LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

One QB and Coach away

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hmm lets resign westbrook, pickup mcnabb, get marty mornhinweg as head coach and become Eagles(west)

sike
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

You've got to be f'ing kidding me!

The 49ers are NOT just a QB and coach away. Especially McNabb or Kolb! LOL. This team had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL this year, if not the worst, and the way the secondary played was miserable. McNabb or Kolb wouldn't have changed that one bit and I don't know if you noticed this but we got better play from our QBs this year than McNabb or Kolb played for their teams...
Originally posted by dj43:
I wish it were that close, but it isn't. In fact, given what Alex was able to do once Johnson took over, QB may not even be the greatest need. (well it is now that it is clear Alex has no intention of seeking to re-sign here)

12 TD, 5 INT, 60% completion percentage, 1,638 yards, 90.61 passer rating over 223 attempts.

That's not just the good games but includes the bad games like San Diego where he was sacked 6 times and hit/hurried all night long. Those are his numbers since Johnson took over.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gavintech:
I wish it were that close, but it isn't. In fact, given what Alex was able to do once Johnson took over, QB may not even be the greatest need. (well it is now that it is clear Alex has no intention of seeking to re-sign here)

12 TD, 5 INT, 60% completion percentage, 1,638 yards, 90.61 passer rating over 223 attempts.

That's not just the good games but includes the bad games like San Diego where he was sacked 6 times and hit/hurried all night long. Those are his numbers since Johnson took over.
That points to the strong need for an offensive-minded HC, but unfortunately, those numbers have packed up and are moving away. We now DO need a QB in a big way.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to McNabb

[ Edited by MarkD on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:40:59 ]

That points to the strong need for an offensive-minded HC, but unfortunately, those numbers have packed up and are moving away. We now DO need a QB in a big way.

The problem with Coach Sing was he has no idea how to use the talent he had offensively. There was no strategy to exploit opponents weakness, recognize his own team weakness, and very lack of attention to details or urgency to fix fundamentals. All he did was scream and make speeches. That only works short term, eventually the team will get sick of that craft. Strategy and limiting mental errors are the key to NFL success. That's why smart QB is must and innovative coach that understand current players and NFL trend.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to McNabb

THIS a thousand times this.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

You are wrong. Sure a HC and a QB will allow us to win this pathetic division, but we wont be Superbowl Contenders until we get a Real Football Guy in the Front Office. If Baalke is promoted ill be ready for another 5-7 years of being scrubs

And that's what they did with Sing as HC and Johnson using Raye's playbook. It's too bad Johnson wasn't promoted to the OC before the season. I'm pretty confident this season would have been a lot different. Still not SB contenders by a longshot but the season wouldn't have been so pitiful.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
And if our secondary could cover a double-move. And if our offensive line was more consistent.. And if we could get a consistent pass-rush...

Kawakami wrote a great article about this today : Here's his page.

We need more than just a QB and a coach. Winning the NFC West would not make us a good team imo, it would make us the best team in the worst division.

Don't be fooled by the fact that we have 6 wins. They all came against teams with losing records and 4 of them came against teams in the NFC West (the other two being the Broncos and the Raiders).

And the funny thing is, it didnt matter if we had Alex or Troy. No one found it funny that two Qb's with two different styles played well when in their comfort zone. And different when they were held back. And in my opinion it all starts with the coaching. In my opinion also, if the defense held like it was supposed too, we would of won against NO, ATL, and maybe half the games we lost. I mean we lost at least 4 games i think by 3 pts or less.

I dont remember a year like this one where most QB's threw tons of INT's, but rebounded, and the team was able to pull out a win. And especially the Giants. Jamie Dukes even said, i cant see how u can still win, and lead the league in INT's with like 18 or 20. Eli is an avg to maybe slightly above avg QB in my opinion, and the defense, and running game helped a lot, when Eli couldnt do a thing, other facets of the team stepped up.

If the Offense was sucking, then the Defense and special teams stepped up. On our team it's like if the QB doesnt play well then we have no chance. Thats actually why Warner said he retired. He said " i felt that if i went back another year, that if i played bad, then we wouldnt win". And he said a QB shouldnt feel like that. He should feel that the team has his back, and if he's having a bad day then they can hold it down for him.

But nope not our team. So thats why i say, we need the right coach first to put whatever QB we have in the best position to be successful, as well as the other players. How many times were we maybe down in the second half, just to come out and run the same s**t, that wasnt working in the first half.

This team is way beyond just needing a QB. IMHO

All you guys screaming for a FA QB, here's the list of FA available...

Free Agent QB list

Not many options out there, some aren't going to leave the team they are on, some just aren't any better than what we had.
Everyone seems to forget about the O-line. It depends on how well they play next year also. They were marginal this year. Two rookies on the line this year and Chilo still struggling, but they get a pass this year.
The 49ers D was put in many bad situations because our QB either turn it over or didnt convert 3rd downs. Its horrible, horrible and its very frustrating. 3rd down and 1 seems like 3rd down 50 to the 49ers.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Free Agent QB list

Not many options out there, some aren't going to leave the team they are on, some just aren't any better than what we had.

And it's going to take time to groom a rookie QB who might not even pan out. Looking at that list, Alex might be the best one available to tie this team over until a rookie is truly ready to go. He may have been inconsistent and is definitely not the long-term solution, but he wouldn't be a bad stop-gap option until there's someone better to plug in. Too bad we've probably booed him out of town. The backlash will be vicious if they actually decide and manage to re-sign him, though it might be the best option.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Free Agent QB list

The more I look at that list and evaluate who will actually be available, the more depressed I get. There just aren't very many decent QBs in this league.
Share 49ersWebzone