There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's the argument for going to the West Coast offense?

Not that I am against but everybody is talking about going back to the WCO because that is what we used to do. This team has become a perennial loser because of poor management, poor coaching and lack of talent (at least at certain points), not because they stopped using the WCO.
Again, if it works fine, but I am looking for valid football reasons, after all if I am not mistaken Tampa Bay was the last team to win it all with the WCO back in 2002.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,040
It's a system that works. The top offensive teams in the NFL run some sort of WC system. We should have kept the system when Mike McCarthy left and we wouldn't have been in a big of offensive mess as we have been with new systems every year. You can always replace the coach and hire another one that runs the same system. look at the coaching tree Walsh left behind, it is still going strong.
Plus, within the vaults at 4949 Centennial we have an enormous and exclusive video library showing years of WCO system and game plan installations starring Bill Walsh. I'm hoping Jim Harbaugh gets a woody thinking about having unrestricted access to that resource.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Not that I am against but everybody is talking about going back to the WCO because that is what we used to do. This team has become a perennial loser because of poor management, poor coaching and lack of talent (at least at certain points), not because they stopped using the WCO.
Again, if it works fine, but I am looking for valid football reasons, after all if I am not mistaken Tampa Bay was the last team to win it all with the WCO back in 2002.

Its the 49ers identity. Its the offense that gave us greatness. Its still used today. Steve Young mentioned in the MNF game just past (Falcons vs Saints), the winning touchdown thrown by Brees was WCO play. He knew the play because he and Montana ran the same exact play under Bill Walsh.

Steve also mentioned that other great teams when you look at them you know exactly what type of team they are. Steelers for instants. When you think Steeler football you think iron curtain defense, grind, smash mouth football. Its been like that for decades now, its who they are, its how they play. They've won super bowls on the back of it.

The 9ers had its identity, and Bill Walsh established that. And we won super bowls on the back of the WCO. We havent won anything since we drifted away from that system. And coaches we bring in either dont understand or dont identify with it.

10yrs have gone by and the 9ers have been in the playoffs once. When the WCO was ran in 49er teams, we were making playoff appearances on a regular bases.

We need to get back to the 9ers identity. WCO is our shadow and its about time we stop trying to run away from it.
The WCO incorporates just about every type of play imaginable, but gives the coach and players the ability to call on them at the right time. This requires a gifted O mind running the offense.

Olinemen do not have to be a particular type, as the ball gets out fast and to every area of the field in an unpredictable manner. The WRs do not have to be the fastest as there are many short and intermediate routes that kill the D...if they are run precisely (timing included). The QB does not need the strongest arm but needs to know where all the receivers will be and how to read the D so he can choose the correct target. No D can key on any one player because the QB will see that happening and go elsewhere. Gore would be much more effective because he catches well and the D cannot stack the box as has been done to the 9ers consistently.

It's important to realize that Walsh came up with his system after working in and analyzing some of the most prolific offenses in football. Many of the other great offenses required dominance by the line or exceptional WRs, QBs, and /or RBs. The WCO is entertaining and effective with well coached players of lesser ability than any other system. Of course, this is my opinion, but I'll stick to it until I see some other system as good.
SF is on the WC, nuff said.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
SF is on the WC, nuff said.

...and there is that!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The WCO incorporates just about every type of play imaginable, but gives the coach and players the ability to call on them at the right time. This requires a gifted O mind running the offense.

Olinemen do not have to be a particular type, as the ball gets out fast and to every area of the field in an unpredictable manner. The WRs do not have to be the fastest as there are many short and intermediate routes that kill the D...if they are run precisely (timing included). The QB does not need the strongest arm but needs to know where all the receivers will be and how to read the D so he can choose the correct target. No D can key on any one player because the QB will see that happening and go elsewhere. Gore would be much more effective because he catches well and the D cannot stack the box as has been done to the 9ers consistently.

It's important to realize that Walsh came up with his system after working in and analyzing some of the most prolific offenses in football. Many of the other great offenses required dominance by the line or exceptional WRs, QBs, and /or RBs. The WCO is entertaining and effective with well coached players of lesser ability than any other system. Of course, this is my opinion, but I'll stick to it until I see some other system as good.

