LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 430 users in the forums

Greg Manusky Stay or Go

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
If they let him go, I'd say Tomsula would be a great candidate for DC. He did it in NFL-E for two seasons...and while that's not the NFL, he did develop a number of players who made successful transitions to the NFL. He's a hands-on coach...the players love the guy and he's earned a promotion.

I'd say that depends on who's available. A Wade Philips wouldn't interest you as DC?
got to go, we need a 4-3
Wade Phillips...maybe, although he lost the Dallas defense, somehow. They're a pretty talented group, but he wasn't getting the best out of them. Neither is Garrett, but the point is, maybe Wade has lost some of his mojo. The reason I like Tomsula is the players already know and respect him and his abilities. JT is ready to be a DC, I'm telling you. He'd be more aggressive than Manusky...he's just a coach with a lot to offer, certainly more than a DL coach.
He's got to go. I don't see what the big deal is with this guy. His secondary is terrible, he can't get a pass-rush, and he can't stop a screen! They have a good run defense but I'd put that more down to the D-line play then the scheme.
Stay. And get him some freaking pass rushers.

Wade Phillips or whoever else wont make a bit of difference until we get some OLB's that can consistently get after the QB.
Stay.

I bet we regret it if he goes.
Wade Phillips...maybe, although he lost the Dallas defense, somehow. They're a pretty talented group, but he wasn't getting the best out of them. Neither is Garrett, but the point is, maybe Wade has lost some of his mojo. The reason I like Tomsula is the players already know and respect him and his abilities. JT is ready to be a DC, I'm telling you. He'd be more aggressive than Manusky...he's just a coach with a lot to offer, certainly more than a DL coach.

Wade Phillips doesn't coach the defense, he's the head coach. Just because that is your background doesn't mean that side of the ball will ALWAYS do well. He's failed as a HC before, but he has always been good to great as a defensive coordinator. Plus, I think the buzzword around the 49ers for the most part is experience. We know what we are getting in a Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, John Fox (If these last two are available).
It's hard to say. I don't know how much Singletary's ultra conservative approach effected his play calling. I found myself very frustrated with our 3rd down defense against screens and routes under or at 1st down line.

I think Manusky should go. It comes down to being out classed more often then not against the opposing teams OC in critical situations.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Wade Phillips doesn't coach the defense, he's the head coach. Just because that is your background doesn't mean that side of the ball will ALWAYS do well. He's failed as a HC before, but he has always been good to great as a defensive coordinator. Plus, I think the buzzword around the 49ers for the most part is experience. We know what we are getting in a Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, John Fox (If these last two are available).

it wont be a good idea to hire fox, he will either get another hc job this off season or the following yr
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
How many game winning drives did our D give up this year?

GTFO

At this point your opinions don't count. Whoever the new HC is will make that decision so anything you point out is just BS.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

it wont be a good idea to hire fox, he will either get another hc job this off season or the following yr

Agreed, and I feel similarly about Marvin Lewis. His team went flat this year but they had some success in years past so he'll get another shot somewhere. Wade has pretty much proven he's a good DC only.

I say if theyre gonna attempt to do things the right way i say get rid of the DC too and bring in somebody with plenty of years of experience under his belt to lead our defense.
A team with this talent level should have won 10 or 11 games this season and walked away from the "competition" in the NFC WORST!
ANY COACH on a staff that allows this level of under achievement can be replaced! These coaches are not "one of a kind geniuses" they can be replaced.

It is as it should be, the new GM will pick the the Head Coach.
The new Head Coach will choose his staff, and anyone from this staff that is let go should not be missed, or regretted!
Share 49ersWebzone