There are 229 users in the forums

Underappreciated: Jim Tomsula

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Among all the mass posts regarding the swirling speculation with the GM and head coach searches, I figured it would be refreshing to pay some attention to a little known guy who has made a big impact (pun intended) on this team. Tomsula is a guy who I wouldn't be surprised to eventually become a coordinator one day. The results speak for themselves.

Quote:
The effort Tomsula has given since joining the 49ers coaching staff in 2007 has shown up directly on the field. After limiting Rams running back Steven Jackson to just 48 yards on Sunday, the 49ers have not allowed a 100-yard rusher in an astounding 21 straight games.

Tomsula is a player's kind of coach, and they feed off his positive energy. In the recent article about him, you can tell he's very well respected both because of the person he is, but hugely because of the tremendous teacher he is. This is the kind of man we have to keep around this team. I hope no matter who we bring in, Tomsula is kept in some sort of role.

Quote:
“He’s an exciting guy to be around, always energetic, always happy,” said defensive end Ray McDonald, who is in his fourth season with Tomsula. “You want to be playing for a guy who’s always firing you up and being positive. He loves football and he loves to coach.”

. . .

“He breaks it down on your level,” nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin said. “Some guys learn different than others. Some guys are classroom guys and some learn through repetition. He’s willing to take the time and stay as long as it takes so you get the technique and the system down.”

Ladies and gents, I thought it was important to step aside from all the repetitive GM/Coach search hullabaloo, and pay special notice to a guy behind the scenes who has been helping this team more than many may realize. Here's to a fantastic coach, Mr. Jim Tomsula.

Excerpts Pulled From: http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Tomsula-Continues-to-Teach/a9222d5b-22d3-4f62-9b26-4ef568e2907f
  • Otter
  • Veteran

I've always liked Tomsula - he seems like he'd be a cool guy.
This was kind of the same feeling with Sing. Except instead of "positive energy" of Tomsula, Sing brought "motivation"....and at that time the players were drinking Sing's koole aide.

I like Tomsula though.
Originally posted by verb1der:
This was kind of the same feeling with Sing. Except instead of "positive energy" of Tomsula, Sing brought "motivation"....and at that time the players were drinking Sing's koole aide.

I like Tomsula though.

I like Tomsula, but wouldn't want him to be a head coach. I think that would be a little over his head. Someday maybe a coordinator, but he does a great job as a DL coach. Justin Smith's success, Franklin's improvement, and our overall DL play and stoutness against the run can be hugely attributed to Tomsula, and not Manusky.

Unlike Singletary, Tomsula builds the players up, and has extensive knowledge of the game's defensive intricacies. He's not a motivator, he's a teacher who just happens to be a positive guy that the players feed off of with that energy he brings. The fact that he was an NFL Europe Head Coach speaks volumes to his teaching ability, and developmental coaching ability. I sincerely hope he is kept on as at least DL coach or some sort of defensive assistant role.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke GM, Tomsula HC

Its gonna happen
Originally posted by susweel:
Baalke GM, Tomsula HC

Its gonna happen

Do not speak of such things. The more frugal way would be to just let Baalke be HC/GM/VP of Player Personnel. That's the ticket.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by susweel:
Baalke GM, Tomsula HC

Its gonna happen

Do not speak of such things. The more frugal way would be to just let Baalke be HC/GM/VP of Player Personnel. That's the ticket.

and OC and DC

I like Tomsula though.

I like Tomsula, but wouldn't want him to be a head coach. I think that would be a little over his head. Someday maybe a coordinator, but he does a great job as a DL coach. Justin Smith's success, Franklin's improvement, and our overall DL play and stoutness against the run can be hugely attributed to Tomsula, and not Manusky.

Unlike Singletary, Tomsula builds the players up, and has extensive knowledge of the game's defensive intricacies. He's not a motivator, he's a teacher who just happens to be a positive guy that the players feed off of with that energy he brings. The fact that he was an NFL Europe Head Coach speaks volumes to his teaching ability, and developmental coaching ability. I sincerely hope he is kept on as at least DL coach or some sort of defensive assistant role.

Agree with you, OTC. Last spring, I wrote a tongue-in-cheek futuristic article on this website, which reflected Tomsula as Niner HC in 2015 (with Nate Davis as Super Bowl winning QB). It was just a lark of an article. Bit I DO appreciate what Tomsula brings to the club. I would dare to liken his contributions to Bobb McKittrick, a no-nonsense line coach, whose team-influence can transcend his own position group and be a positive impact across the entire team. But, I don't see Tomsula as being interested in he PR side of the HC job. "Just football, ma'am,"

[ Edited by jimbagg on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:20:27 ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:

I like Tomsula though.

Agree with you, OTC. Last spring, I wrote a tongue-in-cheek futuristic article on this website, which reflected Tomsula as Niner HC in 2015 (with Nate Davis as Super Bowl winning QB). It was just a lark of an article. Bit I DO appreciate what Tomsula brings to the club. I would dare to liken his contributions to Bobb McKittrick, a no-nonsense line coach, whose team-influence can transcend his own position group and be a positive impact across the entire team. But, I don't see Tomsula as being interested in he PR side of the HC job. "Just football, ma'am,"

Exactly. He's just a football guy, lives and breathes every part of the game. Hopefully he sticks around for a long time.

Would it be a stretch to see Tomsula in the DC position next season? I'd like a more established NFL guy personally, but does anyone know if Tomsula is a guy projected to get interest from others in the league (in other words, would we need to promote him to keep him)?
Originally posted by thedude:
Would it be a stretch to see Tomsula in the DC position next season? I'd like a more established NFL guy personally, but does anyone know if Tomsula is a guy projected to get interest from others in the league (in other words, would we need to promote him to keep him)?

No idea about what the rest of the league thinks of Tomsula, but the guy was definitely our most visible assistant during games this year. I think I saw him more than Manusky, Johnson, and Raye this season.
He will be a HC one day.
He should be promoted to DC. I think it is time to send Manusky packing. His pre-Week 1 interview still isn't sitting well with me. I think he was a part of the reason the season was a bust.
I don't have a problem with Tomsula working his way up the ranks on defense. He is still quite a few years away though.
Share 49ersWebzone