LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Greg Manusky Stay or Go

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Would like to see a very aggressive confusing (to the offense) defense and that would not be Manusky's specialty. Stanford's D was very disciplined and creative which would help the 9er players. The main question would be do the 9ers players fit in a creative D? Do they have the football IQs to learn the complexities? Same is true with the O. If the WRs couldn't run the simple routes last year what will they do when the shifting begins? Ouch! There were numerous games last year when time outs had to be used because they were not in the correct places.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 7, 2011 at 15:23:17 ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Once again, the problem is our secondary, not our front seven, changing our front seven will do absolutely jack s**t for our secondary.

Its the complete opposite. We don't need to retool the entire front 7 but we need to get pressure whether it comes from different blitzes or better pass rushers.

I think he should go. He has help upgrade our D from what it was but I think we should be better than what we have been.

[ Edited by redmanc07 on Jan 7, 2011 at 19:46:18 ]
From what I'm hearing, he has a decent chance to become the Carolina head coach...they seem to like him a lot. If so, then it makes it a little easier for Harbaugh to either bring his DC from Stanford or someone else. I still like the idea of Tomsula as DC..think he'd be excellent.
forget manusky, let harbaugh bring in his stanford dc. i like his aggressive defense
let him leave. his defense is garbage. he just lets teams dink and dunk us down the field. screen passes, playing off the receivers all the time, decent blitzes maybe twice a game, 4 deep zone.

i find it hard to believe manusky had NO SAY in this and was just following samurai mikes direction
I thought Greg did a good job as a defensive coordinator with the players he had for us. I doubt he will get the Carolina head coaching job or any other team's head coaching vacancy this year. Arizona may be a possible destination for Greg. According to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, "Whisenhunt has long sought to install a defensive similar to the 3-4 scheme used by LeBeau" (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/06/20110106arizona-cardinals-fire-defensive-coordinator-bill-davis.html) Of course, Manusky is use to a 3-4 scheme with San Diego and San Fran. Good thing we will have mostly a brand new coaching staff coming in so Greg can't give any hints to the Tards. I am kind of leery of Vic Fangio because in Oscar Aparicio's article, "Give Credit Where Credit Is Due: Post Press Conference Thoughts", Vic's defense coordinator job's in the NFL are ranked as follows using Football Outsiders metric called DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) that takes each individual play and charts it's success against the league average for that situation.

1995: 5th
1996: 6th
1997: 23rd
1998: 21st
1999: 27th
2000: 23rd
2001: 29th
2002: 20th
2003: 29th
2004: 18th
2005: 32nd

'95 and '96 was great but the rest of the years are kind of scary. We are talking about 15 years ago when he had a good defense. You can't count Stanford stats because college doesn't compare to the NFL.
My apologies if this has already been posted.

The lastest news is that Coach Harbaugh's bringing in Vic Fangio to be the next 49ers D-Coordinator.

Honestly, I don't know squat about Fangio's coaching ability. However, I do know that Greg Manusky is a quiality D-Coordinator.

Are Harbaugh and Manusky not on the same page as far as defensive schemes? Are we going to stay with a highbrid 3-4, or switch to a 4-3?

If anyone can shed some light on this topic, please do so.
Well, Harbaugh still needs to meet with the current staff. Meanwhile, Manusky has/had an interview for the Panthers' coaching job.

Fangio could potentially come here if Manusky goes and/or Harbaugh wants his own defensive coordinator.

I'm alright with either guy.
Defense has under performed he needs to go. Can't cover and tired of seeing our corners playing 10 yrds off. Bring in Vic baby!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Fangio an 3-4 D at Stanfurd. Very aggressive, saw it up close when they played at Cal

[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:35:47 ]

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Defense has under performed he needs to go. Can't cover and tired of seeing our corners playing 10 yrds off. Bring in Vic baby!

is that because of coaching or the players? i think it has more to do with the latter
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I remember him as DC for the Colts but not so sure how his D did when he was there.
Vic Fangio is a great college DC, but his NFL denfenses have not done well. A few ranked near to dead last.

I'm not looking forward to him replacing Manunsky. I have a feeling our D will become a bigger problem than it already is.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
I remember him as DC for the Colts but not so sure how his D did when he was there.

I looked him up. His defenses were ranked 15th, 19th? and 25th? (or something like that).

But he's held other coordinator positions. I haven't seen his other work.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

is that because of coaching or the players? i think it has more to do with the latter

We don't have stars but we have a good enough unit to be able to put up a solid defense; the problem was scheming. Whether that was Manusky's problem or Singeltary's we'll probably never know now.
Share 49ersWebzone