LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 194 users in the forums

Greg Manusky Stay or Go

Shop Find 49ers gear online
go
Manusky is a great defensive coordinator and I hope the 49ers are fortunate enough to keep him.
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Manusky is a great defensive coordinator and I hope the 49ers are fortunate enough to keep him.

Great?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
This thread was sneaky, I scrolled down to check that no other Manusky threads were going before I wrote mine and I didn't see it :/ I would think we would be better off moving on from Manusky. Kind of like the Lions and how they feel next year now that they have literally removed all traces of Matt Millen killing their franchise.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

I disagree. His run defence is solid but other than that the coverage he employs is well pitiful. We constantly got torched on the big play.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Envy:

I disagree. His run defence is solid but other than that the coverage he employs is well pitiful. We constantly got torched on the big play.

That is why I don't like him. That shell coverage crap doesn't work at all.
i hope he goes to carolina and trades us the #1 pick.. we win teh championshipzz
i hope he goes
I want a Gregg Williams type DC. Forcing turnovers and blitzing from everywhere.
I say go. I want Harbaugh to bring Fangio along from Stanford.

As posted previously in the HC thread:
Quote:
Coaching Career
1979-81 Dunmore H.S. Linebackers/Defensive Coordinator
1982 Milford Academy Defensive Coordinator
1983 North Carolina Graduate Assistant
1984-85 Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars Defensive Assistant
1986-94 New Orleans Saint Linebackers
1995-98 Carolina Panthers Defensive Coordinator
1999-01 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator
2002-05 Houston Texans Defensive Coordinator
2006-08 Baltimore Ravens Special Assistant to Head Coach
2009 Baltimore Raves Special Assistant to Head Coach/Linebackers

Vic Fangio enters his first season at Stanford's defensive coordinator after spending the previous 24 years coaching in the NFL, including the last four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

He also has 11 years of experience as a defensive coordinator for three NFL teams, including the Carolina Panthers, Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans.

Fangio joined the Ravens coaching staff as a special assistant to the head coach in 2006, with primary duties on the defensive side of the ball. In his four seasons with Baltimore, the Ravens led the NFL in total defense in 2006, was second in 2008 and third in 2009.

Prior to joining the Ravens, Fangio spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans (2002-05). His 2002 defense ranked eighth in the AFC and fourth in the conference in pass defense. The Texans scored three defensive touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Week 14 en route to a 24-6 victory.

In 2004, the Texans set a team record with 22 interceptions, which ranked fifth in the NFL, and returned five picks for touchdowns. Houston did not allow a touchdown for 13 straight quarters from Week 13 to 16, which was the longest stretch by any team in the league that season.

From 1999-2001, he served as the defensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts posted a 13-3 record in Fangio's first season with the team after going just 6-26 the previous two seasons. Indianpolis won its first division title in 15 years while the Colt defensive unit improved from last to 15th under his guidance.

The 2000 Colt defense tallied 42 sacks and made strides in all other statistical categories.

In 1995, Fangio was named defensive coordinator for the expansion Carolina Panthers under head coach Dom Capers. The Panthers tied for seventh in total defense and ranked sixth in scoring defense, 10th in rushing defense, fifth in takeaways and second in defensive passer rating in its inaugural season.

In 1996, the Panthers won the NFC West title and reached the NFC Championship game in just their second year of existence. The Panther defense allowed just 218 points on the year, which ranked second in the NFL. Carolina also yielded just five touchdowns and 56 points after halftime for the season, an NFL record that still stands today. Fangio's defense featured three All-Pro linebackers in Lamar Lathon, Sam Mills and Kevin Greene.

Fangio also spent nine seasons starting in 1986, as the linebackers coach of the New Orleans Saints. In his second season, the Saints advanced to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history in 1987 and came back the following year to finish with a 10-6 record. Fangio coached the vaunted "Dome Patrol," which included All-Pro linebackers Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Sam Mills and Vaughan Johnson. The group was the only linebackers unit from one team voted to the Pro Bowl on the first ballot and was voted the best linebacker unit in NFL history by the NFL Network.

After attending East Stroudsburg University, Fangio began his coaching career in 1979 as the linebackers coach at Dunmore (Pa.) High School and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 1980. He spent one season (1982) as the defensive coordinator at Milford (Conn.) Academy before landing his first collegiate coaching position at the University of North Carolina, where he served as a graduate assistant in 1983.

Following a one-year stay in Chapel Hill, Fangio spent the 1984 and '85 seasons as a defensive assistant with the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars of the USFL, helping the team to back-to-back league titles.

Fangio attended Dunmore (Pa.) High School and was inducted into the Northeast Pennsylvania Hall of Fame in 1993. Vic has one son, Christian, and one daughter, Cassie.
Linkage

• Antix
  • Veteran
I say go.

I know the offense doesn't help the defense, but our corners play too far off waaay too much and we havent gotten pressure on a QB in 8 years.
he can go
is he gone yet?
go
get Capers.. please
Share 49ersWebzone