There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Manusky Stay or Go

Give him some help in the secondary, so he can afford to blitz. We play a soft zone and rely on our LBs to fall back (or line-up well off the LOS) because our CBs can't play man coverage and our safeties aren't dependable over the top.

The Ravens are having similar problems, but they're able to hide it better. Their secondary can't cover anyone and that's with an elite front seven and Ed Reed playing centerfield. Without cover corners, all teams have to do is continue to spread us out and throw on us. It's no secret. We see it on nearly every 3rd down.

It doesn't matter who else we bring in. They won't be able to change the fact that our secondary can't stop the pass. That's a personnel issue, not a coaching issue.

Manusky should stay.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Get this piece of trash out here...soft 34 defense..never come back
we lost 4 games this season because of him...gtfo. Hated him more than singletary. This clown should have been fired when his d calling let carolina march down the field and beat us

wade phillips cmon down

[ Edited by dmax on Dec 28, 2010 at 07:32:35 ]
Send him packing.

The run defense was good, but I credit that more to Tomsula's coaching of the d-line then I do to Manusky.

Greg couldn't scheme to save his live.
We need an attacking style defense. Did you see how much the Falcon's blitzed Brees last night? They put him under tremendous pressure all night. Any other non-elite quarterback would have folded.
I guess my question is...is it Manusky or the players he has that cause the defense to be great one minute, awful the next. I'd say it's probably some combination of the two...one thing I know...both the DL and secondary need upgrading. I've said it many times, but it bears repeating...when you compare our DL with those of the better 3-4 defenses, it just doesn't measure up, outside Justin Smith. That's a major factor...the better DL's get consistent push up front...their DL can pressure the pocket/QB and stop the run. Ours just can't. It's also true our OLB's are inconsistent pass rushers...I'm in favor of sacking Haralson, he's not producing up to his potential. Keep your eye on Thaddeus Gibson, whom they signed off waivers from the Steelers. He's got enormous potential. Then, there's the secondary...no secret we need an upgrade at CB. There's also Goldson...another guy not playing up to what the team felt was his true potential. One solution might be to put Clements at SS, where he could take better advantage of his very good tackling abilities. I think Mays is the heir apparent at FS...he still has a lot to learn, but his potential's off the charts. In a nutshell, Manusky really doesn't have some of the players he needs to make his schemes more effective. So, I'd lean toward keeping him and upgrading the positions I just mentioned.
A good experienced DC generally has a good talent evaluator in him to get the type of players that would be good for his defense. Not sure that Manusky has that. Pretty sure Wade Phillips has it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I guess my question is...is it Manusky or the players he has that cause the defense to be great one minute, awful the next. I'd say it's probably some combination of the two...one thing I know...both the DL and secondary need upgrading. I've said it many times, but it bears repeating...when you compare our DL with those of the better 3-4 defenses, it just doesn't measure up, outside Justin Smith. That's a major factor...the better DL's get consistent push up front...their DL can pressure the pocket/QB and stop the run. Ours just can't. It's also true our OLB's are inconsistent pass rushers...I'm in favor of sacking Haralson, he's not producing up to his potential. Keep your eye on Thaddeus Gibson, whom they signed off waivers from the Steelers. He's got enormous potential. Then, there's the secondary...no secret we need an upgrade at CB. There's also Goldson...another guy not playing up to what the team felt was his true potential. One solution might be to put Clements at SS, where he could take better advantage of his very good tackling abilities. I think Mays is the heir apparent at FS...he still has a lot to learn, but his potential's off the charts. In a nutshell, Manusky really doesn't have some of the players he needs to make his schemes more effective. So, I'd lean toward keeping him and upgrading the positions I just mentioned.

It's a mixture of both. I think Manusky is way too passive and is way too vanilla. Plays way too much zone and never seems to make any real in game adjustments. You are correct though that the talent needs to be vastly upgraded. The entire secondary can be replaced. Nothing wrong with Spencer as a #2 CB, or making Nate the slot guy or whatever but they need a top level CB on the roster. All of the safeties are a liability. Though Nate is a good tackler he's too easily fooled on double moves to be SS. It would require a major pay cut and asking a vet to switch positions, which he may not be comfortable with. And both OLBer's can be replaced. If they sticking with the 3-4 it's time to get some real olb'ers who can blitz and cover. Instead of having to use 6 different players who all combined still aren't cutting it. D line does need to be upgraded but it's one of the better parts of the d3efesne right now. they should be working on a replacement for J smith b/c he's not gonna be this active forever. Still not sure what they have in RJF.
Manusky is a great coach! It would be dumb to let him go! The problem with people on here is that they blame the DC for poor player execution! Its not manusky's fault celements and spencer miss wide open tackles! We play zone because our DB's can't play man to man coverage! 3-4 is a better scheme because you can disguise blitz's! And anyone who thinks we are going to switch is laughable cause we are built for a 3-4 and our D is almost there!
it's been made clear that the new GM and HC will have full control over who stays and who goes. I'd assume any HC you bring in will have coordinators he want's in mind.
There are better more experienced coaches out there right now. Let Manusky go and get a new one. Nothing wrong with upgrading a coach if you can get it. And if there are changes to be made with the guys on the field, than what better to get a coach who has experience and eyes for talent to get those new players in. The defense this year was very inconsistent. Sometimes they make inept offenses look like world champs.

I don't follow the Packers all that much. But is it any accident that they signed Capers in 2009. This year they are one of the better team in the NFC.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 28, 2010 at 08:20:49 ]
He should go. I think we can do better. As was referenced above, Manusky's only saving grace is that his defenses are good against the run. And now thinking about that, I do believe that is more so due to Tomsula than Manusky.

Manusky routinely gets out-schemed against non-divisional opponents. This is by far his biggest downfall.

-9fA
  • boast
  • All City
GO! GTFO!

4th quarter defense has been terrible the past few seasons.
If the next Head Coach has a 4-3 philosophy, he'll be gone regardless. All of his coaching experience is in the 3-4.

If they let him go, I'd say Tomsula would be a great candidate for DC. He did it in NFL-E for two seasons...and while that's not the NFL, he did develop a number of players who made successful transitions to the NFL. He's a hands-on coach...the players love the guy and he's earned a promotion.
Just like most people on here, I can't decide on this. Last year this defense was 4th in the NFL in sacks, top 5 in PA, and top 5 in rushing yards against. However, this year those numbers are not that good. But, a lot can be attributed to guys like Clements and Brown showing their inability to cover, and the same can be said for Goldson and Mays/Smith. Last year our defense worked because of our scheme. The same can be said for the Jets, as they do not have any good pass rushers on that team, just like us. Now, the Jets pass rush is struggling as well, and so is their defense overall.

Point is, you need great players, your coaching scheme is only going to hold up for so long until other teams figure out how to beat it. So I say, from what Manusky has shown with the lack of talent he had to work with, he deserve a shot to stay as our DC; plus, he knows our players very well and understands how to use this lack of talent on defense, to make us look respectable at least.