LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice another 5 years without a developed QB

Remember that Billick couldn't get or develop a QB in about 9 years! Imagine we have been bad for 7 years! I don't think I can wait to have a good developed QB any longer sorry. Billick is not the answer.
Originally posted by luis1985:
Nice another 5 years without a developed QB

Remember that Billick couldn't get or develop a QB in about 9 years! Imagine we have been bad for 7 years! I don't think I can wait to have a good developed QB any longer sorry. Billick is not the answer.

All goes to show Billick should have hired McDaniel or Harbaugh as his QB coach.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by teeohh:
No head coach has ever won the super bowl with two different teams

No head coach has ever won five super bowls. But it may very well happen this year.

and which coach would that be???
Originally posted by daWest:
as an HC from jan '99 - dec '07, billick's offenses have never been better than 14th in the league ('01) and beginning billick's demise in BAL in '04 was his team's 31st ranked offense...in MIN, that '98 record breaking vikes offense had a QB who could throw the deep ball and the fade route. they had one of the and the most productive rookie WR ever (Moss) who could bring in those passes CONSISTENTLY. And they also had one of the greatest possession WRs ever (CC)...unfortunately this 9er franchise possesses none of those things

we really dont want to go this route, i'm telling you...not unless you wanna see more of the same...billick won the SB w/ Dilfer. Impressive as one might deem this, i find it to be terrifying if he's hired to be the next 9er HC. Why? The fact that he's won the SB once with a mediocre QB, and the likelihood that he believes he can duplicate the success he had in 2000, with another team, structured, in many instances, the same way. We dont want 2-3 more years of so-so QB play, bottom line.

the reason this team resembles the Y2K ravens? the PWillis comparison to RLewis and a relatively unknown at the QB spot...the reasons for the reason above are complimentary of Nolan and Singletary, both BAL defectors...

there's just no sense beating the same dead horse...

we DO NOT want billick

So with the personnel we have RIGHT NOW, which HC candidate will be able to fashion a consistently winning offense?
I lifted this post from a thread on a different 49er message board:

"I just want to straighten out one thing regarding Brian Billick. I've seen him interviewed and he described himself as an Offensive-minded coach but when given the HC job with the Ravens he found himself with a top Defensive team.

That is what he inheirited and he made the best of it but it was the player personnel he had that dictated that team and his coaching. I'm neither for nor against Billick as HC but we could do much worse.

Bearing the above in mind, I think of Don Shula. When he had the old Miami eam that was unbeaten throughout the season and won the SB he coached with the player personnel that he had which was a running offense with Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, and Mercury Morris. Griese would only throw 10 to 12 passes a game. That was the game and rules that allowed that type of team to then flourish in the NFL.

Later, with Dan Marino and the Smurfs, he had that team throwing the ball like there was no tomorrow. The player personnel dictated that change and the NFL and rules had then changed and Shula never locked himself into a static, unchanging philosophy. That's why Shula is in the HOF.

Neither Nolan nor Singletary met this criteria as they arrived with a plan and didn't deviate and wanted the players to adapt to their plan rather than adapt their plan to the skillset of their current players IMHO.

I must state that when Erickson came here as HC. He inheirited a team that many colleges could have beaten. We had absolutely nothing in the way of players thanks in large measure to GM Donohue. Nolan came in and went heavily on Defense and succeeded in some measure but failed totally when selecting Alex Smith with the #1 pick overall and his fate rose and sunk with Alex.

Lastly,comes Singletary. He inheirits a relatively decent team with some playmakers especially on Defense. He comes from a model of the '85 Bears and the Ravens. He's a Defensive guy. He's not an X's and O's guy. He believes in (F)ysical football, a great defense and a run first offense that can keep the opposition's Offense on the sidelines. He really has no experience in coaching to speak of but does have cache' with players attributable to his playing years and his motivational skills. Well, IMHO that's dinosaur football that's not dynamic and doesn't take the current NFL and rules therein into what should constitute a winning team in today's NFL.

Singletary is unable to deviate as was Shula as I cited above and he would never place a SB winning team as a result of that intransigence. Same for Nolan but to a lesser degree.

