LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 343 users in the forums

Same offensive format or should we switch?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hope people realize if we go to the Bill Walsh WCO system it could take a few years to get it implemented right. Our players could struggle learning it at first. It's hard to say what Mike Johnson and Jimmy Raye where using. I know Raye uses a version of the Air Coryell WCO but not sure what plays the team actually learned. We definitely learned a lot of running plays but the Air Coryell airs it out (kind of like SD) where Bill Walsh's WCO is more short passes that constitute for the run game.

Plus, not a whole lot of WCO offense QBs in the draft. Not sure if Washington still runs it, Standford does a version of it.... not too many QBs know it though. Most of them run option or spread. Also, don't think Palmer or Orton know the WCO. McNabb and Kolb do but both are shady. McNabb is on the downside of his career and Kolb is careless with the ball. Even if McNabb would play well for us he will be 35 before the season is over so he probably isn't a solution for more than a few years.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 30, 2010 at 08:08:51 ]
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
We need to go acquire an offense so we have something to switch from!!!
Switch for sure! No more power back crap that the Niners have run for the past 5 years.

Bill Walsh offense for sure!
Originally posted by boast:
Harbaugh's Hybrid

What exactly is Harbaugh's Hybrid? I know he runs the pro offense. But is he top heavy on pass plays. West coast type offense or launch's it deep?
The one that:

Uses the talent actually available, all of it. No talent sitting and "learning".

Is innovative and hard for other teams to prepare for.

Is fun to watch and actually works in the real world.

Causes cheers, not jeers and boos, from the home fans, and silence on the road.

Results in intelligent and interesting press conferences that don't involve glaring at reporters and where the coach knows what happened without watching film on that 1964 TV set.

Lastly, the nutcracker hill should be fenced off and preserved as a reminder that in our recent history a coach actually thought this was a good idea.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Goldrushknight:
Harbaugh's Hybrid

What exactly is Harbaugh's Hybrid? I know he runs the pro offense. But is he top heavy on pass plays. West coast type offense or launch's it deep?

it's a West Coast hybrid
as long as we are playing to our players strengths

i know it sounds obvious but past 2 years we havent been doing that
Harbaugh's Hybrid

it's a West Coast hybrid

What is the difference between a West Coast offense and Harbaugh's West Cost hybrid?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by littleken:
Harbaugh's Hybrid

it's a West Coast hybrid

What is the difference between a West Coast offense and Harbaugh's West Cost hybrid?

Harbaugh's WCO depends a little more on running the ball than a traditional WCO.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Harbaugh's Hybrid

it's a West Coast hybrid

Harbaugh's WCO depends a little more on running the ball than a traditional WCO.

I'd say it leans more towards the Shanahan version.

Heavy run game.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
West Coast offense

We return to what we know. We return to what we want. We return to what made us great.

However style it is run we don't care as long as we return to the WCO. Then we wear the red & gold with a bit more pride.
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:
Heavy run game.

Mike is that You?
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Harbaugh's Hybrid

it's a West Coast hybrid

I'd say it leans more towards the Shanahan version.

Spot on I agree.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I want to be able to run the ball even when the defense knows we are gonna run the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone