in the league for 5 years. He is no rookie. But he just doesn't have it between the ears, he's vision is mediocre, he last little leadership, he doesn't demand control and definitely still doesn't know how to win. I've had it. I saw and tape every game he played and he just look awful and lost at times. At least Troy Smith made things happen and won some games. Smith has the tools, but not the skills and demeanor yet to be a starting QB.

I've been a Smith supporter since he got drafted and I gave him some slack. But this year was no excuse. The OC was kept, he was healthy throughout minicamps and been in the league for 5 years. He is no rookie. But he just doesn't have it between the ears, he's vision is mediocre, he last little leadership, he doesn't demand control and definitely still doesn't know how to win. I've had it. I saw and tape every game he played and he just look awful and lost at times. At least Troy Smith made things happen and won some games. Smith has the tools, but not the skills and demeanor yet to be a starting QB.

This years offensive line was total garbage, that and the coordinator was trash. Troy played well against the s**tty teams, but was a complete bust when he had to face a powerhouse like the Bucs. If you think Troy is the better of the Smiths, man you need to educate yourself. Honestly neither of them are impressive, but Alex is the better QB.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by gravelburn:
All you guys screaming for a FA QB, here's the list of FA available...

Free Agent QB list

Not many options out there, some aren't going to leave the team they are on, some just aren't any better than what we had.

And it's going to take time to groom a rookie QB who might not even pan out. Looking at that list, Alex might be the best one available to tie this team over until a rookie is truly ready to go. He may have been inconsistent and is definitely not the long-term solution, but he wouldn't be a bad stop-gap option until there's someone better to plug in. Too bad we've probably booed him out of town. The backlash will be vicious if they actually decide and manage to re-sign him, though it might be the best option.

It is a shame we have so many clueless, classless fans. Smith is/was a niner at heart, and loyalty is pretty rare in this age of free agency. He's not the best QB in the NFL, but he can play, especially when the OC isn't a complete idiot. He took too much of the blame for this teams lack of success. Any QB in the NFL would have struggled with the circus that has been the niners franchise for the past 8-10 years.

It's obvious, Alex Smith has got to be one of your family members or friends. There's just no way you can keep defending this guy after 6 years of mediocre/below average football. Just open your eyes!!! Look at what Bradford is doing, with 1/3 of the talents of this offense! AS A ROOKIE!

That poster you're banging your head against the wall because of...........he's smarter than you.
McNabb needs to be stricken off of any list of elite QB's. The guy had a HORRENDOUS year for a QB-minded coach. Seriously... Alex Smith had a better year.

lol, Troy Smth.
Share 49ersWebzone