There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One QB and Coach away

Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
And if our secondary could cover a double-move. And if our offensive line was more consistent.. And if we could get a consistent pass-rush...

Kawakami wrote a great article about this today : Here's his page.

We need more than just a QB and a coach. Winning the NFC West would not make us a good team imo, it would make us the best team in the worst division.

Don't be fooled by the fact that we have 6 wins. They all came against teams with losing records and 4 of them came against teams in the NFC West (the other two being the Broncos and the Raiders).

Its all about the QB and coach. Our DBs were just pressing too much to make plays. If we had decent QB, 49ers beat Atl, NO and Phily. Their DBs are not that great.

My point is that the problems run much deeper than just two people. If it was just two people we wouldn't have been playing the Cardinals to stay out of last place in the NFC West.

You could also say our QBs were pressing too much because they knew the secondary was going to give up a lot of points or because the offensive line sucked or because there was no pass-rush and therefore the opposition QB could sit in the pocket for as long as he liked. OR you could say that the play-calling was terrible on both sides of the ball not putting our players in position to succeed. One coach and one player isn't going to fix everything.

Will it make us competitive? I think so. Elite? No way.
From what? If you believe thats all thats wrong with this team then you might be in for a long season. More importantly we need this young Oline to play as a unit like they have been drafted too. And a pass rush.
CB, OLB, DE, NT(DT),
What I'm saying, giving the roster now, a better coach could have use his players on their strenghts and a qb better execute the plays. The talent is here now. There is no teams that is complete, but one common denomiator on thos good teams, smart QB and innovative head coach.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of hearing people (and media) say that this team is full of talent. Or that this team has enough talent to compete for a Superbowl.

There's so many holes on this team, I don't know where to begin. We are not just one QB and coach away.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
And if our secondary could cover a double-move. And if our offensive line was more consistent.. And if we could get a consistent pass-rush...

Kawakami wrote a great article about this today : Here's his page.

We need more than just a QB and a coach. Winning the NFC West would not make us a good team imo, it would make us the best team in the worst division.

Don't be fooled by the fact that we have 6 wins. They all came against teams with losing records and 4 of them came against teams in the NFC West (the other two being the Broncos and the Raiders).

The Niners beat Atl regardless If th Defense doesnt let the Falcons get in FG range.

OK this post got messed up cause that was my statement about the defense keeping the falcons out of FG range...dont know what happened though

[ Edited by SashRoxx-1 on Jan 3, 2011 at 07:31:54 ]
Yeah....One QB and Coach away from getting into the playoffs...I dont know how much further we would have gotten after we got there tho...Our secondary was really suspect at times.......
Is the QB also going to block for himself to have time to throw? Will the coach rush the opposing QB? WAKE THE f**k UP. This team had way more flaws GEEZ.
More like an owner, GM, coach, QB, secondary, o-line, and pass rush away
Originally posted by nooj:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of hearing people (and media) say that this team is full of talent. Or that this team has enough talent to compete for a Superbowl.

There's so many holes on this team, I don't know where to begin. We are not just one QB and coach away.

then how did we throw down with the Saints and Eagles and Falcons all top 3 teams of the NFC?
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

Have you checked McNabb's stats or performance lately? I am not ready to say he is washed up, but I don't know that he is the answer either. Maybe with the right OC and system he could produce, but he would be more of a short term solution, rather than the ANSWER.
Originally posted by zocool16:
Is the QB also going to block for himself to have time to throw? Will the coach rush the opposing QB? WAKE THE f**k UP. This team had way more flaws GEEZ.

Quick passing, slant,curls, screen, wheel rout would solve weak Oline. All it takes is perfection of these plays. Bill Walsh made this clear long time ago. Once in a while wing it out deep. The right coach could have use Smith differently. If 49ers would have scored enough, the defense could have been more creative instead of playing tentative and pressing many times.

Peyton Manning, Packers, Bears, and many other lines are not that good, but innovative play calling to their QB's strength gets it done.
The niners have had terrible coaching for 8 years. Just look at how many playoff teams that have less talent and win many more games.
If 49ers had a decent QB and Coach, they could have beaten Falcons, Saints, Panthers, swept Seahawks and Rams. They had those games but the QB and coach let it slipped away. aarrgggg!!!

we didnt beat the Falcons cause N. Clements is a bum
I wish it were that close, but it isn't. In fact, given what Alex was able to do once Johnson took over, QB may not even be the greatest need. (well it is now that it is clear Alex has no intention of seeking to re-sign here)

This team also needs a pass rusher in a big way. The entire secondary will look a lot better if the opposing QB has only 2.5 seconds instead of 4 to find an open receiver.

It also needs a FAST WR. Crabtree, as much potential as he has, does not have the speed to stretch a defense, and Ginn just isn't reliable.

All of the good playoff teams have at least one corner that is close to a "shutdown" guy. The 49ers don't.

That is 4 MAJOR needs that must be solved, and that assumes that some current combination will resolve the problem at RG.

And we haven't even begun to see light in the FO mess.

No, my friends, this franchise is still a long way from what it once was.

Yet, hope springs eternal.