There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This sounds mostly like random speculation but its kind of scary that I'm a lot more thrilled with having Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator than I am having with having Billick as a head coach. I don't mind Billick's experience or leadership, but for a supposed offensive guru, having had a large chunk of a decade to put together a top offense, he sure failed miserably in Baltimore. If Billick comes with a strong offensive coordinator, a guy like Kubiak or someone versed with developing a QB, then it wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Then again I'm just iffy on taking ANY former Baltimore coaches period. Nolan and Singletary had to have picked up a lot of their nonsense and disorganized ways somewhere.

To be fair to Billick, he has stated on different occasions that he doesn't like doing the GM side of a job, which means in Baltimore Ozzie Newsome was the one providing all the "talent" for the Ravens. It could be, that Newsome just wasn't very good with providing offensive weapons, given all the junk they had on offense besides Jamaal Lewis.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
This sounds mostly like random speculation but its kind of scary that I'm a lot more thrilled with having Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator than I am having with having Billick as a head coach. I don't mind Billick's experience or leadership, but for a supposed offensive guru, having had a large chunk of a decade to put together a top offense, he sure failed miserably in Baltimore. If Billick comes with a strong offensive coordinator, a guy like Kubiak or someone versed with developing a QB, then it wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Then again I'm just iffy on taking ANY former Baltimore coaches period. Nolan and Singletary had to have picked up a lot of their nonsense and disorganized ways somewhere.

To be fair to Billick, he has stated on different occasions that he doesn't like doing the GM side of a job, which means in Baltimore Ozzie Newsome was the one providing all the "talent" for the Ravens. It could be, that Newsome just wasn't very good with providing offensive weapons, given all the junk they had on offense besides Jamaal Lewis.

Yet their offense doesn't look half bad right now with Flacco, Boldin and more....interesting that this began to transpire around the same time Billick was dumped..........

Yet their offense doesn't look half bad right now with Flacco, Boldin and more....interesting that this began to transpire around the same time Billick was dumped..........

About the time Eric DeCosta may have begun to have some input into their draft and other personnel decisions...

But even despite that they are still currently 20th in the league in offense and only climbed as high as 13th overall offense last season which is the highest they've pretty much ever been. Even with Harbaugh they've actually roughly hovering around the same total offense as they were under Billick.

It's not to say it's to give Billick a pass as I'm sure he had input to what was on his roster but I do agree with the assessment that Ozzie isn't completely not at fault in this either.
With this speculation from jlc, the new GM will for sure have to do his studying what Billick would bring, because I think the main theme here with the fans is that Billick has many ???s about him.

This would totally fall on the GM if the decision was to bring Billick back into coaching after (3?) Years.
I would not mind this combination at all. Billick would be our best HC since Mooch and Lewis would be our best DC in ages, and definitely the best since the 3-4 was implemented.
Did it ever occur to the Billick supporters that Billick endorsed both Nolan and Singletary?
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Did it ever occur to the Billick supporters that Billick endorsed both Nolan and Singletary?

What is he going to do, throw his friends underneath the bus?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
If you think Billick will be a good coach then try to remember how things were under Mike Nolan. Run, Run, Run punt. Nolan learned this from Billick. So I hated the conservative offense under Nolan and Billick might be an offensive guy but he never developed a Qb while at Baltimore.

I rather have Marty Mornhiweg the assistant coach for Philadelphia. He coached detroit once so he has experience. Was the OC here under Maruicci the last time we made the playoffs.
Originally posted by GORO:
If you think Billick will be a good coach then try to remember how things were under Mike Nolan. Run, Run, Run punt. Nolan learned this from Billick. So I hated the conservative offense under Nolan and Billick might be an offensive guy but he never developed a Qb while at Baltimore.

I rather have Marty Mornhiweg the assistant coach for Philadelphia. He coached detroit once so he has experience. Was the OC here under Maruicci the last time we made the playoffs.

As long as the Niners never go into OT, Marty Mornhiweg should be fine.
I use my VETO power on Billick.
No head coach has ever won the super bowl with two different teams
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Which goes to show he can't predict the future any better than I can (or anyone else, for that matter). Most, if not all coaches who turned out to be clinkers were probably recommended by respected folks (so were the coaches who turned out to be winners, and I'll bet both clinkers and winners were in many cases recommended by the same folks).

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jan 1, 2011 at 07:17:20 ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
No head coach has ever won the super bowl with two different teams

No head coach has ever won four super bowls. But it may very well happen this year.

Edit: fixed!

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jan 1, 2011 at 07:30:41 ]
as an HC from jan '99 - dec '07, billick's offenses have never been better than 14th in the league ('01) and beginning billick's demise in BAL in '04 was his team's 31st ranked offense...in MIN, that '98 record breaking vikes offense had a QB who could throw the deep ball and the fade route. they had one of the and the most productive rookie WR ever (Moss) who could bring in those passes CONSISTENTLY. And they also had one of the greatest possession WRs ever (CC)...unfortunately this 9er franchise possesses none of those things

we really dont want to go this route, i'm telling you...not unless you wanna see more of the same...billick won the SB w/ Dilfer. Impressive as one might deem this, i find it to be terrifying if he's hired to be the next 9er HC. Why? The fact that he's won the SB once with a mediocre QB, and the likelihood that he believes he can duplicate the success he had in 2000, with another team, structured, in many instances, the same way. We dont want 2-3 more years of so-so QB play, bottom line.

the reason this team resembles the Y2K ravens? the PWillis comparison to RLewis and a relatively unknown at the QB spot...the reasons for the reason above are complimentary of Nolan and Singletary, both BAL defectors...

there's just no sense beating the same dead horse...

we DO NOT want billick