LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Alex Smiths PostGame Lockeroom Leadership

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
I remember once seeing a Montana locker room speech that was anything but inspiring. It's what you do on the field that inspires.
Originally posted by susweel:
Droopy dog is more inspiring then Alex.

how is what's seen on that video translated as leadership???
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
I remember once seeing a Montana locker room speech that was anything but inspiring. It's what you do on the field that inspires.

"We're gonna kick ass... and take no prisoners"

Thats exactly what I was thinking. He wasn't cool and seemed unsure of what he wanted to say, but he made a point. Ronnie Lott said afterward that Joe was never a raw-raw guy when it came to giving speeches.
LOL. Alex is a little shy. I could care less. I just want him to play well. But he's always been shy and a tad bit unsure of himself. That has been his persona in the locker room and his play on the field.

I honestly think 75% of what has happened with Alex is in his head. When he doesn't think and just chucks it like the last game he plays well. When he second guesses himself he gets the hesitation and late and inaccurate throws. If you could fix his head I think Alex could be decent. I don't know about great. But I think more of it is in his head than most people realize.

You sir, are correct.
Alex Smith is an easy guy to root for. You can tell he is giving his all when he is out on the field, and he could of easily given up by now with all that has transpired. But the guy definitely wants to be the best QB he can be.

I hope he has turned a corner and will be consistently good from now on. He has these last few games to prove something.
Was sing busy or pulling down his pants for another lockeroom....
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Two things I take out of that.

1. Sing seems very focused and subdued... I like that. No hype, it's let get serious we've got work to do.

2. Willis called on Alex to make a point and then went to him afterward. I think THAT was huge. Willis is an unquestioned leader on this team, and he showed he had Smith's back.

Granted I don't know what happened before they cut to that, but it shows me that Willis is an excellent leader and he has confidence in Smith and is pulling the rest of the team that way if they aren't already.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I agree that Alex is a "good" quaterback but in SF we need more then just a "good," QB, we need him to be very good from time to time.

You know, game winning drives, putting the team on his back to win a game when we're down. He needs to show everyone he can be that guy if not we need to find someone who can.

If we could combined Troy Smith and Alex Smith we'd have a very calm, athletic accurate quarterback with leadership skills....ummm sounds alot like that Montana fella!

Between the Smiths, who is the accurate one?

Originally posted by ninerfreak:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
People still think this guy is a good QB. :-D

he is.

come on man, no he's not. He has a long way to go, and he's already been in the league for a while. I think he can be solid, but good is a stretch.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Two things I take out of that.

1. Sing seems very focused and subdued... I like that. No hype, it's let get serious we've got work to do.

2. Willis called on Alex to make a point and then went to him afterward. I think THAT was huge. Willis is an unquestioned leader on this team, and he showed he had Smith's back.

Granted I don't know what happened before they cut to that, but it shows me that Willis is an excellent leader and he has confidence in Smith and is pulling the rest of the team that way if they aren't already.

Can't agree more with #1. Sing is finally focused.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Troy did a great job with the chance he had just kind of wish a guy who throws for 350 in his 3rd NFL start could finish out the year

no.

Troy Smith did what a good backup does. Play well for a couple of games before he got exposed like all backup QB's always do.

This!!!
I could care less about his locker room speaches as long as he keeps winning football games.
  • 49ers
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner559:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Troy did a great job with the chance he had just kind of wish a guy who throws for 350 in his 3rd NFL start could finish out the year

no.

Troy Smith did what a good backup does. Play well for a couple of games before he got exposed like all backup QB's always do.

This!!!

...and alex has never been exposed?? .....nm, it's pointless...
Share 49ersWebzone