LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

Stop Bashing Jed York!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The team he apparently wants to emulate is the Falcons.

Arthur Blank fired Dan Reeves, Jim Mora, and Bobby Petrino before finding a good coach in Mike Smith.

Detroit promoted Martin Mayhew (an internal hire) to GM which was met with skepticism from the fans. Are they headed in the right direction?

Ditto Tampa Bay replacing Jon Gruden/Bruce Allen with Mark Dominik and Raheem Morris.

Really none of us have no way of knowing and I'm not making excuses or defending anybody.
Jed deserves EVERY ounce of criticism he gets.

First and foremost because he is the boss and the buck stops with him. The team has had an awful season most recently, and under his reign our front office, coaching and even players have been in complete turmoil.

Firings, people leaving for "personal" reasons, others quitting on the team or demanding to be traded/cut.

There has been no success or stability since he took over. He bought into his own and Sings type and it backfired on him terribly.

And now he isn't smart enough to bring in any experience from outside the organization to help right the ship.

Instead he wants to make the same mistake of relying on himself, Baalke (both completely inexperienced at being a President/GM in the NFL) and a rookie coach who is the "next hot thing", but also has not experience as a HC in the NFL.

Sooner or later he has to learn that wishful thinking and just WANTING to win doesn't get it done. You need SOMEONE in the organization that actually KNOWS how to win.

Every successful organization in the NFL has some kind of stability and experience that serves as a rudder for the organization. Be it ownership, front office, coaching, etc..

We have none and continue to not every try to have any. Instead we just on every new bandwagon GM, HC, and internal option to fix things, and are shocked when it doesn't work.

If Jed can't see the forest for the trees, and can't or won't bring in some experienced talent to help stabilize this organization, then he deserves all the bashing he gets because we will continue to struggle.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

First and foremost because he is the boss and the buck stops with him. The team has had an awful season most recently, and under his reign our front office, coaching and even players have been in complete turmoil.

Firings, people leaving for "personal" reasons, others quitting on the team or demanding to be traded/cut.

There has been no success or stability since he took over. He bought into his own and Sings type and it backfired on him terribly.

And now he isn't smart enough to bring in any experience from outside the organization to help right the ship.

Instead he wants to make the same mistake of relying on himself, Baalke (both completely inexperienced at being a President/GM in the NFL) and a rookie coach who is the "next hot thing", but also has not experience as a HC in the NFL.

Sooner or later he has to learn that wishful thinking and just WANTING to win doesn't get it done. You need SOMEONE in the organization that actually KNOWS how to win.

Every successful organization in the NFL has some kind of stability and experience that serves as a rudder for the organization. Be it ownership, front office, coaching, etc..

We have none and continue to not every try to have any. Instead we just on every new bandwagon GM, HC, and internal option to fix things, and are shocked when it doesn't work.

If Jed can't see the forest for the trees, and can't or won't bring in some experienced talent to help stabilize this organization, then he deserves all the bashing he gets because we will continue to struggle.

hater
Originally posted by FL9er:
The team he apparently wants to emulate is the Falcons.

Arthur Blank fired Dan Reeves, Jim Mora, and Bobby Petrino before finding a good coach in Mike Smith.

Detroit promoted Martin Mayhew (an internal hire) to GM which was met with skepticism from the fans. Are they headed in the right direction?

Ditto Tampa Bay replacing Jon Gruden/Bruce Allen with Mark Dominik and Raheem Morris.

Really none of us have no way of knowing and I'm not making excuses or defending anybody.

I've got more faith in established businessmen and experienced organizational leaders like Arthur Blank and Malcolm Glazer to know and promote good, in house, talent when they see one.

A young guy like Jed York who got handed the keys to the franchise by his mommy and daddy - not so much.

[ Edited by Bluefalcon61 on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:48:24 ]

I am curious on what your ideal scenario is, and I don't mean "bring in experience" Give specific names!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
I've got more faith in established businessmen and experienced organizational leaders like Arthur Blank and Malcolm Glazer to know and promote good, in house, talent when they see one.

A young guy like Jed York who got handed the keys to the franchise by his mommy and daddy - not so much.

Please.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TrailerParkMan:
I remember when his uncle took over the 49ers. . . He acted decisively and hired a very well known, been there done that, type of guy: Joe Thomas. Before he was "Eddie D" he was getting the same reception Jed is now. Eddie DeBartolo was hated for bringing in Joe Thomas and creating a disaster of losing and coaching turnover (remember Pete McCulley?). OJ Simpson, Tom Owen, Scott Bull. . . . A ruined Jim Plunkett. Eddie D got lucky with Bill Walsh. Jed can do the same. In fact we are in a much better talent position now. Bill Walsh inherited a 2-14 team.

