LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Who would you rather have Alex Smith start for next season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather have Alex Smith start for next season?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by susweel:
I think you already know my answer.

The Niners?

of course...
Originally posted by Nuns:
I'd like to see him get a shot with the Vikings.

Very possible and I think he'd do well.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
As long as we're talking about the Alex Smith that showed up yesterday as opposed to the Alex Smith of the last 6+ years, we might be ok. If it's the latter Alex, let him start for AZ.

That's up to the OL and OC. Unpredictable play-calling and even just decent pass protection and you will get this Alex Smith.

Not so sure about that. There were definitely other issues regarding Alex's development/production (or lack thereof) over the last 6 years that had nothing to do with Alex. But somewhere in there, you have to find a way to produce and play consistently good football. Yes, some of that was out of his control, but some was also Alex's fault...whether it be ability, confidence or execution, some of it does fall on the player.

Some... yes. From my observations, there is always enough blame to throw around. What I think most of us do know is, at this time, Alex is not a QB that will likely win games carrying a non-existent running game on his back.... poor receiver play on his back... predictable play-calling on his back.... defensive meltdowns on his back. We should just know and accept this about him right now. There are few if any QBs that can survive this.

What I'm saying is, all he needs is decent play around him to be the QB we need to win games. It's just so rare that we get decent play from everyone... or anyone... But if they can all do their jobs to a respectable degree? Like they did yesterday? Alex Smith will do his as well.
Wow, that's kind of a scary question. Definitely not impressed with Alex, but I also know the Niners dropped the ball when it came to his development. I'll choose Arizona, because I just can't stand the possibility of another season like this with Alex. But it sure would suck to have him go to Arizona, get coached up, and kill us twice a year.
[ Edited by RedAlert on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:17 PM ]
I would like to see Alex play for us under a good offensive-minded coach. Under Nolan/Singletary the 9ers have wasted a lot of offensive talent because they had/have no clue and no desire (or no ability) to learn how to run a team to the players strengths. Brian Billick, Gruden, or Harbaugh would do things a lot different than Singletary. Pounding the ball between the taackles does not beat your opponant, scoring more points than they do does it every time it is tried.
If Smith leaves I dont want him at the cards. I'd rather him go to the Raiders, that way I know hes close enough to have around but wont see on the football field going by how many times Raiders and 9ers have gone up against each other on the field.
After yesterday...Seattle isn't a terrible spot for him. Hasslebeck is not getting younger and he's been choking worse than Alex at times. 10 year vet and he's still throwing 4 INT-games.

Places he could start immediately (not saying he'll be good..just saying he'd start right away)
Arizona - They have NO QB

Places where he could compete for a starting gig
Seattle - Hasseleback is getting old and making costly mistakes.

Buffalo - Fitzpatrick is good but wont be guaranteed a starting job with a 3-13 or 4-12 record.

Cincinnati - Carson is playing like dog sht.

Miami - Shaky QB situation down there. Alex could compete.

Oakland - It's Oakland.

Minnesota - Tavaris vs Alex...not too different.

Carolina - Clausen could pan out but maybe he needs to sit. Alex could be Clausen's "Rattay" if you will.

So basically he could garner interest from about 7 teams. MAYBE Cleveland but I think it'd make better business sense to invest in a guy like McCoy since he's younger.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
If Smith leaves I dont want him at the cards. I'd rather him go to the Raiders, that way I know hes close enough to have around but wont see on the football field going by how many times Raiders and 9ers have gone up against each other on the field.

I think the Raiders is set with Campbell for at least a few years.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by ace49ers:

I think the Raiders is set with Campbell for at least a few years.

Raiders offense is better suited for Campbell. Alex needs a team with a quick passing attack. The Raiders run game has been carrying them. McFadden and Bush are really underrated.
MIA would be a good fit

I don't think he would start elsewhere. Wait until this next game before you start engraving a plaque for him in Canton.
ya while a different coach grooms a new QB.
Originally posted by McLovin:
I think you already know my answer.

Many of us don't care. Your football knowledge is non-existent.
If he is the best guy than he starts. You don't want to be too rash and just cut guys before something better is in place.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
After yesterday...Seattle isn't a terrible spot for him. Hasslebeck is not getting younger and he's been choking worse than Alex at times. 10 year vet and he's still throwing 4 INT-games.

Places he could start immediately (not saying he'll be good..just saying he'd start right away)
Arizona - They have NO QB

Places where he could compete for a starting gig
Seattle - Hasseleback is getting old and making costly mistakes.

Buffalo - Fitzpatrick is good but wont be guaranteed a starting job with a 3-13 or 4-12 record.

Cincinnati - Carson is playing like dog sht.

Miami - Shaky QB situation down there. Alex could compete.

Oakland - It's Oakland.

Minnesota - Tavaris vs Alex...not too different.

Carolina - Clausen could pan out but maybe he needs to sit. Alex could be Clausen's "Rattay" if you will.

So basically he could garner interest from about 7 teams. MAYBE Cleveland but I think it'd make better business sense to invest in a guy like McCoy since he's younger.

Throw in Tennesee and you have 9 teams. Collins isn't getting any younger and well Young seems to be in the dog house.
Share 49ersWebzone