LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Kawakami: Alex Smith is Good Just In Time to Play Somewhere Else

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.

keep 1 QB from the current roster
draft a QB high (if not 1st than 2nd or no later than 3rd round)
sign a veteran free agent with a lot of NFL starts to compete as starter if the rookie is not ready, or back him up if he is...

an example of this using actual QBs:

Jake Locker
Kerry Collins
Troy Smith

doesn't have to be this, that's just one example...

other possibilites for the draft pick would be Cam Newton, Andrew Luck (if we're lucky lol get it?)
other possibilites for the free agent would be Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck, Peyton Manning (yeah right, but a man can dream)
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Notorious Smith-Hater Kawakami says that Alex Smith is turning it on as a mature quarterback just in time to go play elsewhere...his argument is why would anyone want to stay with this franchise?

I really, REALLY don't want to see Alex Smith throw for 4,000 yards in Minnesota next year...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/12/12/alex-smith-the-return-2/

He has exactly ONE good game -- and suddenly he's gonna throw for 4,000 yards for some other team not named the 49ers?

And then you wonder why we consider some Alexcusionists to be delusional?

Let's see two -- no make it four -- straight games of lights out play first -- before we label the dude as "the next great thing."
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

sign a veteran free agent with a lot of NFL starts to compete as starter if the rookie is not ready, or back him up if he is...

Jake Locker
Kerry Collins
Troy Smith

other possibilites for the draft pick would be Cam Newton, Andrew Luck (if we're lucky lol get it?)
other possibilites for the free agent would be Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck, Peyton Manning (yeah right, but a man can dream)
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll play devils advocate with it.

With the unsettled starting role in Tenn, it is VERY unlikely Kerry Collins will be allowed to leave. He is well settled in Nashville, even getting a start in the country music world just having written a song that is getting some play there. Lots of reasons why he wouldn't leave.

McNabb is interesting though nothing like his glory days. Don't think Snyder will part with him.

Hasselback will be retained to tutor a new rookie in Seattle, but after Sunday, why would we want him?

I'm OK with letting Troy and Nate Davis compete for a roster spot but not optimistic about either as being a part of the future.

That brings us back to who would be the starter until Locker gets up to speed. ??? I have been watching QBs around the league very closely ever since Alex got hurt and there just isn't anybody out there that would be as good as what we have now that will not cost a LOT in trade.

Now let me come back to you with a question. Rate the needs of the team:

QB

pass rush

CB

If you will agree with me that all three of those are critical needs on the team, and given that QB is the most important position on the team, which of those other two needs are you willing to push back to a future draft in order to solve the need for an interim QB to play until Locker gets ready?
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:19 PM ]
I'm not a huge fan of Alex, but really we should be Hoping Alex shows alot these next few games. The free agent QB crop...is... and I don't want a QB in the first two rounds unless its Luck or Cam Newton. I want our DEFENSE FIXED. We're not going to beat anybody until we solidify at least One side of the ball. Troy Smith with an off-season to prepare, Nate Davis taking his job seriously, and trusty old Alex would do if we could get some defensive backs in here.
Quote:
He found a wide open Brian Westbrook, who turned and ran for a 62-yard score that made it 27-7, game over. A tricky play that the 49ers have almost never pulled off in Smith’s tenure.

In some ways, that felt like the first pass of the rest of Alex Smith’s career. He’s 26, has been through six offensive coordinators, two head coaches and several bad injuries.

Thought this was kind of a cool line.

I havent always agreed with Tim but I do agree with him in that Alex did look different this Sunday. Like Tim says...it's like he knows he's done with the 49ers so he doesn't "care" anymore. No more pressure, etc. He's just going to go out there and play for his buddies (VD, Gore, Morgan, the linemen, etc).

What we will get is actual wining seasons... No more of this lose first 8 games...Then win 4 meanless games crap.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:
He found a wide open Brian Westbrook, who turned and ran for a 62-yard score that made it 27-7, game over. A tricky play that the 49ers have almost never pulled off in Smith’s tenure.

In some ways, that felt like the first pass of the rest of Alex Smith’s career. He’s 26, has been through six offensive coordinators, two head coaches and several bad injuries.

I havent always agreed with Tim but I do agree with him in that Alex did look different this Sunday. Like Tim says...it's like he knows he's done with the 49ers so he doesn't "care" anymore. No more pressure, etc. He's just going to go out there and play for his buddies (VD, Gore, Morgan, the linemen, etc).

I don't think that's why he played well. He usually plays well when his back is to the wall with nowhere to run. The problem is, he plays like crap when he's in a comfortable situation, which will happen more often than being against the wall. He was never challenged with any other QB until Troy Smith opened up Alex's eyes.