Joe Thomas was a disaster, at least it was only a two year disaster. You cannot compare Eddie to Jed, Eddie used money to gain every advantage he could get. Jed doesn't have the check book and his parents are cheap. The Yorks have earned the cheap stamp, anyone who disagrees is blind. Their is a minimum salary cap, that is about what the Yorks spend. Look at the GM hire, I am sure money was the #1 issue.

Please.

Please what?

You can't be a dumb box of rocks to rise as founders, owners, or CEOs of major businesses. These guys have a portfolio of organizational success, along with business moves of dubious effectiveness through their years to be sure, but bottom line they have the years of experience and are successes on their own merit.

Please.

Please what?

You can't be a dumb box of rocks to rise as founders, owners, or CEOs of major businesses. These guys have a portfolio of organizational success, along with business moves of dubious effectiveness through their years to be sure, but bottom line they have the years of experience and are successes on their own merit.

Where have you been?

Eddie got busted and handed the team to York. Where are their years of experience?

And yes, you can be a dumb box of rocks and rise to the top. Or don't you remember our former president.
Originally posted by 9eridiot:

Please.

Please what?

Where have you been?

Eddie got busted and handed the team to York. Where are their years of experience?

And yes, you can be a dumb box of rocks and rise to the top. Or don't you remember our former president.

I don't know you as a poster but my sarcasm meter is pinging with you. Or you are just plain incoherent.

Are you referring to John York? I wasn't.

GWB's presidential legacy will be of general failure but it is an oversimplification to characterize him as an organizational "dumb box of rocks."

all I can tell you is that the 49ers are becoming the redskins of the west coast, i live here in the dc area and this new gm please give me a break, and then not securing davis, please I cannot take another season with alex smith or troy, they are both back ups at best.
Originally posted by 9eridiot:

Please.

Please what?

Where have you been?

I don't know you as a poster but my sarcasm meter is pinging with you. Or you are just plain incoherent.

Are you referring to John York? I wasn't.

GWB's presidential legacy will be of general failure but it is an oversimplification to characterize him as an organizational "dumb box of rocks."

Sorry about that - my apologies. I apparently need to work on reading comprehension.
Why not?
His FB knowledge.......=0
If he doesn't blow it I will rave and celebrate
But I'll believe it when
1) I see a QB throw a short accurate pass (which I believe Hill (Troy?) could do)
2) all the rest follows

[ Edited by animal on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:39:13 ]
Originally posted by SJniner7:

I am curious on what your ideal scenario is, and I don't mean "bring in experience" Give specific names!

There are a litany of options. It could be Baalke in his current role, with an experienced GM and Harbaugh. As to who the GM should be?
Tom Heckert, Rich McKay, Charlie Casserly, etc. Someone who has been a GM before, or if not, has been in their position for while with a successful team and has at least SEEN how it's done properly.

Or, go with Baalke as GM, but then go with an experienced coach, who will bring an experienced staff and NFL success and connections to the table. Someone like Billick, Gruden, Cowher, etc...

Or even, fine, Baalke as GM and Harbaugh as coach. I don't even have a problem with that. IF, and ONLY IF, you bring in a HOFO and a player personnel guy (whether you give him the VP title or not) who provides that experience and knowledge of what successful, stable teams have done to get that way.

Obviously a Parcells, who was one of Baalkes mentors comes to mind. Beyond that maybe a Schottenheimer or Dan Reeves even. Or possibly even some name I don't know. I'm not saying I'm the guru of NFL front office talent.

Just that we need SOMEONE at SOME position who has the experience to help guide an organization full of young, potentially talented people. It's not that I don't believe in any of our people, just that I know from real world experience, that it REALLY helps to have the guidance of someone who has actually done it before.

That tends to be more valuable than any belief that you can do it, desire to do it, new idea of how to do it or simple wishful thinking that you'd like to do it.

Now, combining successful experience, with drive, desire, new ideas and passion is awesome. But you need a combination of those factors.

Experience alone doesn't win. Because things change and you need fresh ideas and enthusiasm. But new ideas without structure and the proper leadership tend to fail because they don't get implemented properly.

You need the right combination, and for YEARS now, we have refused to bring in any experienced, successful personnel, at ANY level. And at this point, I can only surmise that it's because our current leadership is afraid to hear from someone who knows better how wrong they are and what mistakes they've made.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just because his parents weren't cut out to do the job doesn't mean he can't. Obviously he cares about this team and wants to do the best he can to turn it around. Give him a chance!

Share 49ersWebzone