If we only had a coach who understands this.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,121
Steve Youngs interview said it all.
Outside of the qb position the wc fits our personnel perfectly.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,121
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The WCO incorporates just about every type of play imaginable, but gives the coach and players the ability to call on them at the right time. This requires a gifted O mind running the offense.

Olinemen do not have to be a particular type, as the ball gets out fast and to every area of the field in an unpredictable manner. The WRs do not have to be the fastest as there are many short and intermediate routes that kill the D...if they are run precisely (timing included). The QB does not need the strongest arm but needs to know where all the receivers will be and how to read the D so he can choose the correct target. No D can key on any one player because the QB will see that happening and go elsewhere. Gore would be much more effective because he catches well and the D cannot stack the box as has been done to the 9ers consistently.

It's important to realize that Walsh came up with his system after working in and analyzing some of the most prolific offenses in football. Many of the other great offenses required dominance by the line or exceptional WRs, QBs, and /or RBs. The WCO is entertaining and effective with well coached players of lesser ability than any other system. Of course, this is my opinion, but I'll stick to it until I see some other system as good.

What's funny before Rice and Taylor where here we had Clark, Solomon and Wilson as receivers...........not exactly speed burners.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,040
Also, look at teams like the Packers and Eagles. They have had the WCO in place for a long time and they have been pretty good for a long time. You notice how in Greenbay and Phili when the starting QB has gone down guys like Flynn, Detmer, Kolb, Feely, and Garcia have filled in and the teams usually do pretty well. The Raiders were good with the WCO (Gannon got an MVP because of the WCO), The Bucks won a Superbowl with the WCO.

The thing about it is that all these teams run it, but it started here in SF and we don't run it. It belongs here, bring it back and keep it. Get a good coach to install it and start another coaching tree with young up and commers who can keep it going.
It's all about the play caller during the game and how he practices the players during the week.

It's not about the WCO anymore. Watch the 92 cowboys in the second half versus us, Aikman was spreading the ball all over the field and Norv had them looking more balanced than us.

Get the right HC and an OC who knows how to set up the defense, use each and every play with a purpose even if the play doesn't bet gains and make not only halftime adjustments but in drive adjustments along with creating a new play on the fly.

You get this type of OC and it won't matter what offense we run. I don't think what Steve Yug said solves anything Bill Walsh was not about tradition. He was about innovation and outthinking opponents. If he was about tradition, Montana Craig and Lott would have ended their careers here.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,040
Originally posted by Joecool:
It's all about the play caller during the game and how he practices the players during the week.

It's not about the WCO anymore. Watch the 92 cowboys in the second half versus us, Aikman was spreading the ball all over the field and Norv had them looking more balanced than us.

Get the right HC and an OC who knows how to set up the defense, use each and every play with a purpose even if the play doesn't bet gains and make not only halftime adjustments but in drive adjustments along with creating a new play on the fly.

You get this type of OC and it won't matter what offense we run. I don't think what Steve Yug said solves anything Bill Walsh was not about tradition. He was about innovation and outthinking opponents. If he was about tradition, Montana Craig and Lott would have ended their careers here.


Norv uses alot of WCO in his own system.
I liked what Steve said about identity. Our identity was WCO. Heck it still is, but we aren't running it.

Here are my points in a nutshell:
1. Identity
2. Valuable coaching resources specifically film
3. Brings back the essence that made us great for fans and the push for the Stadium.
4. Brings back the greats for advice and involvement.
5. We need focus on offense now and this is a great place to start.

Remember that Billick assisted our late great Bill Walsh, RIP, in writing his famous book. I remember Billick talking about that in the Rams game I believe. I wondered to myself "Would he be a good fit?" I believe he would be he has had success as an OC in Minny and had a SB with Baltimore.

If anyone beside Gruden and Holmey who could use this treasure of WCO film to teach the players correctly how to run it, would be Billick. If I remember too, he did the Texans game last year and was impressed with how Alex went to the Spread successfully. He also mentioned that same thing in his last two games covering the Niners in that the Spread would be good to use with this cast of talent on offense.

He seemed like he knows what he's doing offensively already for us just as an analyst. Would he work with any GM including Baalke? I think so.

The WCO may come back and I, for one, surely would have open arms.