How many NFL games are now won or lost due to pass interferences? One helluva lot! The 5 yard chuck rule, the QB protection rules, the 15 yard facemask rule... are all skewed towards scoring and that's what the fans want and the NFL is obliging.

If you're now sick and tired of how I bloviated so far I'll just finish by saying that what I'm looking for in the GM/HC scenario is people who are dynamic thinkers that play to the strengths of their personnel and bear in mind the current rules that govern the NFL today."

-49erkezarguy (official 49ers message board)
Originally posted by tn9er:

No head coach has ever won five super bowls. But it may very well happen this year.

Sorry, four. Last night was a doozy and coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
as an HC from jan '99 - dec '07, billick's offenses have never been better than 14th in the league ('01) and beginning billick's demise in BAL in '04 was his team's 31st ranked offense...in MIN, that '98 record breaking vikes offense had a QB who could throw the deep ball and the fade route. they had one of the and the most productive rookie WR ever (Moss) who could bring in those passes CONSISTENTLY. And they also had one of the greatest possession WRs ever (CC)...unfortunately this 9er franchise possesses none of those things

we really dont want to go this route, i'm telling you...not unless you wanna see more of the same...billick won the SB w/ Dilfer. Impressive as one might deem this, i find it to be terrifying if he's hired to be the next 9er HC. Why? The fact that he's won the SB once with a mediocre QB, and the likelihood that he believes he can duplicate the success he had in 2000, with another team, structured, in many instances, the same way. We dont want 2-3 more years of so-so QB play, bottom line.

the reason this team resembles the Y2K ravens? the PWillis comparison to RLewis and a relatively unknown at the QB spot...the reasons for the reason above are complimentary of Nolan and Singletary, both BAL defectors...

we DO NOT want billick

When is the last time our Offense finished above 20th? If we were 14th in the league we would probably have locked the division up weeks ago and would be in the mix to represent the NFC in the SB.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran

and Chuck Knoll already has 4 rings!!!

we DO NOT want billick

So with the personnel we have RIGHT NOW, which HC candidate will be able to fashion a consistently winning offense?

someone accomplished at developing QBs, not another coach who has neglected the position and understates its importance, either stating this publicly(Sing) or communicating this through his personnel decisions (Nolan/Billick)

and Chuck Knoll already has 4 rings!!!

True dat. Hope the rest of 2011 isn't as hazy.

I really hope they won't go this way. I'm tired of the Ravens connection. It didn't work and they're not the team I'd like to emulate because our defense isn't built the same way.

Billick was incredibly overrated due to his 1998 defense in Minnesota but that was more due to Moss/Carter, Randall Cunningham and Robert Smith than the play calling.

When he went to Baltimore he never got their offense up to snuff. In fact you could say the offense was terrible in that 2000 SB season. They went like 4-5 games without an offensive TD. Not someone who inspires a ton of confidence in bringing up a young QB.

Harbaugh - definitely knows how to bring up a QB.
Brian Schottenheimer knows how to do it
Holmgren knows how
Morninweig knows how
Mike Mularkey knows how.
Gruden...really hasn't done it but I'd feel better with him teaching a QB than Billick

All of those guys I'd feel better about being our HC than Billick.
Originally posted by redmanc07:

we DO NOT want billick

When is the last time our Offense finished above 20th? If we were 14th in the league we would probably have locked the division up weeks ago and would be in the mix to represent the NFC in the SB.

avg his offenses end of year ranking over the course of his tenure in BAL and your staring down the barrel of the same gun that has been putting bullet holes in our organization for the past 6 years
Billick has called several niner games the last two years and if you've heard him you know he's all about Xs and Os. He also sounds like he's very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of this team and often questioned the play calling during the games. I'd welcome hiring him and Lewis if they blow it with Harbaugh.
Harbaugh is by far my 1st choice. If we can't get him I definitely wouldn't mind a Billick/Lewis combo as HC and DC, as long as he brings in a strong OC and they go get a good QB
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Marvin Lewis might help us get Palmer

Not sure I want Palmer. He's fallen off a cliff the last couple of years.
Share 49ersWebzone