I don't like the fact that he only plays well when he's miffed because that tells me he isn't trying his best most of the time.
Quote:

I don't like the fact that he only plays well when he's miffed because that tells me he isn't trying his best most of the time.

So now Alex is a no effort hack when he's...comfortable?

Notorious Smith-Hater Kawakami says that Alex Smith is turning it on as a mature quarterback just in time to go play elsewhere...his argument is why would anyone want to stay with this franchise?

I really, REALLY don't want to see Alex Smith throw for 4,000 yards in Minnesota next year...

4,000 yards?

Quote:

So now Alex is a no effort hack when he's...comfortable?

Why does he play so much better and with more focus when he's miffed? You've seen him in games when there's really not much pressure when he does that "ho hum" walk back to the sidelines after a play that doesn't work well. Then when the stakes raise, he gets pissed at every little thing.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Jake Locker
Kerry Collins
Troy Smith

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll play devils advocate with it.

With the unsettled starting role in Tenn, it is VERY unlikely Kerry Collins will be allowed to leave. He is well settled in Nashville, even getting a start in the country music world just have written a song that is getting some play there. Lots of reasons why he wouldn't leave.

McNabb is interesting though nothing like his glory days. Don't think Snyder will part with him.

Hasselback will be retained to tutor a new rookie in Seattle, but after Sunday, why would we want him.

I'm OK with letting Troy and Nate Davis compete for a roster spot but not optimistic about either as being a part of the future.

That brings us back to who would be the starter until Locker gets up to speed. ??? I have been watching QBs around the league very closely ever since Alex got hurt and there just isn't anybody out there that would be as good as what we have now that will not cost a LOT in trade.

Now let me come back to you with a question. Rate the needs of the team:

QB

pass rush

CB

If you will agree with me that all three of those are critical needs on the team, and given that QB is the most important position on the team, which of those other two needs are you willing to push back to a future draft in order to solve the need for an interim QB to play until Locker gets ready?

All three (QB, CB, pass rush) are important. QB is most important in my mind, true. If we draft QB in the 1st, we obviously waive goodbye to the Fairley, Bowers, Peterson and Prince Amukamara's, in other words, the true stud defensive players we'd likely be targeting in Round 1. However we may not be in a position to draft any of these regardless, simply due to our draft position (currently 8th). If we are in a position to do so, I wouldn't be adverse to selecting one of them if we're confident a quality QB would fall to us in the 2nd (like Clausen and McCoy fell last year). But if we're picking 10th, for example, and no standout defensive superstar is available, by all means pick a QB, and target our other needs with the remainder of our draft picks.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Quote:

I don't think that's why he played well. He usually plays well when his back is to the wall with nowhere to run. The problem is, he plays like crap when he's in a comfortable situation, which will happen more often than being against the wall. He was never challenged with any other QB until Troy Smith opened up Alex's eyes.

I don't like the fact that he only plays well when he's miffed because that tells me he isn't trying his best most of the time. ---------------don't know where the quote link was broken but it should be here.

Sometimes a guy has to get just PO'd enough to say, "Eff this system. I'm tired of their BS. I'm just going to go play and if they don't like it they can stick it. I'm done here anyway."

I think that is a part of it.

The other part is that if you look at it closely, this offense has changed a lot since MJ took over. It changed a GREAT deal more on Sunday than it had previously. I believe that is the result of 3 things:

1. Most importantly, MJ has gained the ear and confidence of Singletary that Alex gave him (MJ) the opportunity to open up the play book and do some things that needed to be done. Some things were subtle but others were pretty obvious.

2. Alex has the ability to operate an offense if he is allowed to do what fits his style. (He threw the ball down the field at Utah)

3. Singletary has made some progress as a coach (I agree with Kawakami) and realized his original plan went out the window when Gore went down, hence the recognition of need for change.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Originally posted by susweel:

Dude has 2 300 yard games in 6 years, trust me he's not throwing for 4000 yards.

Even if he does who cares, let him be Minnesota's problem.

I agree, the guy just hasn't worked out for the past 5 or 6 years (also not just his fault) time to move one.

5 or 6 years of sh*t coaching, two major injuries, and a poor O-line and still is putting up decent #s (QB rating of 80 - 85).

You can make excuses until the cows come home but the fact is it hasn't worked out. Time for the team to move on.

Like it or not but Smith will always represent a failing era of 49ers football. He needs a clean start as do the niners.

You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

you are making excuses too - just in a different way

How am I making excuses ??
He needs to go. Open the cage door and let him go. Your love is like a "welcome" sign in hell. It really doesn't help make the visit any better.
Share 49ersWebzone