LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Marvin Lewis might help us get Palmer

Not sure I want Palmer. He's fallen off a cliff the last couple of years.

He might be a good place-holder while we get a young guy ready though.
  • Veteran
beggars can't be choosers, if we can't land Harbough or any other top HC, we'lll be lucky to get Billick. Many of these guys don't want to work for the Yorks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Harbaugh is by far my 1st choice. If we can't get him I definitely wouldn't mind a Billick/Lewis combo as HC and DC, as long as he brings in a strong OC and they go get a good QB

This
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Harbaugh is by far my 1st choice. If we can't get him I definitely wouldn't mind a Billick/Lewis combo as HC and DC, as long as he brings in a strong OC and they go get a good QB

This

Hey mayo49, how many days until the draft?
Billick is experienced and knows how a good WC organization is run and would be a good candidate for Niners HC. He helped Bill Walsh with his book "Finding the Winning Edge" and he's a great line to our WC past... The problem with the hierarchy right now is that there is very little experience in the front office. Our GM will be Baalke, and Jed/Paraag and those other guys basically don't know how to run a successful team. In other words, I think our FC needs to be paired with an experienced head coach, who knows how an organization is run.
Yes, there is playoff-level talent here (NFC), but there isn't a very stable front-office that most good coaches want.

Billick is a good choice, because he brings experience to the team and has been a winner in the past. A guy like Mornhinweg is great if you have a seasoned front office that can help him. Mornhinweg plus Baalke seems like a disaster to me. Love Mornhinwegs ability to develop QB's but coaching is another beast.

As for QB's, I agree that it is a relative weakness for Billick considering his track record. But I also think the focus here is different than in Baltimore. I think he's my #1 coach, since Harbaugh and Gruden are not coming.

This ^
Originally posted by 190836:
beggars can't be choosers, if we can't land Harbough or any other top HC, we'lll be lucky to get Billick. Many of these guys don't want to work for the Yorks.

THIS.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

This ^

He looked pretty good last week without 85 and 81 screaming in his ear

and he is way better than what we got
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

This ^

He looked pretty good last week without 85 and 81 screaming in his ear

and he is way better than what we got

Agreed. Wouldn't mind having him for a year while we develop the QB we're going to draft.

Billick might even want to develop T. Smith or N. Davis.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
I'd be very happy with Billick and Lewis as DC.

The man literally wrote a hell of a book on offensive game planning

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Offensive-Game-Science-Coaching/dp/1585184071

You think things might be a little different in SF with a HC who actually likes QBs? Who actually knows how to develop an offensive gameplan?

Billick was loved here in Baltimore, still is. Of course that also meant he was roundly criticized for not being the offensive genius he was portrayed to be in Minnesota. The frustration with Billick and the offense seemed to grow year by year. The thing is the team never really had above average weapons to utilize. Jamal Lewis had some great years. But the offensive was mostly spare parts and their job was to control the clock and let the defense reign.

So...do I think Billick could turn SF into a magical super bowl contender? Nope. He didn't have any pixie dust in Baltimore for Kyle Boller. But I do think SF has more weapons than Baltimore ever had on offense. And whether Billick is the ultimate answer to turning this team around - he would dig it out of this MASSIVE hole that Singletary and Nolan dug.

Billick to me, is a professional, experienced, coach and leader. SF has not had this in a while. He could do a lot to bring this team back to respectability in the current NFL. And you think he might know a thing or two about player personnel and the draft? Working with Ozzie Newsome to have one of the universally recognized top front offices in football for past decade?

[ Edited by RKab on Jan 1, 2011 at 08:38:00 ]

Correct me if I am wrong, and I know you will. Did Billick not say that he has spent time going to each team via his tv gig and learning how each organization is run and how the successful differ from the non-successful?
The thing I like about Billick is his calm

This team needs that after years withe intense Singletary
Originally posted by RonMexico:
f**k Jason Laconfora

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No more ravens
The thing I like about Billick is his calm

This team needs that after years withe intense Singletary

You mean like the way he calls plays?

-9fA