LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Underappreciated: Jim Tomsula

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
He should be promoted to DC. I think it is time to send Manusky packing. His pre-Week 1 interview still isn't sitting well with me. I think he was a part of the reason the season was a bust.

Aren't Carolina interviewing Manusky for their HC vacancy? Somewhat of a surprise to me!
ur right. we only allow 2, 90 yard rushers in the same game. But never a single guy for over 100.

BTW, a lot of that has to do with our two outstanding MLB's.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
He should be promoted to DC. I think it is time to send Manusky packing. His pre-Week 1 interview still isn't sitting well with me. I think he was a part of the reason the season was a bust.

Tomsula made Justin Smith into a great 3-4 DE. He also helped Sopoaga develop into the outstanding run DL he is now. He helped ressurect Franklin's career when it appeared he was dropping off. And now he's working to develop Jean-Francois.

I think at the very least, he must be kept as DL coach with the expectation that we're going to draft some young DL this year.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
ur right. we only allow 2, 90 yard rushers in the same game. But never a single guy for over 100.

BTW, a lot of that has to do with our two outstanding MLB's.

It's easy to nitpitck and say things like that which you can say for every other NFL team when calculating these streaks, but when it's for 22 (or is it 23 now?) straight games, an active NFL-leading streak, that kind of goes out the window. Especially when you watch the team shut down individuals like Stephen Jackson.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15:05 ]
how can we know that if Tomsula became DC, which Defense he would run?
We're gonna lose him
Tomsula has done an outstanding job, no questions. Let's have this conversation again when we have a ring or two.

It makes sense for him to stay, currently.
He is not.
Watching games live you can always see JH and Tomsula having brief discussions on the sidelines, especially after well crafted defensive plays are successful. There were several shots of he and JH during the Lions game. Where you this idea anyway?

Besides, anyone here think Harbaugh couldn't attract a very top tier Dline coach if he left? Come on....
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:40 AM ]
He will run no new defense coz Fangio aint goin nowhere, get it? This team is on a major rise, any coach that would want to leave before the rings come would be a fool and not worth keeping anyway....
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:45 AM ]
Tomsula is a position coach, so technically we would have to allow him to go. Only coordinators can move up while under contract.

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
He will run no new defense coz Fangio aint goin nowhere, get it? This team is on a major rise, any coach that would want to leave before the rings come would be a fool and not worth keeping anyway....

That's a nice thought, but coaches in this business tend not to turn down promotions just to stay on better teams. They always pursue the better opportunities.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
That's a nice thought, but coaches in this business tend not to turn down promotions just to stay on better teams. They always pursue the better opportunities.

It's understandable, but considering where this team is going why leave now? The defensive coordinator jobs aren't going anywhere. I'd a least wait for a ring or 2 championship game appearances (whichever comes first).
We need a gif of Tomsula fired up vs the Eagles.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
We need a gif of Tomsula fired up vs the Eagles.

Watching him after that play got me super hyphy
They interviewed him a few months back and he more or less said that he didn't want to be a HC, that he loved working with the guys in the trenches. He was a HC coach in NFL Europe and filled in for the Niners last year but he said thats not his cup of tea. He has the D-line fired up and playing very well and I think that is why they are doing so good. Keep up the good work coach.
Share 49ersWebzone